Prray
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts

Canceled both!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:46 AM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 514 Likes on 304 Posts

No Onstar for me, but I do the 6 month Sirius game, just re upped for $7.00 per month including fees, always have them invoice me, never ever give them a credit card.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Yes to both, even though it’s always been very trendy to hate them, especially here on CF. LoL

OnStar (the mid/safety tier, not turn by turn level): because I like the features and the cost is low enough to be worth it to me. I don’t use the calling feature often, but I keep 30 phone mins or so banked for the unexpected. I DID need it a few weeks ago when I forgot my phone — was still easily able to make a call or two.

Sirius: because I hate FM, and while internet radio is nice, coverage is spotty and I don't want to burn cellular data every time I want to simply listen to music or news. SiriusXM satellite radio is good to go everywhere I travel and offers a variety that would be impossible to duplicate on a USB. On top of that, USB can’t provide the major news channels. Yes, it's worth it to me to have to make a single 5-minute phone call once every 6 months to get the special pricing. Can't see what the big fuss is about that.

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-23-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Sirius ... However their cancellation policy is a nightmare.
Sirius/XM tricks:

Get those special deals that work out to about $7/month. Sure, you've got to cancel and renew occasionally, but it can be done.

Never give them your credit card, use the invoice/check method. Argue with them and they'll drop the $2 invoice fee. Greedy bastards.

Tell them to put you on their do-not-call list, and they won't call you.

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
... but the commercials are now just as bad as radio. I thought that was the whole reason was to be commercial free.
It is commercial free. Where are you hearing commercials, on the local stations that they stream?

Originally Posted by WMark
... but I'm a simple man, and often in stretches with NO cell service.
Not only that, but we don't all have unlimited data plans.

As for the original questions, I've dropped the OnStar because I just don't see the value in it. Maybe if I was older and worried more about crash response.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I don't see any reason to stop it.

I like the music.

I like the phone link to my iPhone.
I like being able to unlock the car in an emergency.

If you don't like it Sirius/OnStar cancel.

Elmer
Elmer--How can you possibly like the music? It is so over compressed the sound quality of God-awful.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
Elmer--How can you possibly like the music? It is so over compressed the sound quality of God-awful.
The C7 is far from an ideal listening chamber. Between the louder exhaust and all the road noise of the wide tires mere inches from the back of our heads, the compression effects of the music are far less noticeable.

But perhaps it's just that many of us aren't true audiophiles and are just not as picky as you are -- we just like some music while we drive.

Nothing wrong with either preference.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
egp (08-24-2017), Yaupon (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 12:52 PM
JaxC7
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Will not renew either on my Vette or on my wife's car. I have a huge personal collection of music plus a Spotify account. There is nothing that Sirius has that's worth the price and/or the hassle of negotiating to get a decent renewal price. We also don't have bad traffic on our commutes, so even the Sirius traffic isn't useful to us. Same for the weather info as my phone apps are better.

As far as OnStar goes, I like the emergency features, but in the six months I've had my car, I've not once used OnStar for anything.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:04 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I keep the XM traffic data, and as little else as is possible to do so. For maybe 2 of our cars we keep the music.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:12 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

No to both for ALL of my family's 4 cars.
Only kept Sirius on my wife's car, at $30 for 5 months repeats deals, since she likes to listen to talk health & gossip stations.

Just got email that Sirius gave me 2 months of free programing, after being off for almost 3 yrs.

Agreed that the heavily compressed music from Sirius sounds worse than AM stations...

Last edited by NavyBlue2; 08-23-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Yes to both, even though it’s always been very trendy to hate them, especially here on CF. LoL

OnStar (the mid/safety tier, not turn by turn level): because I like the features and the cost is low enough to be worth it to me. I don’t use the calling feature often, but I keep 30 phone mins or so banked for the unexpected. I DID need it a few weeks ago when I forgot my phone — was still easily able to make a call or two.

