Sponsored by:

Define Z51, 3LT, 2LT, Magnetic ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:35 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Define Z51, 3LT, 2LT, Magnetic ride

Contemplating a C7 for purchase. Not sure the difference between the base and Z51, 3LT, 2LT, 1LT, magnetic ride, etc. A couple people have told me to get the Z51 over the base model and the magnetic ride. All help defining the differences are appreciated!
Old 08-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C7+Corvette+package+differences
Old 08-20-2017, 03:05 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Best research is to just go to the Chevy site and build one yourself. I was armed with all the info I needed to buy my 2017 off of the lot.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:14 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Looking for a used 2014 to 2016. Trying to decipher the differences and the experiences here on the forum.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:26 PM
B Chas
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

New guy reply, just got my C-7 a couple of weeks ago.

Most important advise for me, TEST DRIVE A FEW. What I thought I wanted and was ready to buy, wasn't what turned out best for me.

Some of the basics I learned in my search.

Base-regular suspension (softest ride), regular brakes gearing, wheels and tires etc. Z-51- more race tuned, stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, different gearing, wheels and tires, etc. Grand Sport-even higher performance, essentially a Z-06 with 460-HP. Z-06-the monster, best brakes & suspension and a handy 650 HP engine!!

Engine/power. Only two the 455/60-HP and the 650HP Z-06. With all the different configurations, only two engines, performance exhaust option adds 5 HP and is louder.

Selective magnetic- interesting option, can do a lot, depending on driving conditions.

1LT-Basic model-still nice, 2LT nicely equipped, a preset list of popular options. 3LT-top of the line options, nicest trim level.

There are so many different options and configurations, I'd suggest spending the time to get to know them.

Most here are performance driven. After all, why get a Corvette, it's not for the room or luxury, lol. The vast majority of my driving is around town. I use the acceleration most, and hang corners tight sometimes. I like to go fast, but street fast. I live in South Florida, the roads are straight and flat. I've had a C-5 for 17 years-100k miles, it's never seen a track. I was convinced and ready to buy a GS, then I drove one, harsh ride for me in a daily driver. Drove a base and a base with performance exhaust and selective magnetic, also drove a Z-51. I choose the base and put the extra money into 2LT.

My base still screams, burns rubber and out handles most cars on the road. Like my C-5, I like saying it drives like a Cadillac until I push it. On the track, I'd get eaten up by the Z-51 & GS and would be crushed by a Z-06. For what I want, I'm happy and really glad I got the 2LT.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:27 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
Contemplating a C7 for purchase. Not sure the difference between the base and Z51, 3LT, 2LT, 1LT, magnetic ride, etc. A couple people have told me to get the Z51 over the base model and the magnetic ride. All help defining the differences are appreciated!
Let's start with a general statement. You can get magnetic ride on any model as an option. If you are going to track the car, then definitely get the Z51 with magnetic ride. If you are not going to track the car, it is not necessary. But some drivers just like the idea and feel of magnetic ride even though they don't necessarily need it. As far as 1, 2, and 3LT there is plenty of information on that. Look at what is contained in those options starting with 3LT and determine if you are interested in those options. If not, go down to 2LT and check them out. Then 1LT. Most find the 2LT is the sweet spot and an excellent value. If....you would use those options. I'm sort of an out-liar, in that the only option in 2LT that I would really appreciate and use is the front camera. But I didn't want to pay 5 grand just to get that and the other amenities I wouldn't use. So in summary, you just simply have to view all the options that come with each package and determine for yourself what you would enjoy.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

1LT, 2LT, 3LT - Trim levels, primarily having to do with appearance, comfort and convenience options. This choice is independent meaning you choose one and only one trim level. Chevy's website provides specific information regarding the differences.

Z51 - Add-on performance package (for any trim level) that includes bigger brakes, wheels/tires, eLSD, dry sump etc. Again, Chevy's website provides the details on what all is included.

Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) - Add-on option that provides cutting edge electronic suspension. This can be included with any trim level and with or without the Z51 package.

As far as recommendations, what are your intentions? Cruiser, garage queen, show & shine, road course tracking, drag racing, monster truck crush car?

