Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Move North

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:15 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Ha. Are you in for it. You'll be needing an AWD SUV or pickup. Oh yeah, and a good snow brush. My SUV last winter visiting the great white north.

Winter fun<br/>
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Yeah, the Sioux Falls winters can be challenging, but you're moving to one of the most tax-friendly states in the USA, populated by friendly, self-reliant folks. Whatever you do, stay the hell out of Minnesota, known as "The Land of 10,000 Taxes" -- and that's not much of an exaggeration. I'm a native (for now), and I know.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by JonMN
Don't be a wimp. SD is not North. MN, now THAT is north!
. . .
For several years I had a job where I spent one week a month in Baudette MN. You're right in that they had industrial strength cold up there. The coldest I experienced was -39F. Trust me, that's cold. I know there is at least one auto development test track up there, possibly two used for cold weather testing and some GM cars are tested there. We used to make jokes about the weather. My favorite is, They have two seasons in Baudette, Winter and July.
Sioux Falls is a little further south which doesn't sound like much, but it really does moderate the cold.

Last edited by roadbike56; 08-15-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:25 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I didn't really do anything to my car last year. Gave it a bath and fired up the battery tender. I usually change the oil in the spring because I'm less lazy in the spring. Car sleeps fron 12-1 to 4-1. Was nice enough to use it right up until Dec last year if I recall.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:43 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'm from Saskatchewan. I'd assume the climate is kinda similar, which means your car comes out in maybe late April and goes back into storage in October or so. You'll get plenty of advice on how to -store- the car, the harder one is "How do you make payments for 7 months a year while the car is in storage!"

The only good news is that every spring, getting the car out is like getting a new car. So you get the visceral thrill of a new car every spring!
Yes, winter storage is a major pain. My criteria here is the car comes off the road when I see either the first snowflake or the first time they put anything on the roads. He that can mean from late October to late November, and in the spring I'll wait till all the snow is gone and we get a few good rains to wash all the crap off the roads, usually late April, early May. My solution for making the payments while the car is in storage? I just got my new 2018 ZO6 2 weeks ago, and it was paid for in full when the Dealer handed me the keys. It is a good experience when you get it out in the spring.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:50 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
Yeah, the Sioux Falls winters can be challenging, but you're moving to one of the most tax-friendly states in the USA, populated by friendly, self-reliant folks. Whatever you do, stay the hell out of Minnesota, known as "The Land of 10,000 Taxes" -- and that's not much of an exaggeration. I'm a native (for now), and I know.
If Minnesota is the land of 10,000 taxes, then New York must be the land of 20,000 taxes. I'm a native (for now), and I know. We have good friends that just moved to Ft. Myers, Florida from St. Cloud, can't say we'll go to Florida, but it will be to a more tax friendly and weather friendly state. Minnesota does get colder than New York, but we get major snow here, our yearly "average" is just over 150", we get 2 feet of snow tonight, and tomorrow morning it's business as usual.
The following users liked this post:
Virtual Geezer (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Ha. Are you in for it. You'll be needing an AWD SUV or pickup. Oh yeah, and a good snow brush. My SUV last winter visiting the great white north.

Winter fun<br/>
That's not snow, that's a flurry!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
There is a new recommendation on the gas tank when storing to fill only 1/4. The reason for only storing with 1/4 tank of gas has to do with the location of the fuel sending unit. In the C7, the fuel sending units are half way up inside each of the two tanks. Sulfur in the gasoline can coat the fuel level sensors, causing the fuel gauge to become inoperative. The reason that this does not happen when you are regularly driving the car is that movement of the gas in the tanks keeps the contacts clear.
1/4 tank of gas has the right side tank empty and the left side tank half full. Not sure how that helps anything as far as the fuel sending units.

Bill
Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I grew up in Florida and have lived all over including Minnesota for 7 years and now New England. Minnesota winters can be tough for a couple of months, but the spring, summer, and fall seasons are so nice. It's 78 degrees here today and 95 degrees where I lived in Florida.

