C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally get to drive my C7 topless. I like it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:18 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts
Default I finally get to drive my C7 topless. I like it.

Not ME you Corvette weenies, the car. It has been a rainy summer here in NY and I've been distracted with other stuff, so I really only got the top off the car for a few days straight this week.

My observations: wind noise is probably similar to the C6. Could be somewhat better or worse, I'd have to A-B a C7 and a C6 with the top off to compare. But it's really fine up until 50+, starts getting noisier, real noisy @ highway speeds, but I get used to that after a while, the open air thing is worth the noise penalty most of the time.

What really struck me is this: in general the C7 drives like a smaller car than the C6, in a sports car, that's a good thing. But that smaller car feeling is greatly enhanced with the targa top off, it really makes the car feel a step closer to small roadster like a BMW Z or something. Not that small of course, but smaller than any previous Corvette I have driven. That car is just such a blast on so many levels. It's almost like with the top off the car feels like little convertible that was jacked and souped up by Hell's Garage. That's my notion of the ideal sports car right there.

And THAT's why I bought a Corvette. I didn't buy it to be the fastest guy on track day (newsflash: 99% of these cars, mine included will never be on a track), or to race other idiots on public roads, or to come on forums and engage in these ridiculous GS vs. Z06 vs. Z51 dick measuring contests. Which are entertaining to a point, but whatever. I just wanted a way cool car that is fun to drive.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (08-21-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:24 AM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Totally understand the experience and smaller car feel. Open air ar 110mph is also quite refreshing, not that I have an experience with that, and if so only on a deserted road in the middle of know where TX.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 AM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I usually have the top off from May through September, but have it stowed in the hatch just in case of rain. Pretty loud on the highway, especially on concrete, but a real pleasure on secondary asphalt roads...my wife and I learned that on the highway, better to delay conversations until we reach our destination....at first, we were screaming at each other...pretty funny....We are used to motorcycle travel, where the best practice is "keep your thoughts to yourself"

Ken
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

You described exactly what I wanted in my C7- a cool car that is fun to drive. It meets that tenfold.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
You described exactly what I wanted in my C7- a cool car that is fun to drive. It meets that tenfold.
Yeah, and by and large the Corvette community rocks, I'm sure the whole dick measuring aspect is also there with just about every sports car. Boys will be boys, and that's part of the fun of owning a car like this for a lot of guys, just not my bag.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

It just cooled off enough here to finally lower my new-to-me 2016 C7's convertible top. Still, too hot during the day, but at least it's dropping out of the triple digits after the sun goes down. I traded up from a C4 convertible, and the difference in wind noise is huge. My wife and I can now have a conversation at 75 MPH, without yelling at each other...

As far as my dick, I'm Irish. Looks like a caterpillar wearing a turtleneck, I'm neither proud nor ashamed. I've owned fast cars, cars with roll bars and plastic windows, and cars that had to be trailered to the track. Somewhere in my closet is a Nomex suit I can't fit into anymore, next to an expired racing helmet. It was fun, but when I went Corvette shopping this time, I wanted a Grand Touring car with leather everything, and all the electronics. Time for comfortable performance, rather than all out performance. No disrespect intended to those that are still racing, it's just not something I do anymore.

YMMV...

Last edited by DanZR1; 08-17-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our experience with our three-month-old C7 is just like patentcad.
Some of the electronics are annoying but the driving experience is great.

On our C5 and C6, I learned that topless cruising for long distances or high speeds is much nicer with a set of cheap earplugs. Really.
I expect the C7 will be the same.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Total opposite here in south Texas.
Vert top always down most of the year.
Only last few weeks of 100+ temps (mid-high 90's + hi humidity = misery index of 110+) that my vert top's up...
Old 08-17-2017, 12:28 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Not ME you Corvette weenies, the car. It has been a rainy summer here in NY and I've been distracted with other stuff, so I really only got the top off the car for a few days straight this week.

My observations: wind noise is probably similar to the C6. Could be somewhat better or worse, I'd have to A-B a C7 and a C6 with the top off to compare. But it's really fine up until 50+, starts getting noisier, real noisy @ highway speeds, but I get used to that after a while, the open air thing is worth the noise penalty most of the time.