Last edited by bigsapper; 08-20-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

My only advise is make sure you get the performance exhaust (NPP). It's available as a option or comes standard depending other options purchased.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:16 PM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Get the 3LT with magnetic ride and the exhaust. After driving a collection of these, the one I bought was the best. I test drove it, got back, and just said wrap it up I'll take it. The tech stuff and nicer interior make it worth it. If money is an issue, you will still be very happy with a 1LT.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:47 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

Best place to look for the last 3 years of model info...

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21215&type=0

http://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/dom...D=20103&type=0

http://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/dom...D=18483&type=0
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP,
First thing you want to do is separate the interior options, 1LT, 2LT, 3LT from the performance options, Z51, Mag Ride (MRC), NPP (dual mode exhaust) because you can get any interior on the Z51 or the base Stingray.
1LT is the basic interior trim option that comes standard with the C7 if you don't opt for an optional interior.
2LT has everything 1LT has, but also includes all the mechanical interior options such as, but not limited to HUD, heated/cooled seats, cameras (for years that have this option, I believe).
3LT this trim has everything the 2LT has, but has better leather trim, it's a dress up option.
As for Z51, it includes larger wheels for 2014 to 2017, suspension options, and dry sump. This option is great for tracking and for spirited street/highway driving. The basic Z51 tends to have a very stiff suspension. Many opt to get magnetic ride control, but it is NOT included in the Z51 package so you'll have to pursue this by searching for threads where they show how to look for the wires that go to the shocks differentiating these shocks from the basic shocks. Careful, don't trust the dealer's verbal statements. One of the top 20 dealerships was sure the Vette I was demo driving had MRC, it didn't.
NPP dual mode exhaust was standard on all Z51s from 2015 to current year. It was NOT included in the Z51 package in 2014 although most Z51's have it. Still, this is a desirable option and you should check the Vette you're demo driving to make sure you have this option. Believe me, once you select "Sport" mode, you'll know if it has NPP the first time you drive it from a standing start as you can readily hear the difference. If you can not hear the difference, then it doesn't have NPP, dual mode exhaust. Also, dual mode exhaust has four trumpet type tailpipes, the basic exhaust does not have those trumpets, just four pipes. NPP, dual mode exhaust is available on the base Corvette as well, but many base cars do not have it. Post #6 & 7 discuss MRC, so I won't.
By all means, check the Chevy Corvette website and read the descriptions of the options.
And remember, before you buy ANY used C7, be sure to obtain and read the Service Record for that car that will disclose all repairs made to a particular car under warranty. If it's a problematic car, it will show up on that report.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a '14 Z51 3LT A6 without the magnetic suspension. Great ride, no complains. Look at least for a Z51 2LT with the A6 or manual 7 speed transmission.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

I ADVISE
My ADVICE

Thanks all. I'm just clearing up the difference between these two words.

OP, I have a 1LT Z51 with mag and PTM. The only option I really felt I was missing compared to a 2 or 3LT was the homelink garage opener. Easy fix though, just bought a 2LT driver side visor ($200) and plugged it in. The 1LT is prewired, so it's a plug and play setup. I don't feel like I'm missing anything else. My other sports car is fully optioned, HUD, heated/ventilated and all, but that's all a waste in my opinion. Others who take their cars on long trips will disagree, but for my intended use, they're a waste of money. Think about your needs, see if the 2 or 3lt price is justified
Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 AM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Great info guy
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

It can easily be confusing. Here are some notes to help you make your best decision:

Base- softest most lazy ride, perfect for those who don't care to drive spiritedly and want to save $.

Base w/mag ride- King of comfort- driving long distance, want the most comfortable ride, do this.

Z51- Stiffer than base, good if you like to drive spiritedly and want to save $ vs Z51 w/mag ride.

Z51 w/mag ride- Highest handling performance available in Stingray models. Best of all worlds. Performance Traction Management System comes with Z51 w/mag ride. Stiffer suspension than base but will ride smoother than Z51 w/out mag ride. Very confident handling plus the benefit of softening/stiffening the ride on the fly.

