C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any options for a place you can drive (legally) as fast as you want to?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:55 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

OP, please do us all a favor and learn to drive the car. You have been driving econo crap boxes and probably have no idea what to do, or what the car will do, at double the speed limit.

Please take some professional instruction before you let yourself loose on the rest of us...
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Mlcn62
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a thread on this forum about the Utah flats! Weigh the pros and cons! Personally I'm just going to go to New Jersey Motorsports Park. Soon as I stop staring at my car and risk some track time! Lol!
The following users liked this post:
TamiamiThomas (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Sun Valley Road Rally in Idaho. 82 year old grandma hit 171 in her C5.

How about a Bugatti Veyon at 246.4 MPH.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-15-2017 at 10:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Jedi-Jurist (08-17-2017), OnPoint (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 06:47 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Bugatti sounded like a low fly-by. Geez.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

I commend you and others willing to drive your corvettes as God and GM intended... at least once!
I think you should dial back your goal from "fast as I want" to more realistic and probably slower "Fast as fear and common sense will allow"

A lifetime of driving even on super highways will not make you a skilled or safe driver at extreme speeds. Even in the very capable GS, 150 mph feels much different than 120mph, and 175 feels that much different than 150 mph especially if its your first time.

I know you just want to go out on a deserted road and just blow it out but... Do yourself a favor and seek out an organization that provides seat time and instruction for novices at real race tracks. Its so much safer in every way and you may actually learn something that will make you a better driver overall. Florida has two iconic tracks; Sebring and Daytona.

Sebring has a 3000 ft back straight that will afford you an opportunity to let it all hang out. Just be aware, that next turn is a bitch! Thats where you will appreciate the instructor sitting next to you. You will likely realize that you don't have to go really fast to experience the thrill. Its all about the G forces.

Daytona would be much the same and there are many other smaller tracks. Chin Motorsports is very active in Florida.

If you don't want to commit to a weekend or even a full day, many outfits offer some kind of Hyper drive; usually includes one classroom session and one 20 minute track session with an instructor riding along for a very reasonable price. No special preparations necessary, just properly maintained vehicle. Most also have a limited supply of rental helmets available.
Good luck and enjoy that new GS
Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 PM
TamiamiThomas
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueray16
I commend you and others willing to drive your corvettes as God and GM intended... at least once!
I think you should dial back your goal from "fast as I want" to more realistic and probably slower "Fast as fear and common sense will allow"

A lifetime of driving even on super highways will not make you a skilled or safe driver at extreme speeds. Even in the very capable GS, 150 mph feels much different than 120mph, and 175 feels that much different than 150 mph especially if its your first time.

I know you just want to go out on a deserted road and just blow it out but... Do yourself a favor and seek out an organization that provides seat time and instruction for novices at real race tracks. Its so much safer in every way and you may actually learn something that will make you a better driver overall. Florida has two iconic tracks; Sebring and Daytona.

Sebring has a 3000 ft back straight that will afford you an opportunity to let it all hang out. Just be aware, that next turn is a bitch! Thats where you will appreciate the instructor sitting next to you. You will likely realize that you don't have to go really fast to experience the thrill. Its all about the G forces.

Daytona would be much the same and there are many other smaller tracks. Chin Motorsports is very active in Florida.

If you don't want to commit to a weekend or even a full day, many outfits offer some kind of Hyper drive; usually includes one classroom session and one 20 minute track session with an instructor riding along for a very reasonable price. No special preparations necessary, just properly maintained vehicle. Most also have a limited supply of rental helmets available.
Good luck and enjoy that new GS
Thanks. I did say legal way to go fast- not going to risk anyone's life on public road speeding. I was thinking I might take up the offer on the half price driving school out in NV. That sounds like a good start, then after that look into one of the options people have been mentioning here.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 PM
TamiamiThomas
Intermediate

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1595365535]Sun Valley Road Rally in Idaho. 82 year old grandma hit 171 in her C5.

This one looks cool, but a little spendy for one time down the hill!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

The Corvette owner's school at Spring Mountain is an excellent idea. I believe that every new Corvette buyer no matter what skill level, should take advantage of this great opportunity.
You have only to read the many outstanding reviews on the forum to see the benefits,
Enjoy
Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by blueray16
So true.

That fear and common sense (and it being my first time) kept me at 131 instead of going deeper into triple digits like I had wanted to do. The instructors told us ahead of time to start braking when you pass the first of 3 sets of red cones, but I braked way sooner just out of caution, fear, and my inexperience.

Maybe I'll try for 140 next time.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TamiamiThomas
I would really like to drive my car in a straight line and go as fast as it can go. Is there anywhere in the US where you can do that, like an old airport runway or something? I suppose legal issues make it unlikely. I don't want to race or go around in circles, I just want to open it up on a long straightaway.

Is there anywhere anyone knows of where this is possible with a stock car? (don't want to put in roll bars or something just for this dumb idea)
thanks for any ideas.
Last October I got to drive my 2016 M7 Stingray 175 mph on an airport runway in California.

