Inside hatch peeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:02 PM
ta66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inside hatch peeling

Not my vehicle but a friends car ,

The black on the inside hatch is flaking off and the red paint is being exposed.
Has anyone had this issue ?

Old 08-08-2017, 05:48 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Is your friend using any product(s) to clean the hatch inside. If so, they might be the cause of peeling.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:33 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Have not noticed any peeling, but then again, my hatch is closed most of the time.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 PM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't know what kind of paint they used....don't know if you can call it paint. MILD Soap and water is about all you can use. I used alcohol to remove some gummy stuff and it took off the 1st layer of black (paint). ugh
Old 08-09-2017, 07:53 AM
ta66
Heel & Toe

thanks for the reply's
spoke to him last night and he's never used any cleaning products on the inside .

dealer is no help , so now the its been escalated to GM , let see what they say
Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

The hatch has been repainted. And whoever did it was very sloppy in taping it off, prep, etc. Since they did a sloppy job there, I guarantee you'll find other places on the car where you'll see it's been done. Did your friend buy it used?
Old 08-09-2017, 03:58 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

I have this on my 14 Velocity Yellow...it is the underside of the hatch so it does not really bother me.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default 16 z06

Discovered at PDI, seen other undersides with same issue. just accept or maybe wrap it
Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Just remembered that I had a couple of places where the red paint showed in the corners below the glass. I only noticed them because I could see them in the mirror when the sun was just right.
I just got some semi-gloss black model paint and touched them up.

That may be the best solution for you too. The touch up will also seal the edge and prevent further peeling.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
The hatch has been repainted. And whoever did it was very sloppy in taping it off, prep, etc. Since they did a sloppy job there, I guarantee you'll find other places on the car where you'll see it's been done. Did your friend buy it used?
I don't think this is necessarily true. I have seen others that come from the factory that look this bad. There are other threads on this subject.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

^^^^ I guess nothing should surprise me when it comes to things that might come thru from a (any) factory. But, if this came from BG this way, the hatch was repainted after the trim was on - and very sloppy work as evidenced by the way the trim panel was taped off. I would really like to believe that nothing like this could come out of BG. If it was a new car on a lot exhibiting this, I would suggest that there was transit/dealer damage and the dealer 'fixed' it. Someone did, and I really don't want to believe it would come that way from BG. That's why I was wondering if the car was purchased used.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

...the hatch was repainted after the trim was on...
Yes, the outside of the hatch is painted after the inside panel is attached to it on every car. My GS and my 2014 Z51 both have small spots where paint got to the edge of the inside piece.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 PM
ta66
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by c54u
Is your friend using any product(s) to clean the hatch inside. If so, they might be the cause of peeling.
according to him , no
hes actually only had it opened 4x since purchase

purchased brand new , hatch has never been painted
we have however repainted the left 1/4 and rear bumper (not that it applies here )

^^^^ I guess nothing should surprise me when it comes to things that might come thru from a (any) factory. But, if this came from BG this way, the hatch was repainted after the trim was on - and very sloppy work as evidenced by the way the trim panel was taped off. I would really like to believe that nothing like this could come out of BG. If it was a new car on a lot exhibiting this, I would suggest that there was transit/dealer damage and the dealer 'fixed' it. Someone did, and I really don't want to believe it would come that way from BG. That's why I was wondering if the car was purchased used.
purchased new
that trim panel is actually bonded on to the hatch , removing it would most likely crack it
My body shop is the dealers preferred body shop , I know for a fact that it wasn"t damaged on the lot or transit

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
Yes, the outside of the hatch is painted after the inside panel is attached to it on every car. My GS and my 2014 Z51 both have small spots where paint got to the edge of the inside piece.
I have heard the inside panel is not a serviceable part. Comes with the hatch

so a update on what GM is saying (which isn't much )
they really have no idea on what to do with this issue .
Yes, we can repaint the hatch and the inside then mask off the red and spray the panel black , but that"s unacceptable to my customer / friend

I have the feeling GM is going to bite the bullet and send us a replacement hatch under warranty

will update on the outcome

thanks for the feedback
Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

The inside panel is bonded to the outside panel before it is painted. I'd be surprised if it was even painted at Bowling Green. Probably painted at Continental Structural Plastics where it was made. It's not a class "A" surface, and therefore is probably within tolerance. Tell your friend not to sweat the small stuff.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:01 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
The inside panel is bonded to the outside panel before it is painted. I'd be surprised if it was even painted at Bowling Green. Probably painted at Continental Structural Plastics where it was made. It's not a class "A" surface, and therefore is probably within tolerance. Tell your friend not to sweat the small stuff.
You must be joking ...you find this paint peeling normal ?

You could go out and purchase a $20,000 car and it would not have this poor workmanship .... must say you are one loyal customer ..
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by bbcb
You must be joking ...you find this paint peeling normal ?

You could go out and purchase a $20,000 car and it would not have this poor workmanship .... must say you are one loyal customer ..
What's peeling? The pictures I see show red exterior paint on top of the interior panel at its edge where it was masked.

Get notified of new replies

To Inside hatch peeling

Quick Reply: Inside hatch peeling