Sponsored by:

Dealer test drive abuse my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:30 PM
96WhiteLT4
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dealer test drive abuse my Vette

I had to have my rear end replaced under warranty at 8000 miles on my 2014 Primere Edition Stingray Z51. Number 12-500. I have cameras in all my vehicles in case of accidents. It was in plain view and blue light blinking when car is on. After finally getting my Vette back, with scratches and mis-alignments on rear clip that they removed I reviewed the videos. The mechanic took car onto interstate and ran it up to 129 mph weaving dangerously through traffic then hitting first exit ramp. This is were I think he overheard my rotors warping them. He re-enters interstate and on interance ramp misses 2nd gear at 80 then proceeds to 140 mph. (Twice the posted speed limit) Neededless to say I'm upset as I don't drive this vette that way.

What are my options here? Take it to upper management. Put it on line? This is what I'm thinking. I don't feel they have the right to drive my pristine pride and joy like this. Not to mention the liability issues this guy is for this big dealership which sold me this beautiful Corvette. Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Popular Reply

08-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 96WhiteLT4
I had to have my rear end replaced under warranty at 8000 miles on my 2014 Primere Edition Stingray Z51. Number 12-500. I have cameras in all my vehicles in case of accidents. It was in plain view and blue light blinking when car is on. After finally getting my Vette back, with scratches and mis-alignments on rear clip that they removed I reviewed the videos. The mechanic took car onto interstate and ran it up to 129 mph weaving dangerously through traffic then hitting first exit ramp. This is were I think he overheard my rotors warping them. He re-enters interstate and on interance ramp misses 2nd gear at 80 then proceeds to 140 mph. (Twice the posted speed limit) Neededless to say I'm upset as I don't drive this vette that way.

What are my options here? Take it to upper management. Put it on line? This is what I'm thinking. I don't feel they have the right to drive my pristine pride and joy like this. Not to mention the liability issues this guy is for this big dealership which sold me this beautiful Corvette. Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds. I would be really, really upset with the dealer if this happened to me. Talk about feeling violated! Not much different than a child care provider being careless around your child! If it were one of my employees that did this, they would be fired, immediately, this is inexcusable and a hazard to innocent people.

My suggestion, think about what is owed to you. You deserve an apology, 100%, by both the dealership and the employee. You have concerns about the condition of your car, the dealership should provide a thorough inspection or pay for one and let you decide on the shop. If anything is found that could have been caused by the employee, the dealership should pay for it.

Personally, I would demand that the dealership provides you with a Chevrolet Platinum extended warranty, longest term and highest mileage available, $0 deductible, at no cost to you.

If the dealership apologizes, fires the employee, inspects your car for damage and corrects any damage found, and provides you with a GM extended warranty, I'd say that is pretty fair.

Just my $.02!

Best of luck!
Old 08-06-2017, 08:35 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Personally...I'd set up a meeting with upper management at the dealer. I'd roll in with the footage, show it to them, and say...I'm walking out of here and doing so loudly. Tell me what you are going to offer me for this footage. I'd put the ball in their court. Tell them, I walk out of here, not only do I put this in hands of police, but also local media. I'll take a chunk out of your bottom line with the negative publicity of it.

It's not about the facts, or what you will do later, but simply a hand to play, face to face. See what their response is, tell them they have 1 business day to decide. Tell them you want compensated then let them decide how to move forward.
The following users liked this post:
96WhiteLT4 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:37 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Unreal! I certainly would move this up the chain.

Last edited by sTz; 08-06-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Get an attorney, let them see the video, then take their advice. Without the implication that legal action is forthcoming, you're just protesting. A lawyer sends a totally different message.
The following 9 users liked this post by Silver C7:
///ADMAN (08-08-2017), 96WhiteLT4 (08-06-2017), Art17 (08-06-2017), Coach Yocs (08-08-2017), Dogfather6 (08-08-2017), Frodo (08-07-2017), LB001 (08-08-2017), Maslo (08-07-2017), ZenicaPA (08-08-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Post back here what you do and what the results are.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:41 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Does your video include audio? If so, it's illegal and useless (and no, you can't just strip the audio from the file later, that's still illegal). Blinking lights mean nothing, you need a signed waiver to record both. So that'd be the end of that.

But what would you like them to do, exactly? Shoot the tech and burn down the dealership? A cash settlement for angst and suffering? Putting it online just sounds like revenge to me, and we're not 12.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck that someone disrespected your car, but was there damage you're asking them to fix? Rotors don't warp from driving. Or just hurt feelings because they shouldn't drive your car like that? If it's the latter, move and and find a new dealership.

Not trying to be an ***, I do sympathize, I just don't get what can be done about it. What's the lawyer going to ask for, a buyback?