No thanks. I will put up with a couple months of snow but then enjoy the spring, summer weather.
True, you can always put more clothes on but once you are naked and it is too hot there isn't anything to be done. In the south you lose a good 3 to 4 months of the year because it is too hot, in the north you lose a good 3 to 4 months per year because it is snowing. One thing that has happened with Global Warming is the winters seem to have less snow. When I lived in NY I drove my first two Corvettes as daily drivers no matter how much snow came down. Then once the second car became a collectible car I started storing it and not driving on bad roads as the risk was too high. I couldn't drive the car for 3 months straight, then about 3 years later I was able to count on driving it about once per month. On subsequent cars I was able to drive a few times per month and then in the early 2000s I could almost count on being able to drive my current Vette all through the winter with a few days now and then when I had to keep it in the garage. Moved south in Dec 2013. Brought my snow shovel with me as Charlotte is known to have snow every now and then. Barely used the shovel while I lived in the north but two months after we moved into Charlotte we had 8 inches of snow and I used the shovel there more than I had ever used it in the north for previous 3 years.

Bill
Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
There is a new recommendation on the gas tank when storing to fill only 1/4. The reason for only storing with 1/4 tank of gas has to do with the location of the fuel sending unit. In the C7, the fuel sending units are half way up inside each of the two tanks. Sulfur in the gasoline can coat the fuel level sensors, causing the fuel gauge to become inoperative. The reason that this does not happen when you are regularly driving the car is that movement of the gas in the tanks keeps the contacts clear.
FWIW, although living in Eastern SC I don't store, I do use the GM gas additive recommended if not using Top Tier as they suggest at every oil change. It is or the equivalent of Techron (probably will start using Techron as it's more readily available and cheaper.)

Even though I mostly use Top Tier gas, the GM product and Techron indicate they help dissolve sulfur deposits. All oil has sulfur, some quite a bit. Most gets refined out but not all! Top Tier has nothing to do with sulfur levels and it does contain additives to help reduce deposits. But if the senders get coated, replacing is a major operation! The drive train is dropped to get the two tanks out!

A poster who's C7 senders were operating erratically had a dealer put two containers of GM fuel additive in his tank and fixed the issue. Charged him ~$100 as I recall. Adding one container (~$10) at each oil change is cheap insurance, IMO.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-16-2017 at 02:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 05:20 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
1/4 tank of gas has the right side tank empty and the left side tank half full. Not sure how that helps anything as far as the fuel sending units.

Bill
Hi Bill. This is what the corvette engineers have stated. I just pass on the information. I'm certain they wouldn't make a statement without a basis. But then again these are the same guys, gals that can't seem to cool Z06 to proper temp going around a race track, or solve the issues surrounding the A8 transmission. I,m not sure where specifically the sending unit is housed. But they say if your gas gauge is at one quarter or less, the unit is not submerged in gasoline.

Last edited by joemessman; 08-16-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:36 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
...One thing that has happened with Global Warming is the winters seem to have less snow....

Bill
Definitely less snow last year. I got a kick *** snow blower last year and was actually kinda bummed that I only got to use it a couple times, and one of those was just a 4-5" dusting where I had to at least try the thing...
Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Definitely less snow last year. I got a kick *** snow blower last year and was actually kinda bummed that I only got to use it a couple times, and one of those was just a 4-5" dusting where I had to at least try the thing...
My in-laws in Sioux Falls have commented the last two winters have been milder than usual and not much snow. So there may be something to this "Global Warming" stuff as it is just plain brutal in Central FL this summer.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default No Ice

It is much warmer without question. We've had no ice storms the past two winters here in the Dallas area.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
...and you'll get a small number of us saying you should get the proper tires and drive year round
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Well at least when you get tired of snow you can look forward to this stuff and you can remember the Florida downpours. This stuff is worse than snow and way more dangerous!

Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
...and you'll get a small number of us saying you should get the proper tires and drive year round
YA, YA, YA !
Old 08-16-2017, 07:15 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Deftly
There is a possibility we will be moving to Sioux Falls, my wife's home. I know, crazy. Anyway, living in Florida I have never had the concern about garaging my car for the winter. Anybody have a checklist or what they do to winterize their Corvette?
Yep, I can help you with storage questions, I do use Stabil stabilizer in my tank... pour the required amount in before you drive the car for the last time before storage along with fresh fuel bought that day & drive the car for a few miles to get the mix into the entire system. Buy a battery maintenance charger & leave it plugged in the entire time the car is in storage... change the oil also.If you are storing the car in a unheated area, make sure the coolant is fresh. As far as people saying that the tires get flat spots, I have never had this happen to me & I store my car from Dec to March. If you do this, your car will be ready to go in the spring
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Send the wife north and you stay in Florida. Best of both worlds!

Elmer

Quick Reply: Possible Move North