Sponsored by:

How do you remove "OnStar"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I look at OnStar as a driver-assistance feature. Good in some situations, such as those who would likely need some assistance on any given trip (elderly, wife with kids on board, handicap, travel regularly in a bad area and so on). However there are also a significant number of drivers who would not need it or otherwise use it so seldom it's not worth the cost. One of those benefit/cost issues, and for some it doesn't compute as a positive. To each their own.

In my case the system continues to collect data after I've unsubscribed. I still get monthly reports with current odometer, maintenance history, etc. I've unsubscribed twice and this collection and dissemination of information to my mailbox continues - who knows where else it goes. My insurer will offer a small discount if I agree to let them acquire the data.

I'll be one of those removing the cell phone board when the warranty has expired - seems to be the only sure way to stop the dissemination of the data at its source, kind of like the ultimate-unsuscribe. The how-to thread mentioned above makes it look easy and reversible. If I ever sell it I can put it back in, or just hand the board to the new owner who can then make his own decision.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

As far as tracking the car if it is stolen, I have a device called "Trackr" in my car that let's me know where my car is located at all times. It's about the size of a dime and you place it in your car. You just install the App on your phone, and if it were to be stolen then you can open the App and see the location of your car.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Funny how people can denigrate a service that actually provides value. If you don't want to pay for it then don't pay for it and it won't bother you. Unsubscribing from a free subscription happens when the free subscription runs out. I know what happens when I forget to pay my annual fee for what I have on my three cars. All of the info stops flowing.

Bill
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default well, that's easy.....

...you have Luke fire one of those torpedoes down the cooling duct, oh wait, I thought you meant Death Star.....
Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I really want to not be FOUND. Let's say I don't want to make any more payments, Let's say I don't want the wife to find me, let's say it's the Law. The hell with someone stealing it,
let them keep it, I don't want it back.... What "tracker" is on my '17 GS that can be removed?????
Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Does the 5 yr basic give you their Diagnostics Report? I have 3 GM cars. I've never given Onstar any CC info, always cancelled after free trial. They sent me the DR on the 13 Camaro and 16 Traverse until my free period expired. However, vette's different. I picked it up in the fall of 16 and I remember they reached out to me via email couple times to warn me that my free trial was ending early in 2017. I ignored, emails stopped.
Fast forward to last week. Car's been put away since late October, hasn't run since. Had to start the car last week and I just let it idle for about 25 mins. Not 5 minutes went by, I got an Onstar email with the full diagnostics. So I must have the free 5 yr basic on 16 vette, but not the 16 Traverse? And I guess diagnostics report is part of the free basic? If so, how come they stopped sending diagnostics reports in early 17 when my free trial expired? Just wondering if anyone knows how those diagnostics reports work
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Funny how people can denigrate a service that actually provides value. If you don't want to pay for it then don't pay for it and it won't bother you. Unsubscribing from a free subscription happens when the free subscription runs out. I know what happens when I forget to pay my annual fee for what I have on my three cars. All of the info stops flowing.

Bill
IIRC, a few years ago GM got caught continuing to collect data from people who had let their Onstar expire, or specifically cancelled it.

If anything can be misused, it will be misused. Sometime, by somebody.

How important that is to you is an individual decision.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

My service advisor tried to get me to take OnStar. I finally pushed the blue button after numerous nagging calls from my service advisor. When the Onstar advisor said that I had to agree that they could track my driving behavior, I told them I would never use Onstar and leave me alone.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

When it comes to removing integrated electronics in modern cars. The easiest way to do that is to.... buy an old car.

I know, dick answer, but really, stop removing electronics from your car.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:28 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JNess
Oddly enough, my salesman sat in the car during the OnStar setup. He told me before we even started to NOT give them a credit card number, and to not agree to any kind of billing.

I'd look over at him and he'd give me nods as to yes or no questions. I guess he'd rather have a happy customer than a pissed off one trying to cancel. lol
Mine did the same thing got the free time and off it went
Old 01-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
We took the 'free' 90 days of On Star when we took delivery. I knew we would never continue the service, but the delivery guy at the Corvette Museum was insistent. And incompetent. When I called to cancel it, the process was three call center employees deep before I got it stopped. I told the last guy to either do it or we'd cancel the credit card they were planning to charge so one way or the other. He could pick. If you have a cell phone you have On Star Lite. If our car is stolen, I don't want it back. I hope it is never found. USAA is there for that very reason.
How did they get a credit car number from you if you only accepted the free 90 day trail?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
How did they get a credit car number from you if you only accepted the free 90 day trail?
Easy. When I picked up my new '15, I was on the setup call with OnStar in the car, and when asked for a billing arrangement, said I did not wish to provide a card number at that time. No problem. When you think about it, they would be potentially shooting themselves in the foot by denying you the trial at delivery.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Xtreme849
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue-C7 of Jax
I was lucky, my OnStar never worked from new. Every time I go to the dealer for anything, I have to sign my invoice refusing to have OnStar repaired. When I purchased my car the salesman discussed OnStar for about an hour.
I've had my car for a week and mine does not work either. Is there anything that the car needs OnStar for to function properly? I do not have GPS, use my I-Phone and apple car play.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...right-way.html

Removing the cellular radio module from inside the ON Star module will allow the retention of the Bluetooth feature. If you remove the entire OnStar module, you will also loose the Bluetooth.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:55 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...right-way.html

Removing the cellular radio module from inside the ON Star module will allow the retention of the Bluetooth feature. If you remove the entire OnStar module, you will also loose the Bluetooth.
Almost by design....