Edit:

1LT, 2LT, 3LT are your technology and comfort/convenience packages. Keep in mind the Corvette is still well equipped in 1LT trim (power windows, locks, seats, mylink infotainment screen/radio, dual zone A/C, etc...). 2LT will get you Head Up Display, heated/air cooled seats, memory package, premium stereo, proximity alarm. 3LT will get you leather covered dash and door panels and navigation.

Navigation is an option by itself, so one can get a 2LT and then add navigation.

Most people buy 2LT.

Last edited by Nate@VanBortelChevy; 08-22-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
It can easily be confusing. Here are some notes to help you make your best decision:

Base- softest most lazy ride, perfect for those who don't care to drive spiritedly and want to save $.

OP,

To help you......This is way too general a statement. As many of us do, you can certainly drive spirited on the streets with the base suspension. It's still a Corvette.

If you're looking for a lazy ride, try a Cadillac.

Again, it's a Corvette.

There are various reasons owners elect not to get the Z51 option. The fact you happen to save money is just an added benefit.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 08-22-2017 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
OP,

To help you......This is way too general a statement. As many of us do, you can certainly drive spirited on the streets with the base suspension. It's still a Corvette.

If you're looking for a lazy ride, try a Cadillac.

Again, it's a Corvette.

There are various reasons owners elect not to get the Z51 option. The fact you happen to save money is just an added benefit.
You took offense to "softest most lazy ride" I'm guessing, The statement is not untrue. You are correct it is a Corvette, and the base car of all Corvette models has the "softest most lazy ride." That's a fact.

Get notified of new replies

To Define Z51, 3LT, 2LT, Magnetic ride

Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
You took offense to "softest most lazy ride" I'm guessing, The statement is not untrue. You are correct it is a Corvette, and the base car of all Corvette models has the "softest most lazy ride." That's a fact.
If he is taking offense I think it is for the poster stating that the car is not for drivers that like to drive spiritedly. And yes, when comparing the base to the other rides it is the softest and most lazy, but that implies all the Corvettes have a degree of laziness and softness. And in comparison to other normal cars none of the Corvettes have a lazy soft ride. I took someone for a ride the other day and she said "this thing really has a rough ride, how do you stand it?"
Old 08-22-2017, 11:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Everyone has provided their thoughts so here are mine as a comparison between my 3LT 2014 Z51 without mag shocks and my current Grand Sport.

My C6 Z51 did not have mag shocks and with our relatively good roads in Eastern SC, ride was fine. Bought the 2014 with Z51 and did not need the complication of mag shocks, position sensors on all 4 "A" arms, extra computer (all my 5 Vettes have had HD suspension and standard trans.)

Ride was fine, between mag shocks set at Touring and mag shocks set at Sport, according to GM.

The Grand Sport comes with mag shocks, no choice. Bought the 3LT in the 2014 because of the full dash Kalahari. GM got cheap and no longer available so saved ~$4,000 dollars and got a 2LT.

Would not drive without:
1) HUD to keep eyes on the road with all the distracted drivers on cell phones
2) Memory seats to help exit and entry
3) Sub woofer in 2 LT/3LT that was missing in my 3LT C6-needed IMO to help drown out road/tire noise
4) Front cameras
Other extra features like button for garage door nice to have.

I drive mostly in Touring mode that is slightly less stiff than my 2014 and softer than in Sport. Much softer than in Track that will rattle your teeth!

Have steering set at Sport and NPP set at Track regardless of driving mode setting. No way to fix Throttle response to "Always Sport or Track" so added a throttle controller and have it set about what I was used to in the 2014 as I always drove in Sport (note that had no affect on ride-no mag shocks.)

Since I brought up mods, if you're getting a Z51, GS or Z06 be prepared to change brake pads. I did when I got the Grand Sport home. Waited a year with the 2014 Z51 and had to clean brake dust every ~100 miles or dust not only looked bad it was pitting my black wheels! That was a year too long!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-22-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:53 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51

Just try to paint an accurate picture for the OP.
Why feed him with inaccurate terms.

The term "soft and lazy" should never be in the same sentence when describing any Corvette.

More accurately, the Z51 option provides a more firm ride than base suspension.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 08-22-2017 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (08-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Define Z51, 3LT, 2LT, Magnetic ride