See this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-5-miles.html

While I do agree with those who suggest you get training before going really fast (and I have) 175 mph felt like a non-event. Allegedly the car can do over 190 (but not from a standing start in 1.5 miles) and I wouldn't hesitate to drive the car that speed.
The following users liked this post:
ExRedRacer (08-16-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 PM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Do it here.

https://shift-s3ctor.com

Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
So true.

That fear and common sense (and it being my first time) kept me at 131 instead of going deeper into triple digits like I had wanted to do. The instructors told us ahead of time to start braking when you pass the first of 3 sets of red cones, but I braked way sooner just out of caution, fear, and my inexperience.

Maybe I'll try for 140 next time.
Yessir, my first time at Watkins Glen heading for the bustop at 125 and the instructor told me to lift at the 200 ft marker and brake at 100. Strong sense for self preservation would not allow me wait that long. I think I was already on the brakes at the 600 ft marker
Old 08-16-2017, 12:53 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Rode with my friend in his Porsche at The Glen. Did about a buck forty coming into the bus stop. Takes a bit of nerve to come in there hot. Probably the thing I like best and least about the Corvette is how fast it is. Not afraid of speed at all but cops are another story. Very hard to be totally stupid.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

[QUOTE=TamiamiThomas;1595371220]
Originally Posted by JoesC5
Sun Valley Road Rally in Idaho. 82 year old grandma hit 171 in her C5.

This one looks cool, but a little spendy for one time down the hill!
Yep, $1,950 is not for the faint at heart, but you did ask where you could do a top speed run LEGALLY. 4 mile run...1.8 miles to accelerate and 2 miles to brake.

I don't know of a single race track that has a long enough straight to do an all out run to the car's top speed. There is a private 7.5 mile oval with 2 mile straights in Ohio, but it is a private track(not a public race track like Talladega, Daytona, Pocono, that can be rented). Even the long straight at Nurburgring isn't long enough to let a Corvette hit it's top speed. The 2012 ZR1 with it's top speed of 205 MPH, only hit 183 at the Ring. The 2012 Z06 with it's top speed of 198 MPH, only hit 171 at the Ring.

I've driven Talladega, 2.66 mile oval(and 1/10 the price of Sun Valley) several times and it has a 4,000 feet backstretch and I was able to hit 162 in my C6 Z06. I might have been able to get a couple of more MPH, but I kept running down the slower car that was in front of me, before I wanted to start braking for turn #3.

One thing about the Sun Valley Road Rally, the road condition is safe enough to do 250 MPH, and all you need is a helmet and no expensive roll cages etc like at the Texas Big Bend Open Road race, to run in the unlimited class.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I believe they have a 1/2 mile event in Ocala, FL every year.

Check out https://wannagofast.com/
Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

New owner? If you bought it new, you should do the Ron Fellows (Spring Mountain) school in NV. You won't go super-duper fast, but you'll learn how to drive the car. Then you can do some local HPDE events. As mentioned, going fast in turns is much more fun than going straight.

No one should go the kind of speeds that you are talking about on a public road, period.

Any moron can go 150 MPH. It takes a bit of experience and skill to slow down rapidly from that speed. If someone or something appears unexpectedly at that speed, you are toast. You and the unfortunate other person.

Last edited by yeller z06; 08-16-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

You're in Florida, so come on up to Daytona to run one of the track events on the Rolex24 roadcourse at the Daytona Int'l Speedway.

You won't get up to the absolute top speed the car is capable of, but you can get pretty close.

Daytona isn't cheap, but you'll get 2 to 2-1/2 hours of track time per day.

Most of the events are run in the fall (1 in April, all the rest in Oct or Dec). They are mostly 3 day events, but you can run 1, 2, or all 3 days.

The next event is a very good one - the PDG (Performance Driving Group) event Oct 6-8. However, Sun will only be for solo drivers in the Intermediate and Advanced run groups. The Novice/Begginer run group will run on Fri and Sat. Here's a link to info, and you can go to the PDG site and see that if you run 1 day (either Fri or Sat) it will cost $495 for 1 day where you'll get 2-1/2 hours on the track:
There are some other Daytona events later in Oct, but they're only for solo qualified advanced track drivers.

There are 2 events in Dec.

Dec 1-3 is put on by an Audi club, and it's probably around $500 to register for 1 day. Here are 2 sites for info:
Dec 8-10 is put on by MVP Tracktime, and 1 day costs $375. Take a look at their website for info:

All you need is an SA2010 or SA2015 Snell certified helmet, and you should flush in some good DOT 4 brake fluid and install some good high temp race pads.

You'll definitely be able to turn loose the beast in your Vette at Daytona!!

Hope to c'ya at the track!!

Old 08-17-2017, 05:59 AM
Richard Leever
8th Gear

Silver State Classic...

Quick Reply: Any options for a place you can drive (legally) as fast as you want to?