Last edited by davepl; 08-06-2017 at 08:44 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by davepl:
kenownr (08-08-2017), Maxie2U (08-07-2017), rm50 (08-08-2017), Steve_R (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 PM
96WhiteLT4
Instructor

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Personally...I'd set up a meeting with upper management at the dealer. I'd roll in with the footage, show it to them, and say...I'm walking out of here and doing so loudly. Tell me what you are going to offer me for this footage. I'd put the ball in their court. Tell them, I walk out of here, not only do I put this in hands of police, but also local media. I'll take a chunk out of your bottom line with the negative publicity of it.

It's not about the facts, or what you will do later, but simply a hand to play, face to face. See what their response is, tell them they have 1 business day to decide. Tell them you want compensated then let them decide how to move forward.
I didn't think about the legal part of this....very good point. Should I maintain possession of videos or allow them to have them? Should I wait till they fix the alignment issues and paint first or never let them put their hands on it again?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Curious, does the video capture the "suspect" doing the driving & is it time/date stamped. I'm with the talk to lawyer first option so as to not come off as perhaps "blackmail", yes I know it's not but that's the appearance to some & maybe even law enforcement.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

So, what should op do? Just sit at home with his tongue in his pocket? Paul
ZenicaPA (08-08-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:47 PM
96WhiteLT4
Instructor

Originally Posted by defaria
Post back here what you do and what the results are.
Will do.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Everyone goes to "legal"...it's not about consent, what happens in court 2 yrs from now. This isn't worth a court case or the financial and physical energy to go through it all.

This is cards to play behind closed doors and the play the hand heavy. You have a WORLD of opportunity before court or attorneys get involved. Show them the footage, lay out what you intend to do with it.

Court and attorneys cost everyone money...no one wants to be there. You have that on your side, but even larger you have the negative repercussion of exposing it. I'd say your nephew has a local social media channel with 1.2 million followers and your brother works for the local news. I'd also say you intend to press charges.

You have a HUGE opportunity to bluff...for free...and if you play your cards right you win
The following 4 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
96WhiteLT4 (08-06-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (08-07-2017), Maxie2U (08-07-2017), z edge (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:51 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Keep in mind, many people talk about going to war with companies...I, on the other hand, do so...frequently. Property owners, management companies, a local finance company...I could go on and on. Several people have skin in that game and have something to lose....exploit that.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
96WhiteLT4 (08-06-2017), z51vett (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:52 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Tech should be fired. If he did this to your car he is doing it to others. Dealer should replace the rotors and offer free service fir the next few visits.

He could have killed someone.

Last edited by thill444; 08-06-2017 at 08:53 PM.
96WhiteLT4 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

How do you know he ran it up to 129MPH ?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Social media today, then show it to the dealer tomorrow, online. The damage is done, now it's your turn. The dealer didn't give you a choice, you should do the same. In today's social atmosphere, there is no excuse for this, and if you didn't get it on video someone else could have or did. At 140, he had to be passing other cars, some of which could have also recorded it. Your outcome likely depends on how big the dealer is, and how badly they could be hurt by this if at all. It's possible they don't care, considering the employees they have. Your car is not the first customer car this guy beat on.

Last edited by proexpert; 08-06-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

In today's world (social media) everyone is quick to say go negative on businesses with bad press. Just remember most companies have much deeper pockets & "can" put a serious hurt on people. On news last few days, a woman wedding photographer sued folks waging a social media attack trying to put her out of business. Court gave her $1 million from defendants. She is not the only company fighting back, there have been many others, google them. Just saying!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:23 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Does your video include audio? If so, it's illegal and useless (and no, you can't just strip the audio from the file later, that's still illegal). Blinking lights mean nothing, you need a signed waiver to record both. So that'd be the end of that.
Ah, excuse me but recording somebody and getting consent from both parties is only required in certain states. And it's not illegal to remove the audio from the file later. If you think it is then please cite the relevant section of the law. In fact, IIRC the PDR recordings while in Valet Mode purposely do not record audio. So if you remove the audio from a video then it's no different than a video produced by the PDR in Valet mode. IOW there's really no way for anybody to tell you stripped the audio.

But what would you like them to do, exactly? Shoot the tech and burn down the dealership? A cash settlement for angst and suffering? Putting it online just sounds like revenge to me, and we're not 12.
Yeah but now the revenge is even sweeter! What the dealer did is wrong and he should be exposed for it! The public oughta know. If the dealer isn't willing to make amends then remove the audio and caption the scenes with word overlays that strictly says only the facts of what happened, get a burner account in Slovenia or some place and upload it to YouTube and social media! If it's like the PDR that the vette has you cannot see the person who is driving so you're just showing that some unknown driver, who happens to work as a mechanic at the dealership named <x> decided to race your vette around town. They cannot claim slander because 1) it's true! And 2) they can't trace the upload to you and 3) you're not naming the individual mechanic just the business that he works for for allowing this obviously illegal act to take place. There have been a few videos shared with the local media when dealers mechanics or valet people abuse the car in their care. I've seen them on TV. Obviously those people didn't get into trouble for reporting it.

