Sponsored by:

SiriusXM Travel Link

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default SiriusXM Travel Link

I take it the weather app on the infotainment screen is a part of SiriusXM Travel Link. If so, is weather the only part of SiriusXM Travel Link the C7 can show? I have not found how to display gas prices or any of the other Travel Link features SiriusXM advertises.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I thought weather and travelink were separate services. I only have weather without travelink or Xm radio.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I thought weather and travelink were separate services. I only have weather without travelink or Xm radio.
Do you know where the weather data is coming from?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:15 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

So does the weather data go away when either Xm or onstar trials end ?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:38 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Yes. Weather stops too. Not sure of the source of weather data, but I pay SiriusXM $24 a year to have the weather feature. I don't use the music because I don't feel like playing games to get a good deal.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:29 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Oh well, I guess I'll have to deal with it.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Deftly
Do you know where the weather data is coming from?
I actually tried to look this up but all I found was this useless blurb from the XM web site.

"SiriusXM Travel Link Weather uses the same sources that professional pilots and mariners rely on every day."

Radar view seems to be accurate though. Last summer, for example, I looked at it as I was driving out of my neighborhood and saw that rain was a couple miles away. It must have popped up right after I looked at the weather on my phone or I wouldn't have take the car to begin with. Turned around and got the freshly cleaned car back in the garage just in time for one of those 5 minute downpours. Not afraid to get the car dirty but I'm too lazy to wash it a zillion times in short order.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Weather information comes over the radio. Even though I live in a really populated area, apparently the Radio signal isn't powerful enough to reach my car in most locations in Virginia Beach. Signal comes from Portsmouth, maybe 10 miles away. I have noticed it works most of the time while traveling. A great idea yet to be perfected.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM
DudleyG
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Answer to OP's question on XM Travel Link Gas and Movies...

To view gas prices, go to the navigation screen, touch the screen, select DESTINATION, then select POI (Points of Interest), then select POI's Nearby, then select the category that contains FUEL and AUTO, then select FUEL By default, it sorts by distance, but you can cycle thru distance, name, price by repeatedly pushing SORT on the screen. If you use the default of distance, it will list all gas stations and those that it knows the prices will have the price of regular on the screen. Those that it doesn't know about the price will have 3 "-" on the screen in the price column. If you sort by price, it basically only shows stations that it knows the price, the others that it doesn't know are way at the end. Select the station, and it will show all prices at the station.

I tested today at two different locations, one at I-75 exit about 6 miles from my house. There are 5 gas stations at that exit, one is brand new and been open for less than a month, one has been closed for at least 6 months, and the other 3 have been then a long time. It knew about gas prices at the 3 stations that have been there for a long time (Shell, BP, Speedway), it knew about the old, closed station (Marathon) but had no gas prices, and it didn't know the new station (BP) exists. The prices it knew exactly match what was on the outside sign. It does round up, i.e. $2.18 9/10 shows as $2.19.

Basically, the station has to be in the POI database associated with the map (mine is the latest map for a 2017 Corvette), and the station has to provide the info. When you look thru the entire list of stations, it seemed to know about prices at least 75% of the stations.

I tried the same thing at my house in a residential area, and it knew about all of the stations with about 75% of them showing gas prices. One station was $2.10 9/10 yesterday and is $2.38 9/10 today. It showed the $2.39 in the search.

For movies, same general search, get into DESTATIONS, POI's Nearby, select ENTERTAINMENT, select MOVIES. It produces a list but you have to select each theater to see if it knows what is showing and when. There is no sort method to tell it to only show Movie theaters with detailed info.

Basically, there is no ICON like the Weather app to get the info, it is built into the normal Navigation Search feature.
The following 2 users liked this post by DudleyG:
Deftly (08-23-2017), djroze (08-30-2021)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:26 PM
DudleyG
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Two more thoughts...

If you set the SORT option for gas stations to PRICE, the owner's manual for the Infotainment System says that it remembers the sort is set to PRICE the next time you use the option. If you are 200 or 300 miles from home, you probably want it set to DISTANCE so it shows all nearby stations, not just those it knows the prices.

On the movies theaters, of the ones I selected to see if it had info, it only had info on about 50% based on my very small sample, however the search showed at least 3 movie theaters in the area that have closed over the last year and obviously had no info.
The following users liked this post:
djroze (08-30-2021)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Wow, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To SiriusXM Travel Link

Quick Reply: SiriusXM Travel Link