Sponsored by:

Removal of factory clear film on the rockers

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Default Removal of factory clear film on the rockers

Yes, this is a very simple topic, but figured I would make a quick and easy post for anyone thinking about doing it, or nervous to do it themselves.

The film on my 2014 has gotten very yellow'd and nasty looking so it was time to come off. With my sideskirts now on, I haven't decided if I'll have new film applied or not.

On a hot summer day it couldn't be easier! It was 90F+ here yesterday and all I had to do was pick at a corner of it with my fingernail, then grab and slowly peel it off. I pulled it straight out from the car and that worked well taking most the adhesive off with the film. The adhesive that did remain on the paint was quick work with a few applications of GooGone and a microfiber rag. Once I had all the adhesive cleaned off, I went over everything with a spray detailer, and then a spray wax after that. The GooGone leaves an oily residue so you will want to get it off.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kracka:
Hollingswerth (06-22-2017), joemessman (08-15-2017), maxp (06-22-2017), rmorin1249 (06-23-2017), tcinla (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

since you have a 2014 you'd be in a position to see i the film actually did any work prior your putting on side rockers. how long did you have the car before putting on the side rockers ?Was there any indication that the film was pitted or otherwise marked ?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
since you have a 2014 you'd be in a position to see i the film actually did any work prior your putting on side rockers. how long did you have the car before putting on the side rockers ?Was there any indication that the film was pitted or otherwise marked ?
The film down there gets knicked and marked quickly without side rockers. I have a Z51 tire and wheel car ZF1 pkg, the front sticky MPSS tires throw so much debris back, I removed the front MPSS tires and put on a summer performance tire with a 560 tread wear rating, no more pitting of the rear wheels or the rocker and 1/4 panels.
The following users liked this post:
sabasigh (08-14-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tcinla
34k miles on my car (2014 Z51) so it's seen it's fair share of road debris and the factory film showed it. The film was very yellowed, stained, and beat up; it was time for it to come off. It did serve it's purpose though as the condition of the paint underneath the film was flawless, where around it there are rock chips and misc. road rash marks.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

FWIW, Reoved my plastic film several months after I installed side skirts on my September 2013 built Z51. Did as the OP mentioned for 90% of the removal, i.e. pulled the plastic at 90 degrees from the surface. The adhesive came off with the plastic. Like the OP I waited for a warm day.

On the first side I slide along the ground and pulled at ~130 degree angle between the film and car. The adhesive stuck on the car not the plastic for about 8 inches along the rocker bottom, it was not very high. That took 20 minutes to remove using a 3M ahdhesive remover! Real PIA.

Can't emphasize enough to pull at 90 degrees. Some say that they pulled at ~60/70 degrees, i.e. less than 90 and it was fine. The film is very strong, it will not break.

Sold my Z51 after 3 1/2 years and the rockers looked new. The side skirts did their job.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-23-2017 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kracka (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

With with your experience, it sounds like getting the film replaced if you have sideskirts isn't a necessity? Which skirts did you have?

Last edited by Kracka; 06-23-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:37 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I was wondering if you removed the factory film, if there would be small paint chips in the shape of the film where it was not protected?

On my previous Corvettes, I finally just accepted that there would be small paint chips and did not get down and look at the lower rocker panels when I washed the car... Saved me a lot of grief.

I have noticed on our Malibu, it has some sort of textured paint on the rocker panel that seems to resist chips well without any other protection. Maybe GM should use that on all the cars.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-23-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
With with your experience, it sounds like getting the film replaced if you have sideskirts isn't a necessity? Which skirts did you have?
I had LG Motorsports carbon fiber side skirts on my Z51 and they did the job of protecting the rockers. I had installed GM splash guards that did little for the front, IMO and worked for the short section of the rear. I have a location near my home where a gravel road intersects our paved road and can hear the stones hit the bottom of the side skirts but nothing above. No need to replace the plastic.

For my new Grand Sport ordered the Stage 2 aero package that includes full length carbon fiber side skirts that are painted carbon flash. I also installed the slightly wider and deeper ACS front splash guards and GM in the rear. As with my Z51 can hear stones hit the bottom of the side skirts but no marks on the rockers above.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-23-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:28 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
Had not noticed the film when I picked up my '18 Stingray friday. I waxed it yesterday and then noticed it. IMO, looks like dog poop...pulled it off, slow but easy to do. Had glue residue that I scraped off with finger nail and a plastic ruler, believe it or not...then WD40 to get final film off. Wiped it down and waxed it. In all honesty, thought it was shipping protection someone forgot to take off! When it came off, could see it was "supposed" to be there...have the splash flaps which should give enough protection. Just my 2 cents, but I don't like the clear bras and this is the same category.
That area in front of the wheel opening halfway down is going to get chipped badly with out that chip protection.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:40 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

I found that I was getting damage to the paint between the two pieces of the clear film right on the crease line. Took off the film the same way but still had some adhesive to deal with.

Noticed lots of markings, dents and chips plus a bit of yellow on the film but it did protect the paint it covered.. Car is a z51 2016 picked up oct 15.

Installed ACS full length skirts. Painted flat black & it matches the poverty splitter very nicely. Also put two coats of truck bedliner spray on the bottom for protection.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Rsaodom
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

I removed mine as well, and immediately had it covered with SunTek Ultra.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
If so, I will probably end up using Dr. Colorchip, or whatever it's called, and then having 3M put on.
Dr. ColorChip has been serving me very well.

Get notified of new replies

To Removal of factory clear film on the rockers

Quick Reply: Removal of factory clear film on the rockers