C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"My car is better then yours" There I said it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 03:29 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Full disclosure here, I don't own a Corvette and have been lurking in this forum for several months trying to decide on a Z06 or GS--which btw is not my purpose for posting here. They are both absolutely incredible in my view and somehow I'll come to a decision.

I currently own a 2013 Boss 302 (blast to drive), but will say that I've always caught a bit of stink eye from quite a few Shelby owners, a number of whom won't even acknowledge the car. I find it quite humorous actually, particularly given I chose the Boss over the Shelby. My reasons for doing so are my business, and I can tell you money was not one of them. Same crap here it seems....

Bottom line if you call yourself a car guy, and more importantly a decent member of the planet, a thumbs up, smile, or wave to another enthusiast should be the order of the day.
The following 3 users liked this post by lupicon:
Carvin (08-07-2017), SLOjoe (08-05-2017), woodsguy (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcn1962
Yep, I was thinking it! "My car is better then yours". I pulled up at a light yesterday beside another C7. I looked at the side gill and saw the word Grand Sport. I could see the other driver take a glance my way but he did not acknowledge my presence. At that moment I had a sense of "superiority" come over me. Call me a car snob but I was glad I was in my ZO6.

I acknowledge that the Grand Sport is the better "value" but at that moment I felt I had the better car and in 2.9 seconds when the light changed I could prove it if I wanted to. I didn't, but I could have.

When shopping for my ZO6, 7 weeks ago, there were lots of beautiful Grand Sports on the lot. But, I never considered buying one. It was for moments like I experienced at that moment at the light besides the guy in the Grand Sport that I had to have a ZO6. I never wanted to feel like, I spent $70,000 plus for this car, and if I had stretched my budget just a bit more I could have had a ZO6. I didn't want to go home and look at Autotrader and wonder what if I traded in my car how much would I lose to get a ZO6.

Yes, I probably spent more for my car then the guy in the Grand Sport, but I never ask my self "what if"? Funny thing is I only have a 1LZ and he may have had a fully loaded Grand Sport, but I still felt "Superior" (in a car sense). Yes the Grand Sport is a great car and a good "value", but at the end of the day, I'm glad I got a ZO6. At every corvette meet, I will politely compliment every corvette owner on his or her car, I will say nice things about every C7 on the forum, but in my heart I will still be thinking "My car is better then your" except if you own a higher trim level ZO6 then mine, (I'll be kinda jealous) and will rationalize My ZO6 1LZ equipped with the A8, is the fastest you can buy at the moment and is for "the purist" among the C7, family. Lol! We all rationalize our choices and find away to defend them. But, seriously, next time we pull up to a traffic light together, "my car is better then yours", and I can prove it in 2.9 seconds.
...yea, it's like that kid who wants a .50 Desert Eagle, just because its a .50 and then never knows what to do with it or where to shoot it.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

OP get over yourself....guess you made it in this world you bought a Chevy huh LOL

Last edited by cv67; 08-05-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:38 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

My car is better THAN yours.
The following 2 users liked this post by proexpert:
AaronZ51 (08-05-2017), jcsperson (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 03:46 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default GM numbers?

all the manufacturers do the same---

Originally Posted by GR Jay
I'm willing to wager that YOU can't get your Z to 60 in 2.9s so if that was reason for buying the Z you wasted your money.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:50 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jabeasley1
You are surely going to spark some forum chatter with this post. You are going to get a litany of angry post from other forum members (rationalizing choices as you have stated). I am a car guy so I love them all, especially the Corvette models...They are ALL very impressive in their own ways but I also love my Z06 like no other.
I hear other members in our Corvette Club spend time trying to explain their Grand Sport to the average person - explaining that it is a wide body stingray or a Z06 with a stingray engine or a combination of many other things. I remind them it is not a Z06. It is also not a Stingray. It is a Grand Sport with its own personality. We can talk about shared traits such as NPP, Magnetic Ride Control, etc..but your VIN and Model build clearly states one or the other. Just from personal experience, it seems like my friends spend more time explaining the Grand Sport than just talking about cars. I am surprised you guys did not lower your windows and speak to one another. Everyone is family in the corvette world here in NC.
Why wouldn't they simply tell people it's like a Z06 in every regard except for the engine?
Old 08-05-2017, 03:55 PM
RCZ51C7
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, now we wonder why Corvette owners get bad rep. The guy in the GS was probably doing his own thing and did not notice. No humility what so ever. A worthless post.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:58 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Don't mind posting pics of cars. But won't put face pics up. My practice, could get bombed. Lol!
The Mustang is in the garage and the Vette is outside - WTF?
Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
OP get over yourself....guess you made it in this world you bought a Chevy huh LOL
Grew up loving "Chevy" Dad always had one. Except, he always bought Ford trucks for his business! Go figure! Never thought to ask him why, before he departed this world. My first new car was a Chevy Chevette as a Navy Corpsmen when I was 19 years old. I bought the ZO6 because it was a ZO6 and had tons of accolades. I didn't not like corvettes up until the c7!

