Sponsored by:

Updated speeding ticket for 6MPH over..Vette Tax

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Sink
I didn't realize people were so sensitive. Ok, it could have been Mini Cooper or a Mustang or a Prius. Something they wanted to look at. I guess we don't make jokes on this forum. Lesson learned. I will keep my funnies to myself so I don't hurt some LEO''s feelings.
Last post.
Who was being sensitive again? Not offended at all, simply trying to understand the logic of jealousy in this case. I have a ZL1 and a Z06. I can definitely say I've never been jealous of anyone I have ever stopped. Six over is a bit picky, but it is still speeding.

I know judges rule their courtrooms but I also never cared about them 'chastising' me. I don't work for the judge. Luckily, I have also never had to experience that in a courtroom. I was confident in the enforcement action I took in the cases that went to court from speeding to a quintuple murder.

Last edited by bapd77; 08-21-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 PM
98silverm6
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

As a 20 year Leo I have never heard of anyone getting a 6 mph speeding ticket. Unless it was reduced down from a higher speed. The Hyundai in front has nothing to do with you. We don't pull over the second vehicle because we can't catch the first vehicle either. We go after the fastest car. Radar is not vehicle specific the cop visually estimates the speed of each vehicle and confirms with the radar. Laser is totally different as it is vehicle specific. If you indeed got pulled over for 6 mph only I'm glad you got off of it that's ridiculous. Remember to always be polite and respectful and more than likely you will get a warning.

Last edited by 98silverm6; 08-21-2017 at 10:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 98silverm6:
AaronZ51 (08-30-2017), bapd77 (08-21-2017), gwalsh88 (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Humor and joking are welcomed, but in this case the humorous comment was perceived as insulting to LEOs. It could easily be perceived that you were suggesting that the only way the average LEO can get up close to a nice sportscar is by pulling one over, because you believed they can't afford them.
Oh for fnck's sakes!
Good God, we wouldn't want to make all those sensitive LEOs cry, now would we?

Originally Posted by bapd77
Who was being sensitive again? Not offended at all, simply trying to understand the logic of jealousy in this case. I have a ZL1 and a Z06. I can definitely say I've never been jealous of anyone I have ever stopped.
NOT sensitive or just too young to remember The Temptations?

SMILING FACES SOMETIMES (1971)

Smiling faces sometimes pretend to be your friend.
Smiling faces show no traces of the evil that lurks within.
Smiling faces, Smiling Faces, Sometimes they don't tell the truth.
Smiling faces, smiling faces tell lies and I got proof.
The truth is in the eye 'cause the eyes don't lie, amen.
Remember, a smile is just a frown turned upside down my friend.
So, hear me when I'm saying
Beware. Beware of the handshake that hides the snake,
I'm tellin' you beware of the pat on the back it just might hold you back.
Jealousy, (Jealousy) misery, (misery) envy.
I tell you you can't see behind
Smiling faces,…
Old 08-22-2017, 12:41 AM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Agree, someone here posted a list of most "ticketed" cars, and Corvettes were down near the bottom of the list. Cars that 20-somethings drive tend to be the most cited.
Well for those of us who are 20-something and drive a Vette, I guess we're screwed

I have had my Vette for ~3 years. Pulled over three times, got ticketed only once. The time I got ticketed was the time out of the three when I felt I least deserved it (unsafe lane change citation for changing lanes in front of a semi that I didn't want to get behind to kick up rocks at me - plenty of room between us). Not as lucky as you because my cop showed up, but thankfully I paid ~$250 and went to traffic school so it wouldn't be on my record. Count your blessings, even if you were only going 6mph over!
The following users liked this post:
gwalsh88 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Oh for fnck's sakes!
Good God, we wouldn't want to make all those sensitive LEOs cry, now would we?

NOT sensitive or just too young to remember The Temptations?

