When did you first fall in love with America's Sports Car? - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did you first fall in love with America's Sports Car?

Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #61
MarkB3
CF Senior Member

OP, you started an interesting thread here.

I grew up at Fort Benning in the '60's. My friends and I had really only one interest, besides girls and beer. That was muscle cars. And there's nothing a brand new just-commissioned junior officer wants to buy as much as a muscle car. So our roads were full of new Corvettes. As children of senior enlisted men, we couldn't afford anything new, and especially not a Corvette. So while we saw a lot of Corvettes and lusted after them, we bought Chevell's, Super Sports, Impalas, Nova's, Barracuda's. So I've loved Corvettes since I was 15 years old.

When I retired from my seconds and third careers, my interest in Corvettes rekindled. At 61 years old I bought a C3 almost exactly like the first Vette I ever rode in at 16, right down to the same color and drivetrain. I finished the restoration on it and sold it to buy a newer vette with more power. After a couple of years at 400 HP, I traded that one in for a much newer GS vert.....and more power.

Last edited by MarkB3; 08-14-2017 at 04:54 PM.
MarkB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #62
LimaCharlie
CF Senior Member

I was six when the 1953 Corvettes came out. It was love at first sight. My sister fell in love with the Thunderbird when it came out. We made a bet around 1955 or 1956. I said I was going to get a black Corvette and my sister said she would get a pink Thunderbird first. The bet was for a quarter. My sister never did get a Thunderbird. I have owned three Corvettes, but never a black one.
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #63
fourmat
CF Senior Member

I was 8 when neighbor bought a 63 vert he had a buddy with a split window. I always helped him wax his car The vert was silver blue and the split was tuxedo black
fourmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #64
LbulletM
CF Senior Member

When the C6 Z06 came out and basically looked like a Ferrari to 15 year old me with the fixed headlights and little hood inlet. Told myself that I would have a C6 someday.

8 years later, I picked up my base '07, and a little over a week ago I picked up my fully loaded 2014 with a hair over 2000 miles on it. Both have been my daily drivers!
LbulletM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #65
redman76
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
Yeah, I knew what it was. I was a car nut back then. To top it off, we lived pretty close to Woodward Ave. So, I'd take my best friend and we'd go cruise Woodward Ave with it. All the GTO's, Cuda's, Chevelle SS's, etc. took one look at it and just shook their heads saying "No".

For all the youngsters, here is a controversial GM ad from "back in the day":

And here's a book on "Cruising the Legendary Strip":

I'm driving my '17 GS from Nashville to the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise this weekend. It will be my first time to actually drive Woodward. Looking forward to it.

As a kid growing up in the 60's, I loved all the muscle cars. At 15, working at a fast food joint, I remember seeing a black '63 split window coupe drive through. Ever since then I loved corvettes. I bought my first one about 12 years ago . . . red '76 seen in my avatar. I factory ordered my AW M7 GS and have been enjoying it immensely, so much so that the '76 is starting to feel neglected.
redman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #66
449er
CF Senior Member

My story goes like this... In 1975 I was 16 years old & my buddy & I both had 2nd gen Camaros that we worked on over at his house. His father had the big dog of all Corvettes, a 67 427/435 car that we both wished to have. One Friday night, his father comes down stairs & tells us, go ahead & take the Corvette out for a spin, but be careful. Well we both almost fell over & quickly jumped into the car & fired her up. We drifted down the street out of earshot & ripped through the gears a couple of times. I can still remember the sounds inside of the car like it was yesterday.... I told myself at that point that I will own a Corvette someday
449er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #67
mtaxman
CF Senior Member

My dad worked for Chevy as a Zone guy. Always was a Chevy kid. Route 66 featured a corvette; Dan Blocker of Bonanza TV fame was a corvette endorser sort of - used in commercials. As a corporate employee, my dad was sent the early "Corvette News" magazine.
He had a small suit pocket booklet that allowed me to "build my own" Chevy and I spent hours "building" and specing corvettes.

So, I guess it was right around 1960, when I was 10.
mtaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #68
brettmess24
CF Senior Member

I'm close to falling in love with my grand sport, really had to have a C7 when I saw a Shark gray ZO6/ZO7 with Stage 3 exposed carbon fiber package.

Born in 79 and have been mostly riding the two wheel performance fun technology! Started with my Tricycle then dirt bikes then eventually bought my first road bike after I saw the Ducati 916 add in sports illustrated that had two airline pilots sitting in the cockpit with the 916 picture in the visor dropped down, which is usually reserved for the beach photo. Lol My first road legal motorcycle was a 748L that was sold by Neiman Marcus but then sold at discount to ducati dealers that had race teams. HMC. Eventually wrecking, racing, building, racing and more wrecking ducatis and triumphs.

I moved back to the Midwest.
Sold all the Ducati's and kept one full carbon fiber corse built 916.

GM released the grand sport and I immediately sold my 15 1LE Camaro.........GS and ThruxtonR I'm gettingn my fix

Favorite car has to be F355 Berlinetta in Silver. Can't afford the valve job and I hated doing desmoquattro valves. Damn I had nightmares and might tonight, Desmoquattro valves would always eat themselves and destroy the rockers sometimes valves.....no thanks$$$$$$!!

Ill stop rambling now, C7 checks all the right boxes and have always liked corvettes it would almost be un American not too!

Last edited by brettmess24; 08-14-2017 at 10:38 PM.
brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #69
lavla
CF Senior Member

My friend convinced me to buy this 69 used Stingray and the love affair hasn't abated since.

Last edited by lavla; 08-20-2017 at 09:41 PM.
lavla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #70
Kevin A Jones
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, it's great seeing these old photos, thanks for taking the time to share them!
Kevin A Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin A Jones For This Useful Post:
lavla (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #71
ersatz928
CF Senior Member

For me it was when my buddy took me for a ride in a 1985 C4.....I was dead-set on buying a used Porsche 944 before that ride....then it was a C4, a C5, and now a C7.

Last edited by ersatz928; 08-15-2017 at 04:04 PM.
ersatz928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • When did you first fall in love with America's Sports Car?
  •