Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation on Car Cover

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Recommendation on Car Cover

I have a temporary assignment in Canada with the car needing to be stored outdoors. i'd like to find a car cover that offers security (lockable and tight fit) as well on one that protects the car from the elements. My car is a 2016 Vert that's been here for two days and I've already had it keyed.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Personally I don't like car covers for storing cars outside. If there is *any* dirt on the car, the movement of the cover will scratch the paint. Plus the dirt will get embedded in the cover and continue to scratch it. I leave some of my cars outside all winter, let them get dirty, and just clean them carefully.

But, to answer your question, check out Griot's Garage and California Car Covers if you want a cover. They have several options, and you can search for discount coupons on-line.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 PM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Leave it outside w/out a cover, cover will rub on the body lines and corners....trust me.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:12 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

The car will only be outside for about 2 months - I'm more worried about any further vandalism than wear and tear on the paint for this period.

Ironically, a kevlar cover with flannel liner would be perfect.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

As far as "lockable" if anyone wants the cover or get under it to do whatever with the car there going to do it easy. Happened to friends of mine! A good safe parking spot is your best option locking wise!

I stored a couple vechicles outside over the winter many times and as far as cover moving in the wind and rub's occurring do a super good wax job on it before its covered.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 PM
chevyvette1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 347 Likes on 163 Posts

I agree with the others, a car cover on a car outside in the wind is not a good thing. Maybe take it to one of those self storage places?? Park it inside one of them while you're gone. Just a thought....
Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

California Car Covers makes a pretty good outside cover if you want it covered. If necessary you can put two covers on it, the first cover being one that is tight on the body. The second one being an outdoor cover.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 AM
VetteLex
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Would not think twice about it. Go rent a storage unit that allows for cars to be parked in. You should be able to find one that will not make you sign a year lease. Just pay for two months and when you get back take it out. Would not recommend a car cover outside.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Evan Roman
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used tarps for the short term and made sure to remove them after it rained to dry stuff out. Usually for anything I value that has to sit outside for any time at all, even a day if it's going to rain. I put a car cover light-duty cotton type one on, then put a body shop bag on with one rope around the middle, then if it's really going to rain, use one tarp like a 12 by 20 to go over the whole thing just tieing it good enough to keep from blowing off, but again, the first time the sun is out or I'm sure the rain has stopped, everything comes off. Rarely does anything have to sit out, and now with a new 60 by 72-foot garage, it won't.

When I was dating my wife and driving down to her apartment in one of my old cars, I would buy a new California Car cover for every car I took so they wouldn't sit out unprotected overnight. If the weather was going to be crappy in general, I just took my regular truck. They were 200 each then but I was always happy with the fit. At the time I didn't know about the body shop bags or I would have had them for an over cover when it really seemed like it was going to rain as it would have saved having to dry out the car covers each time.

I've seen a lot of neglected cars sitting under traces of Blue tarps on Craigslist and right here on the forums lately coming up for sale. Do the cars a favor if they have to sit outside for more than a few weeks with a tarp, sell them now before we chew you a new one for ruining them before offering them. Besides they won't be worth more once you have ruined them than they are now. I know of no old car that is appreciating fast enough that it will erase the depreciation caused by neglect in such a manner.
Here some reputed car covers brands.
1. Best for Heavy-Duty: Budge Duro Car Cover
2. Best for Indoor Use: Classic Accessories OverDrive PolyPro
3. Best for Outdoor Use: Kayme Four Layers Car Cover with Cotton Zipper
4. Leader Accessories Car Cover
5. XCAR Breathable Dust Prevention Car Cover
BTW, before making a final buying decision, you need to properly research and analyze. I have found this car cover review much informative and useful. Hope it will help you.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:58 PM
sgt1372
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts

I use CoverCraft Weathershield covers and have stored a red Toyotoa MR2 Spyder under such a cover for YEARS w/o any damage to the surface of the car.

My black BMW 335i is currently under a CoverCraft Weathershield cover in my side yard (has been for months) and hasn't suffered any surface damage either.

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-14-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendation on Car Cover

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendation on Car Cover