What really struck me is this: in general the C7 drives like a smaller car than the C6, in a sports car, that's a good thing. But that smaller car feeling is greatly enhanced with the targa top off, it really makes the car feel a step closer to small roadster like a BMW Z or something. Not that small of course, but smaller than any previous Corvette I have driven. That car is just such a blast on so many levels. It's almost like with the top off the car feels like little convertible that was jacked and souped up by Hell's Garage. That's my notion of the ideal sports car right there.

And THAT's why I bought a Corvette. I didn't buy it to be the fastest guy on track day (newsflash: 99% of these cars, mine included will never be on a track), or to race other idiots on public roads, or to come on forums and engage in these ridiculous GS vs. Z06 vs. Z51 dick measuring contests. Which are entertaining to a point, but whatever. I just wanted a way cool car that is fun to drive.

How would you grade the ease of removing and replacing the roof? Is it easy or a PIA? Do you like the looks of the car with the top off or on? Do you have any suggestions or hints? Does the rear hatch/storage are now become useless after the roof is stored back there? In other words, is there room to store anything else back there along with the roof? I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM
probono
Pro

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy
How would you grade the ease of removing and replacing the roof? Is it easy or a PIA? Do you like the looks of the car with the top off or on? Do you have any suggestions or hints? Does the rear hatch/storage are now become useless after the roof is stored back there? In other words, is there room to store anything else back there along with the roof? I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob
Removing and replacing the top is a piece of cake...I can easily do it myself, but usually enlist my wife to grab one side after it is loosened just to avoid any potential mishap...I also have dual suction pads attached to an arm which makes it very easy to do myself so long as I trust the cups not to slip

Putting the roof back on is just as easy; only need to be sure the gasket isn't pinched, and of course, that you remember to latch it down.

I tend to prefer the look with the top off, but YMMV.

With the top in the hatch, there is room to fit stuff underneath the roof; though obviously nothing very high...works fine for things like jackets, folders, or even shopping bags if they are laid flat. You can put stuff on top of the roof, but there is always the risk of scratches.

Ken
SouthOCBoy (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Although I love the look of my coupe with the top off I'm not a fan of the wind whipping around and the wind noise that is why I hardly ever take the top off.

I'm sure I am in the minority.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:13 PM
probono
Pro

At my age, hearing or not is really not the issue

Ken
Old 08-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

One of my favorite features of the Stingray is the removable top. The look of a coupe with the functionality of a convertible.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 PM
C5 Newb
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I like to drive my C5 topless but people complain about my man ***** and hairy chest...
Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by probono
Removing and replacing the top is a piece of cake...I can easily do it myself . . .

Ken

Very easy to do solo. My only suggestion is, don't do it in a garage where you've got to jockey around other items, avoid the wall, and so forth. Out in the driveway with room to move it's really a piece of cake.

Ramapo (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 10:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by fsvoboda

Very easy to do solo. My only suggestion is, don't do it in a garage where you've got to jockey around other items, avoid the wall, and so forth. Out in the driveway with room to move it's really a piece of cake.

And be careful on a windy day. Unless you want to go parasailing.

A pair of work gloves will keep the fingerprints off your top, avoid scorched hands on hot days, and help prevent slipping/dropping.
Use rough leather or fabric with the rubber grippers nubs, plain fabric can be quite slippery.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
And be careful on a windy day. Unless you want to go parasailing.

A pair of work gloves will keep the fingerprints off your top, avoid scorched hands on hot days, and help prevent slipping/dropping.
Use rough leather or fabric with the rubber grippers nubs, plain fabric can be quite slippery.

Also good points. I
Old 08-21-2017, 05:43 PM
MHE-Plex
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Fits 2 roll on Bags and more..

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy

Thanks,

Rob
With my top stored in the hatch area I can still put two roll along / carry on airline sized bags in front of it. They touch the back of the seats but they fit between the front edge of the store top in the back of the seats. I would be comfortable putting quite a few small items under the top as well. Personally I probably would not put anything on top of it even if I laid a soft cloth across the top first.

Get notified of new replies

To I finally get to drive my C7 topless. I like it.

Quick Reply: I finally get to drive my C7 topless. I like it.