Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated speeding ticket for 6MPH over..Vette Tax

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The point is, it could just as easily been the opposite. Sometimes these things are just random, depending upon a particular LEO, where his/her attention is focused, mood, and, of course, which would be the easiest to pull over.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The point is, it could just as easily been the opposite. Sometimes these things are just random, depending upon a particular LEO, where his/her attention is focused, mood, and, of course, which would be the easiest to pull over.
at 6MPH over the limit he was not having any problem catching us....

Paraphrasing Occam's razor .. the obvious answer is usually the correct one... bright Yellow C7 = pulled over before the gray Hyundai (lucky Devil I bet he has told the story of me getting pulled over instead of him a thousands times!)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

And my interpretation of the Occam principle is that you were first in line and the easiest to be stopped. All he had to do was light you up without maneuvering behind another car.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-18-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to hear you won. Do they do radar in FLA? It may be time to invest in a radar detector if it's legal in your state. The velocity yellow is probably not helping by getting their attention.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:58 AM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
at 6MPH over the limit he was not having any problem catching us....

Paraphrasing Occam's razor .. the obvious answer is usually the correct one... bright Yellow C7 = pulled over before the gray Hyundai (lucky Devil I bet he has told the story of me getting pulled over instead of him a thousands times!)
Actually, you were probably the easiest to pull over. As the Hyundai was in front of you, he would have have to pass you, or get you to move right to catch the Hyundai. That said, driving a bright yellow Corvette probably didn't help, but not in the way you are thinking.

When you are running radar, you only have a second or so to get a lock on a car, stow the radar gun, start the bike (or car) accelerate to speed, and get the violator stopped. A Hyundai can look like a lot of other cars at 62 MPH, but a bright yellow Corvette is going to be hard to miss in a pack of cars.

I've had it happen a couple of times. Stop a champagne Toyota, and the driver swears he was going the speed limit, and it was the Other champagne Toyota that passed him, he remembers seeing it. Can I go to court and swear I stopped the right Toyota? No, I can't. But bright yellow Corvettes are few and far between, I can be 99.9999% sure I got the right one. Is it fair? Maybe not, but if you want to blend in, get a Toyota.

On another note, my completely unofficial and unscientific observation of car brands that I wrote most often, for really excessive speed (20+ over) was the Toyota Prius. Second was probably anything with someone under 20 driving, and a coffee can muffler. I actually stopped very, very few Corvettes...

Last edited by DanZR1; 08-18-2017 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bapd77 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanZR1

When you are running radar, you only have a second or so to get a lock on a car, stow the radar gun, start the bike (or car) accelerate to speed, and get the violator stopped. A Hyundai can look like a lot of other cars at 62 MPH, but a bright yellow Corvette is going to be hard to miss in a pack of cars.

Maybe not, but if you want to blend in, get a Toyota.

Its all good! ...............It worked out in the end.... I think if the LEO felt this was really such a serious offense he would have shown up in court...which in my opinion again just confirms I was targeted over the other car

and you are absolutely correct, I drive my car everyday (just under 66,000 miles right now)...I'm not looking to blend in with a beige Toyota so I know I might have to pay the Corvette Tax but that doesn't mean I like it....
DanZR1 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:38 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

ok Batman...riddle me this?

so why did the yellow stingray get pulled over and not the gray Hyundai who was directly in front and traveling at the same wickedly fast 6 MPH over the posted speed limit?

I get the "if you were going 6 MPH over the posted limit you are still speed" argument but apparently that only applied to me and my yellow C7 and not the driver in front of me...
Just because you are behind a vehicle does not mean you are not driving faster than said vehicle. I have had the same issue many times where people stated "well the car in front of me was going the same speed."

This is not always the case, if you are closing the distance on the vehicle in front, you are going faster than that vehicle. Even if slightly faster (1 mph over) I always would stop the car going faster if practical. Most radars can clock more than one car at a time now.

I am not saying 6 mph over is reasonable. I have never stopped a car going 6 mph over. It has always been 10 or more and that is over 17 years and thousands of stops. I am simply stating your assumption that it was the car is most likely inaccurate having significant experience in that particular field.

A number of reasons could be why. You were going slightly faster, discretion, ease of the stop, safety, etc.

I can tell you this, I have NEVER been able to stop 1 or more cars and made the decision of which car to stop based solely on the type of car it was. Lastly, he can only stop one car at a time. If it been the Hyundai driver, he would have said the same thing probably "why didn't you stop the guy in the corvette?" Either way, it can only be one of you.
The following 2 users liked this post by bapd77:
DanZR1 (08-20-2017), gwalsh88 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:26 PM
vetteorama
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good call on going to court. Yeh a ticket for 6mph over is ridiculous on a freeway. Over 10mph is where you gotta be careful.
gwalsh88 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 03:27 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I think if the LEO felt this was really such a serious offense he would have shown up in court
aka, PUNK-*** CHUMP.
gwalsh88 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 266 Likes on 137 Posts

When the patrol men asks "do you know why I stopped you" as a vette owner we all need to reply "because I let you" and smile. It should be as standard as the owners wave
gwalsh88 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:17 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Texan79423
When the patrol men asks "do you know why I stopped you" as a vette owner we all need to reply "because I let you" and smile. It should be as standard as the owners wave
Gotta remember that one...

Anybody have any other clever greetings for LEOs?
Old 08-19-2017, 02:24 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

I had just the opposite happen to me a couple years ago in my yellow C6 - following another car at about 12 over the speed limit in the left lane when my V1 said I'd been nailed by laser. It was part of a speed trap - one LEO hitting people with the laser, a couple more pulling people over.