Sirius: because I hate FM, and while internet radio is nice, coverage is spotty and I don't want to burn cellular data every time I want to simply listen to music or news. SiriusXM satellite radio is good to go everywhere I travel and offers a variety that would be impossible to duplicate on a USB. On top of that, USB can’t provide the major news channels. Yes, it's worth it to me to have to make a single 5-minute phone call once every 6 months to get the special pricing. Can't see what the big fuss is about that.
I have OnStar on 3 vehicles. The last one I renewed was $164/yr for the Safe and Sound Plan which doesn't include directions or making reservations. That gets me the diagnostics, crash notification and road side services. The last time I used OnStar was when I was towing my car to the track with my 2003 Tahoe a year ago and I had a flat tire on the Tahoe. My spare was hung up in the receiver under the truck and I essentially had no spare. One button push and help was on the way with no charge to me. The less I use OnStar the better. It is like insurance the less I use it the better.

Bill
Old 08-23-2017, 05:37 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by ea327
I also like the way I can look up a location on my phone and send it to the car's navigation.
I like that to, but you don't need a subscription to onstar to do that.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:50 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
They cannot have a playlist of 15 songs. My only objection to the Beatles station is when they play songs that influenced the Beatles in their early years-don't want to hear Chuck Berry songs on the Beatle station.

I get Sirius on my C7 for $99 a yr plus tax. When it is time to renew, I negotiate the same deal for the upcoming yr. Worth it in my opinion, and I have Spotify. Gotta have my music when I drive.
If I could have obtained Sirius for that price, I would have kept it. I tried to negotiate with them on more than one occasion. They said it was all ($120 for 6 months) or nothing. I chose nothing. Just when I was ready to cave in, a new station started up in the Raleigh area with nothing but oldies from the 70s and 80s. I'd rather listen to that station than Sirius.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:04 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
One note on SiruisXM. They just added a Beatles channel O.M.G. Favorite band.

And then. I had no idea they made so many bad songs. They only play the crappy Beatles songs. And the post Beatles crappy stuff. And crappy cover stuff. So sad. That channel alone would have kept me a subscriber at full price but jeesh, what a fail.
Sirius seems to be king of playing B-sides. I don't get why they play so much bad music, I don't know if it's cause they are cheaper or what, but I see this on all the stations. I've had it on a few cars during trial periods and never renewed it.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

I decided to keep OnStar, but didn't renew on SiriusXM. I barely use Sirius on my daily driver, much less on a vehicle will be on the road 6-8 months a year. They even called me a couple of weeks ago to see if I can extend my plan unto the Corvette to which I politely refused. The amount of stations that's on Sirius versus the few that I actually use doesn't justify the means. It's almost like cable television.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
... a new station started up in the Raleigh area with nothing but oldies from the 70s and 80s.
How sad is it that the music that we grew up with as young adults with is now "oldies"?

When I first moved to the Raleigh area, we had a station of "smooth jazz" which was great. Until they changed to whatever it is now (it may be the 70/80 station that you refer to, roadbike56).

For those complaining about SiriusXM compression, there are at least two stations that have minimal compression and noticeably better sound quality. The Bridge and Watercolors. Don't ask me the station numbers.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
The C7 is far from an ideal listening chamber. Between the louder exhaust and all the road noise of the wide tires mere inches from the back of our heads, the compression effects of the music are far less noticeable.

But perhaps it's just that many of us aren't true audiophiles and are just not as picky as you are -- we just like some music while we drive.

Nothing wrong with either preference.
the listening chamber in my vert must be much different than yours. I find my system excellent but then my top is always off if that makes a difference.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

My insurance is less costly with On Star.

Get notified of new replies

To Who keeps their OnStar and Sirius XM?

Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ea327
I also like the way I can look up a location on my phone and send it to the car's navigation.
Wouldn't CP or AA be simpler ?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I kept both, but the XM is now part of my family bundle, $10 each.

The OnStar? I'm rich, so I really don't care...lol I'm thinking of it as insurance.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

If you like and use the features then keep it. I never have had a need, especially at the price, for any of it.

Quick Reply: Who keeps their OnStar and Sirius XM?