2017 Grand Sport - Cracked Rear Transmission Tunnel Section

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:16 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by olblue75
8K in repairs totals a 70-80k car???
Sure. Remember, the payoff by the insurance company is not a dead loss to them: they have the car itself which can be parted out for quite a lot although of course the insurance company doesn't do this itself but sells it off to a salvage company specializing in this. The insurance guys just figure what nets them the least cost and go with that.

If you look at Ebay Motors you'll from time to time see rolling, stripped but driveable Corvette chassis that are being sold off, some of which are probably the end of a car whose other parts have been salvaged and resold.

(Also, in this particular case the $8K is what could be repaired; however, the car as a whole actually can't be safely and economically repaired and so would become a liability risk to anyone attempting to do so.)

Last edited by fsvoboda; 08-23-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would dump it. Plenty of C7s around to buy that can be insured and registered in all 50 states.

Salvage title would be a killer to sell it if you wanted to.

And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on the used car market, fixed someday. And is probably a good reason why I wouldn't buy a used car unless it it inspected very close.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:53 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

There is no salvage title if the original owner buys it back. Contact Louis Gigliotti at G Speed and tell him about the damage and ask if he can weld the crack and plate the area. You may end up with your car as good as new and some cash in your pocket.

Last edited by WKMCD; 08-23-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 PM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
There is no salvage title if the original owner buys it back.
If that's the case, would there be some carfax record or other indicator that the car was an ins total with buy back?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

There is no salvage title if the original owner buys it back.
Why not? Title is still being transferred, is it not? Pretty sure law stipulates that damages be disclosed upon title transfers.

Even so, when OP eventually sells it, he’s still obligated to disclose such damage, and legal action can result from subsequent owners if OP commits fraud by lying/concealing the previous damage, even if it’s been “repaired”.

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-23-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:03 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I have to ask how study it is to begin with if a chunk of concrete small enough to pass under the front of the car was enough to crack it, but I am not expert. Seems like it should be able to take more than that.

If that car gets totaled, it will be sold off and "repaired". The crack will get Bondo'd and they will paint it so it looks good. It will be sold for a quick buck and the seller will simply hope nothing happens. It looks too good not to have this happen.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

There is no salvage title if the original owner buys it back. Contact Louis Gigliotti at G Speed and tell him about the damage and ask if he can weld the crack and plate the area. You may end up with your car as good as new and some cash in your pocket.
If he can't bet he can recommend someone who can!

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I have to ask how study it is to begin with if a chunk of concrete small enough to pass under the front of the car was enough to crack it, but I am not expert. Seems like it should be able to take more than that.

If that car gets totaled, it will be sold off and "repaired". The crack will get Bondo'd and they will paint it so it looks good. It will be sold for a quick buck and the seller will simply hope nothing happens. It looks too good not to have this happen.
Good points! IMO this Thread is making a mountain out of a mole hill! Bet you're flying on airplanes with bigger cracks! Unlike steel, aluminum blunts cracks and they can be pretty big before a repair is needed. If this bothers you'all suggest you don't travel over any bridges!

It is NOT that bad as I can see from the pics! Anyone skilled at aluminum welding with TIG or Pulsed MIG could weld it overhead.

Recall producing 125 Pulsed MIG welders for John Deere in Ankeny Iowa in the early 1990s! They were welding steel and to reduce welding fumes used a special product we made for them that cut fumes in half! This is not rocket science and the crack is not that deep. Can be ground out, opened up so no crack is visible and a quality weld repair made!

Agree, what I describe is doing it properly but someone might buy the car and do it with Bondo and paint!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-24-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigsapper
OP you are in a unique position to make some dreams come true and pocket some extra cash.

Buy back the salvage title. Pull the engine and advertise it on PerformanceTrucks.net. Back when I had my Silverado (regular cab) I was wanting to do a 6.2L swap. I would have paid $8k for the complete engine without batting an eye.

Do they same for the transmission but I'm not sure what the market would be for that.

Finally advertise the roller on racingjunk.com. Probably could get $10-$15k from someone looking to do a promo or outlaw build.
It's not so easy. Reminds me of looking for a Harley at a large wholesale salvage company that has an auction every other week in town. Found several on their website and went over and looked at them. One wasn't in bad shape, could have bought an aftermarket frame and used the parts. Was planning to have a friend with a used car lot bid on it for me (need to be a dealer to bid.)

Checked with my insurance agent who had a Harley. He laughed. Said they do right them off quickly as the parts are too expensive. Owner gets a depreciated amount, they put it in an auction and get back what they gave the owner and often much more! Found out that folks pay a a lot of money for just the Harley name plate and serial number!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-24-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:30 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Some 35 years ago, a guy I knew owned a auto salvage yard in a small remote town. He bought all the 'salvage' titles cars he could get his hands on.

He then contacted his "business associate" in a huge city 200 miles away to steal a car that was the same(including color) as a car he had a salvage title on. Then he would remove the windshield, swap out the VIN tag, replace the windshield and sell a perfect, non wrecked car, as a rebuilt car with a 'rebuilt" title. He would then part out the wrecked car, and send what was left to the crusher.

A bunch of people bought a "rebuilt" car from him that had never actually been wrecked. But once he was caught and they traced those "rebuilt" titles to the unsuspecting owners of those cars, they had to give them up to the insurance companies as they were stolen cars.