Next thing I knew, there's flashing lights right behind me. I started pulling over to the shoulder knowing I'd earned the ticket but he continued on to pull over the Toyota in front of me...
gwalsh88 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 02:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Must have been on I5 near Fife...
Old 08-19-2017, 03:20 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

I just recently read the most ticketed car is the Lexus ES 350, probably because that car is so isolated from the road and noise you don't even realize you're going fast.
gwalsh88 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 04:12 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Case Dismissed!

I have to think the reason he did not show up was he knew this was a ridiculous ticket to begin with and it was not worth his time to go to court.
Yeah, but in the eyes of the law you would've been just as guilty going 1mph over. Had he shown up you wouldn't have had a legal leg to stand on based on the 6mph excess, that is unless you wanted to challenge the calculation method (probably LIDAR or RADAR). I'm sure that's been done before and they would have been prepared for that, though. All that said, I'm glad you got off, as a ticket to 6mph over is, as you said, ridiculous.

I once challenged a ticket based on a trooper in an airplane timing a specified distance with a mechanical stopwatch, a totally manual VASCAR method that exposed lots of human-error possibilities. He radioed down to another trooper and I was stopped a mile or so down the road. I wanted to see certification that he had been tested to take accurate measurements and he couldn't. When the case was dismissed the trooper was mad as a hornet and I got out of the courtroom quickly.

Last edited by iclick; 08-19-2017 at 08:47 PM.
gwalsh88 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
Just because you are behind a vehicle does not mean you are not driving faster than said vehicle. I have had the same issue many times where people stated "well the car in front of me was going the same speed."

This is not always the case, if you are closing the distance on the vehicle in front, you are going faster than that vehicle. Even if slightly faster (1 mph over) I always would stop the car going faster if practical. Most radars can clock more than one car at a time now.

I am not saying 6 mph over is reasonable. I have never stopped a car going 6 mph over. It has always been 10 or more and that is over 17 years and thousands of stops. I am simply stating your assumption that it was the car is most likely inaccurate having significant experience in that particular field.

A number of reasons could be why. You were going slightly faster, discretion, ease of the stop, safety, etc.

I can tell you this, I have NEVER been able to stop 1 or more cars and made the decision of which car to stop based solely on the type of car it was. Lastly, he can only stop one car at a time. If it been the Hyundai driver, he would have said the same thing probably "why didn't you stop the guy in the corvette?" Either way, it can only be one of you.

Like many drivers, I will sometimes tuck in at a distance behind a
faster (speeding) car, imagining that this provides me some protection from being stopped. The thought has occurred to me that if I were a cop I would understand this and make a practice of nabbing the second or third speeder instead of the first, and thereby reduce the amount of speeding going on. Maybe police are already doing this, and I have just been lucky not to have been stopped in my imagined protective cocoon.
gwalsh88 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
I had just the opposite happen to me a couple years ago in my yellow C6 - following another car at about 12 over the speed limit in the left lane when my V1 said I'd been nailed by laser. It was part of a speed trap - one LEO hitting people with the laser, a couple more pulling people over.

Next thing I knew, there's flashing lights right behind me. I started pulling over to the shoulder knowing I'd earned the ticket but he continued on to pull over the Toyota in front of me...
Lucky for you!

Get notified of new replies

To Updated speeding ticket for 6MPH over..Vette Tax

Old 08-20-2017, 01:03 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by mjdart
I just recently read the most ticketed car is the Lexus ES 350, probably because that car is so isolated from the road and noise you don't even realize you're going fast.
No, it's because the typical owner/driver is a female of the unobservant type.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

allow me to offer this advice to everyone, get yourself a dash cam with front and rear cameras that is GPS enabled and here's why.

End of June I got pulled over for speeding, the motorcycle LEO said he clocked me doing 90 km/h in a 60 zone....I was like NFL! (not f'kn likely), I may have been doing 65-70 tops but sure as hell not 90 km/h. He wrote me a ticket, I was very polite and so was he and that was that. 260 bucks and 3 demerits...ouch (not the fine, the demerits). At the time of the offense I had my dash cam on (of course) but I didn't have the optional GPS antenna (after this incident I promptly called my mobile accessory guy who installed my cam and he gave me one) so it didn't record my speed but you still could see that I was not doing 90 at any time before I was pulled over. Last week I went to court ready to set a date because I was going to fight it, I had uploaded the dash cam footage as well as a video of me doing 90 km/h on a stretch of highway that also had my digital speedo in the shot. When they justice of the peace called my name he offered me 250 bucks and no demerits which I accepted just to get it over with, I didn't want to waste any more of my time trying to get it thrown out.

Moral, if I had my speed recorded (showing on the dash cam footage) I would've taken it all the way to trial because I know for a fact that I was not doing 90, here's a couple of vids before and up to when the LEO lit me up.....you be the judge.

*note: look at me passing the the truck, assuming he was doing the speed limit does it look like I was passing him 30 km/h more?

Last edited by themonk; 08-20-2017 at 01:19 AM.
gwalsh88 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZR1
That is pretty harsh. My personal limit was 15 over, and I was a Motor.

There was really no reason to go any lower, there is plenty of work at 15+ over. I almost always wrote for lower, no reason to beat people up...
Me too. I wonder what the op said to the LEO that inspired that click.
The following 3 users liked this post by petepd:
bapd77 (08-20-2017), DanZR1 (08-20-2017), gwalsh88 (08-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Updated speeding ticket for 6MPH over..Vette Tax