SMILING FACES SOMETIMES (1971)

Smiling faces sometimes pretend to be your friend.
Smiling faces show no traces of the evil that lurks within.
The truth is in the eye 'cause the eyes don't lie, amen.
Remember, a smile is just a frown turned upside down my friend.
So, hear me when I'm saying
Beware. Beware of the handshake that hides the snake,
I'm tellin' you beware of the pat on the back it just might hold you back.
Jealousy, (Jealousy) misery, (misery) envy.
I tell you you can't see behind
Smiling faces,…
Born in 1979...but seen enough in my 17 years as an LEO. However, it seems you think you are an expert in the field. I'd suggest putting in an application.
DanZR1 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:54 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

While I have stopped people for going 6mph doing drug interdiction, I have only cited for 6 over so the driver didn't get points, I'm glad it got tossed. The only thing I can add, and not saying this occurred to you, is in 30 years of doing this and hearing what about the other cars, when you go past the cop, you have already been clocked. A large percentage of the time, there will be cars in front of the person being stopped, because they were speeding and caught up to them. Cops are human, some will write a ticket for not using a turn signal at 3am with no other traffic around, to me, it's bs, some stop people at 5 over, some 10, me 15 etc. Let's get off here and drive our cars!! Corvettes at Carlisle, what a great place to live I just love the.light of course
gwalsh88 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:06 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
Born in 1979...but seen enough in my 17 years as an LEO. However, it seems you think you are an expert in the field. I'd suggest putting in an application.
That's the attitude!
Thanx for proving my point.
justplainjim (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:04 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sunsalem
That's the attitude!
Thanx for proving my point.
The words of a person with no true response.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:03 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Here, in most parts lol SOCAL, a judge would throw out a ticket like that. I know because I got off 2 tickets that way: the officer pulled me over but let other cars doing the same thing I was go. We got Wild West crime out here. Too much to be worrying about stuff like this.

Originally Posted by girardta
Friend of mine was exceeding the speed limit along with several other cars. LEO pulled him over and he said, "There were other cars going as fast or faster than I was - why did you pull ME over?"

LEO answered, "When you shoot into a flock of ducks, you never get all of them."
gwalsh88 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
case dismissed = Win
If they are dismissed, are there any other fees? And could you apply for those waived? Or have the police office pay for it.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 08-29-2017 at 07:58 AM.
gwalsh88 (09-06-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

There is a stretch of interstate that bypasses Richmond, Virginia, I-295. For those that travel I-95 north and south frequently, this has been a great relief from the previously congested, I-95 the travels through Petersburg and Richmond, Virginia. Unfortunately it does seem to many that travel this route, that the stretch from the southern end of the bypass North to the James River has become a "speed trap". The local Leo's patrol it diligently.

While our son was attending college in Maryland, he traveled the I-295 route often. I cautioned him frequently to be sure to follow the speed limit there as it seemed that vehicles with out of state tags would be targeted first.

One time he was traveling the route and driving with traffic in his Toyota Tacoma pickup. When he was pulled over for speeding, he asked the Officer why he was picked when all of the cars around him were driving the same speed. I thought the Officers response was precious, "Son, I guess it was just your lucky day."

He immediately received a number of letters from lawyers in the area offering to represent him in court and make the points go away. He took driving school on line and didn't get the points, but paid the fine and lawyers fees... about $300.

I just pointed out, with a smile on my face, "never assume if you are running with traffic (above the speed limit) that your safe!"

GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 08-29-2017 at 03:31 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 08-29-2017, 03:46 PM
merim123
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
Well I got the ticket back in February and for those who want to review this is the link to that thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vette-tax.html

The short version is I got a ticket for going 61 MPH in a 55 MPH on a 6 lane highway. In addition, while I was in the left lane, I was behind a simple Hyundai yet my Yellow and Black Stingray got pulled over but the Hyundai who was in front of me did not. I was not tailgating and the highway patrolman never accused me of it. I still believe the only reason I was pulled over was because I had a Beautiful C7. The ticket was only $129 and I contemplated just paying it but I have had not had a ticket for 14 years and really did not feel like I deserved this one (I know 6 MPH is still speeding).

It took 6 months to get a court date (I did not even try the rescheduling trick. After 6 months I just wanted it over).

I went to court house and in a crowded courtroom I was the very last case called (my last name begins with a W) and the Highway Patrolman was not there.....

Case Dismissed!

I have to think the reason he did not show up was he knew this was a ridiculous ticket to begin with and it was not worth his time to go to court.
overtime for these guys typically, especially the guys that give a ticket at night. they will always come to the courthouse. The day guys, can be a mixed bag.
gwalsh88 (09-06-2017)

Quick Reply: Updated speeding ticket for 6MPH over..Vette Tax