Yeah call a lawyer, but call the Better Business Bureau and the local news action line and ask them.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck that someone disrespected your car, but was there damage you're asking them to fix? Rotors don't warp from driving. Or just hurt feelings because they shouldn't drive your car like that? If it's the latter, move and and find a new dealership.

Not trying to be an ***, I do sympathize, I just don't get what can be done about it. What's the lawyer going to ask for, a buyback?
Do not let people like this get over on you!
The following 2 users liked this post by defaria:
96WhiteLT4 (08-06-2017), bjones7131 (08-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer test drive abuse my Vette

Old 08-06-2017, 09:37 PM
96WhiteLT4
Instructor

To answer some of the very good questions being asked. The video has time and dates stamps as well as speed and gps coordinates. Yes it has audio which is not illegal. This is not wire tapping. This is a Public Bussiness which by the way has cameras everywhere. They agreed to work on and drive it with the camer in full view on windshield. This camer is available to anyone everywhere. You can view these videos all over the Internet. Also a quick Google on this "Audio is illegal response " is this. "Cameras are allowed in areas where one does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy ". Also as far as "recording audio". All it captures is the radio and the engine and exhaust. Does not show who's driving. Obviously easy to prove but that's not my concern as my complaint goes to Dealership.

Yes it was driven dangerously weaving through traffic at 140 mph, with my license plate on it. Wonder who has called it in!? He also did 70 in a 45 mph zone with busy traffic leaving the dealership!

I agree it should not have warped roters. After all this is a Z51 but none the less when I picked it up and first applied brakes it was pulsing. This car has just over 8k miles and has never been driven aggressively. This guy reved it high. Missing a shift. Broke the tires loose getting side ways a bit so when someone drives my Vette harder than I ever have I feel somewhat violated. I'm not nieve, this is my sixth Corvette and I have driven them hard but not this one...yet.

When I mentioned legal I was referring to the fact this guy can be arrested with this video. I have no sympathy for people like this. If he has did this to my car he has been doing it to others.

I will talk first and show them vids. If I put online first I give up my bargening power. I have been abused by companies so many times. I'm tired of letting it go weather harmed was done or not. I believe in this case harm was done.

Last edited by 96WhiteLT4; 08-06-2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Add
The following 3 users liked this post by 96WhiteLT4:
bjones7131 (08-07-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (08-07-2017), Krenath (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

Bingo. It seems completely reasonable to me that you want some type of action taken. It also seems reasonable that you would have some idea of what you'd like that action to consist of. BTW, when I say "action" I mean steps that include but are not limited to some sort of compensation.
FLATJ (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:48 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Ah, excuse me but recording somebody and getting consent from both parties is only required in certain states. And it's not illegal to remove the audio from the file later. If you think it is then please cite the relevant section of the law. In fact, IIRC the PDR recordings while in Valet Mode purposely do not record audio. So if you remove the audio from a video then it's no different than a video produced by the PDR in Valet mode. IOW there's really no way for anybody to tell you stripped the audio.
Yes, it's called tampering with evidence.

In this case (state laws vary on one or two party consent) the OP obtained evidence of a violation of MV statues, numerous while surreptitiously recording a third party as the OP was not present.

When the OP reviewed the captured footage ANY TAINTING or deleting of the video would be considered tampering.. the problem with NOT deleting the audio is then was this an illegal wiretap? the answer is Yes.. there was no consensual agreement signed by the driver of the vehicle and no Judge authorized the wiretap so there you have it.

Now, if the audio never existed then no issues whatsoever.

OP, i would absolutely bring the video in and show it to the Dealer Principal and ONLY the Dealer principal. keep it casual but stern. He/she will make it right by you.. If they don't then if you put them on blast? so be it.. just remember what i mentioned about the illegal wiretap if audio exists, you did not say that it did here I believe? so nobody here can dispute that fact

Maybe you get new brakes all around and free oil changes and 20% repairs parts and labor for the life of the car... get that in writing for "customer satisfaction program" or whatever they feel like calling it and be done.

In future if ANYONE has a system like this have the audio nixed so you avoid this issue.. in NJ it's a 4th degree crime iirc?

New Jersey’s wiretapping and electronic surveillance control act is similar to the federal wiretapping statute. It attempts to monitor and control wiretapping and making recordings. This statute focuses on the intent of the person making the recording. Additionally, criminal responsibility may lie if a person distributes an audio recording that was illegally obtained so long as the person knew that the recording was unlawful.
^^^^ don't you wish you didn't tell us now? lol that's just NJ, very liberal state.. one of only a few that require a SW to go through someone's trash which is say curbside in a receptacle

let us know how you make out.

Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard (not by themselves and on a cell phone while seated in their residence or vehicle for example).

If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private.

In addition to subjecting you to criminal prosecution, violating the Florida wiretapping law can expose you to a civil lawsuit for damages by an injured party.
^^ that's a problem for you. worse than NJ lol.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 08-06-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer test drive abuse my Vette