PS- I didn't know what he was up to, until he got caught by the FBI.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-24-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM
JakeC7GS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
No way I'd try to do the math here, but the impact forces of a 3800lb vehicle @ 70mph hitting a 1 or 2lb object at rest must be significant. Not to mention the friction/resistance from pinching the object between the vehicle frame and road surface. Structural aluminum is tough, but it was never designed for that kind of abuse.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Some 35 years ago, a guy I knew owned a auto salvage yard in a small remote town. He bought all the 'salvage' titles cars he could get his hands on.

He then contacted his "business associate" in a huge city 200 miles away to steal a car that was the same(including color) as a car he had a salvage title on. Then he would remove the windshield, swap out the VIN tag, replace the windshield and sell a perfect, none wrecked car, as a rebuilt car with a 'rebuilt" title. He would then part out the wrecked car, and send what was left to the crusher.

A bunch of people bought a "rebuilt" car from him that had never actually been wrecked. But once he was caught and they traced those "rebuilt" titles to the unsuspecting owners of those cars, they had to give them up to the insurance companies as they were stolen cars.

I know a bunch of cops who did the same thing in cooperation with a couple of local tow company guys. State police got involved after a random car sale to an off duty state police officer exposed the deal.

Several cops I knew got suspended, a few got indicted. After some time passed and attention died down, none got convicted of anything, not even a 3rd degree misdemeanor. All who were suspended were returned to full time status and all but one works to this day in the same city.

The one I know really well was off the job for almost 4 yrs. People would ask him where he'd been and he said he was "practicing law".
Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I know a bunch of cops who did the same thing in cooperation with a couple of local tow company guys. State police got involved after a random car sale to an off duty state police officer exposed the deal.

Several cops I knew got suspended, a few got indicted. After some time passed and attention died down, none got convicted of anything, not even a 3rd degree misdemeanor. All who were suspended were returned to full time status and all but one works to this day in the same city.

The one I know really well was off the job for almost 4 yrs. People would ask him where he'd been and he said he was "practicing law".
In the case I spoke of, a bunch of people went to jail. John, the owner of the salvage yard, the owner of a local auto parts store, several owners of local body shops, etc. One guy that was sent to jail committed suicide in jail when his wife(who didn't know what he was involved in) divorced him while he was in jail.

Only reason they got caught is that the guy doing the car stealing was going to the same convenience store after he stole a car to gas it up for the 200 mile drive to John's salvage yard. The guy working at the convenience store, grew suspicious when he was seeing the same black guy driving a different car every few weeks.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:29 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

I hate it when that happens.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

He then contacted his "business associate" in a huge city 200 miles away to steal a car that was the same(including color) as a car he had a salvage title on. Then he would remove the windshield, swap out the VIN tag, replace the windshield and sell a perfect, non wrecked car, as a rebuilt car with a 'rebuilt" title. He would then part out the wrecked car, and send what was left to the crusher.

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.

Similar Story! When working in OH flew out of the Cleveland airport several times/month. Had a rag top CJ5 and a 260Z. Did not want to park either in the multistory parking garage. Used Park & Fly and the gals who ran that operation and drove you to the airport let me park close to their pay booth. Mostly drove the Jeep.

One day I mentioned to the young lady driver I was concerned about parking in the parking garage because someone could easily get in my soft top Jeep. She said, "You should be, my friend works there and they buy wrenched cars than steel a similar car from the lot and swap VINs!"

Last edited by JerryU; 08-24-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:27 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Regarding "Cherry" story

"you can't weld cast aluminum". Hmmm... how does the frame get constructed again? Pretty sure it's welded.

Also, "The frame welds failed at every weld point within the cars' frame" -- from a low-speed impact?

"car was never tested"?

I would be leery of a repaired frame C7 too, but the above story sounds like utter garbage -- I think Cherry is going nuclear with the hyperbole, hoping to hit the lawsuit lottery.
I googled every which way I could think of trying to find ANY report of this "accident", no luck (Lewisville is only about 1.5 hours from where I live). I find it literally impossible to believe that a "low speed" crash would cause ANY modern car to break into 3 pieces. Until someone can provide an actual link, I believe I'll join you on the "BS" patrol.

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-24-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I hope not. 75 posts about "fake news".
Old 08-25-2017, 07:46 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
While that sounds like a great idea, his insurance company may not be willing to provide full collision coverage on the car in the future if he does that.
That's when you get a new insurance company.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport - Cracked Rear Transmission Tunnel Section

Old 08-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I can Tig that bitch right up and it would last forever... Sad...
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Breze84
Man I can Tig that bitch right up and it would last forever... Sad...
From the pics it does not look like that bad a problem.

I recalled a pic of a defective MIG weld I took at Laguna Seca in August 2013 of the C7 frame on display! And that was a model! Would not doubt there are some crater cracks in some of the MIG welds made on production frames!

Crack in MIG weld on display frame!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-25-2017 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flattman (08-28-2022)
Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

People keep posting over and over that it could be fixed. I don't think you're getting the point, the insurance company makes that call if they want to fix it or not. Then the owner can decide if they want to buy it out as a salvage title and maybe fix it if they want.

Then if you do fix it, if you ever want to sell it you are selling a car with a salvaged title which will drop its value down a little as well. Need to make sure you factor that in to determine if it is worth it, plus if you want to trust that weld.

All possible, but things to consider.

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport - Cracked Rear Transmission Tunnel Section