Originally Posted by RCZ51C7
Wow, now we wonder why Corvette owners get bad rep. The guy in the GS was probably doing his own thing and did not notice. No humility what so ever. A worthless post.
The guy did notice me, looked right at me. I am accustomed to waving at other enthusiasts. I rode a motorcycle for a few years until 2005 and always waved, At other bikers. I let motorcycles go when a elderly lady went through a light and did not see me and I jumped off the bike and let it go. I didn't get hurt, just some scrapes. I presently own a Jeep Wrangler and if anybody is familiar with the Jeep wave, understands what I'm chatting about. I started my journey with the vette waving at other drivers, but just like mustangs. No one returns the wave, or rather very few. I summarized that it's not the "vette culture". Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm sure there will be post here that will let me know.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-05-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your reply look like this.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:55 PM
RCZ51C7
Instructor

The guy did notice me, looked right at me. I am accustomed to waving at other enthusiasts. I rode a motorcycle for a few years until 2005 and always waved, At other bikers. I let motorcycles go when a elderly lady went through a light and did not see me and I jumped off the bike and let it go. I didn't get hurt, just some scrapes. I presently own a Jeep Wrangler and if anybody is familiar with the Jeep wave, understands what I'm chatting about. I started my journey with the vette waving at other drivers, but just like mustangs. No one returns the wave, or rather very few. I summarized that it's not the "vette culture". Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm sure there will be post here that will let me know.
Ok so he did not acknowledge you, big deal. We do not know if he was having a bad day, going trough a divorce, the death of a love one, it could be a million things. The post just came out wrong in every sense.

Regards,
Old 08-05-2017, 05:03 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

A Porsche is VW, a Audi is a VW, a Lamborghini Huracan is a Audi. What's your point? Nothing wrong with a "chevy". I learned to drive in a 1972 Chevy Impala. My first car I owned was a 1973 Super Beetle, that rusted through the floorboards and fell through on my way to work at NIH, there I was sitting in traffic with my seat on the ground. Lol! I've never been brand loyal. I've owned a few Porsches that tuned out to be crappy. My 2013 Porsche Boxster S, had gremlins in the audio, my wife's 2011 Porsche Boxster had the covering on the steering wheel start to flake off. My 2010 911, was a crappy unreliable car. My 2013 Maserati Granturismo Sport(awesome exhaust) was a piece of crap. My present cars(most American) 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, 2015 Mustang GT, and Hyundai Veloster are some of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I'm hoping for good luck with my ZO6, because I do plan to track it. So, saying it's a "Chevy" means nothing to me. I've had issues with so called great brands.
If you feel special sitting at a stoplight in a car of which there are ten or twenty thousand copies of, that is your choice, and we're happy you enjoy the car. It's the silly elitist tone you communicate because you chose to spend a few thousand more dollars...or a few extra dollars a month on a car payment, to have the potential to beat a Stingray or Grand Sport to 60 m.p.h. by a second.

I could just as easily start a thread about how my 3LT Z-51 package Stingray pulled up next to a entry-level Z06 at a stoplight, and I knew I made the right decision because I don't have fake leather on the dash.

Condescension is idiotic, given any reasonably ambitious person with some skill or education can buy one of these cars if they choose to.

Cars are for commuting. Corvettes add a little fun to the mundane day-to-day transportation needs. Want to go somewhere fast? Go get in an airplane.
The following 4 users liked this post by UsernameProtected:
AaronZ51 (08-05-2017), Foosh (08-05-2017), juanvaldez (08-05-2017), RedC7AZ (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 05:14 PM
RCZ51C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
If you feel special sitting at a stoplight in a car of which there are ten or twenty thousand copies of, that is your choice, and we're happy you enjoy the car. It's the silly elitist tone you communicate because you chose to spend a few thousand more dollars...or a few extra dollars a month on a car payment, to have the potential to beat a Stingray or Grand Sport to 60 m.p.h. by a second.

I could just as easily start a thread about how my 3LT Z-51 package Stingray pulled up next to a entry-level Z06 at a stoplight, and I knew I made the right decision because I don't have fake leather on the dash.

Condescension is idiotic, given any reasonably ambitious person with some skill or education can buy one of these cars if they choose to.

Cars are for commuting. Corvettes add a little fun to the mundane day-to-day transportation needs. Want to go somewhere fast? Go get in an airplane.

Last edited by RCZ51C7; 08-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:25 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected

Just depends on what is important to you. I really don't give a **** if the leather on my dash is fake or came from a dead cow. I didn't buy my Z51 as a fashion statement. Folks who think they have a faster car better be ready to prove it.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

OP....first of all, define "better".

If your definition of "better" means faster or more horsepower, fine. If it's aesthetics you're talking about, I beg to differ. If you look at the mods I've done to my Stingray, I would say that your car comes in 2nd. See, style and taste and what's better is a matter of opinion. And there's nothing wrong with you feeling the way you do. Now, if it were me, I'm not sure I would have started an entire thread about it, especially with incorrect spelling in the title.

Second, there is no "better" or "worse" on this Forum. We all own Corvettes. Your need for a ZO6 is different than the need of any other member on CorvetteForum. We are a family of owners just trying to compare notes and help each other out. There is no superiority here....

So I'm going to close this thread after 4 pages. You've been called a troll and other things. Before it gets out of hand, we'll just say, "this has been fun, but we're moving on".
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
AaronZ51 (08-05-2017), Racingswh (08-05-2017), RCZ51C7 (08-05-2017), RedC7AZ (08-05-2017)

Quick Reply: "My car is better then yours" There I said it!