Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear ended by a drunk :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:00 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Gripping story. I thought you were going to punk us and say it was fiction at the end! U B crazy to chase the unknown like that, wow!
Did local LEO reprimand you for giving pursuit?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 AM
efarley
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
The lower valence can be purchased discounted for around $456 and it comes painted. The heat shield can be purchased painted for $195. The tow eye cap is $3.50. Bumper retainers are $22 each (4 of them), if you need any of them. The absorber behind the bumper is $105. Your 1/4 panel support bracket might be bent, the bracket is $6.

A body shop is going to charge retail for these parts, which will be more than the prices I quoted above (from GM Parts Direct). Your shop might be able to match these prices if you know someone at the shop, otherwise you could just order the parts yourself.

The mufflers are expensive if you need them, especially if you have NPP. They look ok to me. Hard to tell from these pics, but it looks like there is no damage to the red bumper cover. Are the lights loose?
Yeah those prices are about what I found also, however I made the decision to go with GM retail prices since that's what the insurance company will write a check for. Idk that I'll go through the work of sourcing all the parts myself. I'll see what the final parts list looks like, it's not a bad idea I could use the extra to get a CF rear diffuser that I've wanted for a long time.

I do have NPP and the valve actuator or what ever you want to call it that comes out of the side and opens/closes the valves got hit and is pushed back with the bumper. It might just be mounts, but without removing the bumper it's difficult to say.

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Gripping story. I thought you were going to punk us and say it was fiction at the end! U B crazy to chase the unknown like that, wow!
Did local LEO reprimand you for giving pursuit?
No they seemed more preoccupied with dealing with a DUI hit and run.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-24-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your reply look like this.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:02 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by NmtMev
DUDE.... straight up OP.... that guy could have stopped his car and shot and killed you. Motherf*ckers are crazy. THE car is not worth it... see my post above..
As long as we're playing what ifs, that dude could have stopped his car and shot and killed him even if he had never hit him in the first place. That's the thing about speculation - it's not the truth at all - it's just guessing.

Last edited by defaria; 08-24-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 AM
efarley
Racer

Originally Posted by rbartick
The lower valence can be purchased discounted for around $456 and it comes painted. The heat shield can be purchased painted for $195. The tow eye cap is $3.50. Bumper retainers are $22 each (4 of them), if you need any of them. The absorber behind the bumper is $105. Your 1/4 panel support bracket might be bent, the bracket is $6.

A body shop is going to charge retail for these parts, which will be more than the prices I quoted above (from GM Parts Direct). Your shop might be able to match these prices if you know someone at the shop, otherwise you could just order the parts yourself.

The mufflers are expensive if you need them, especially if you have NPP. They look ok to me. Hard to tell from these pics, but it looks like there is no damage to the red bumper cover. Are the lights loose?
Just took some more time and actually compared the prices on GM parts online with their discounts to the retail prices and it's more of a difference than I expected. It shouldn't cost much over a grand even including a full NPP replacement, more than enough of a savings to cover the extra cost to upgrade my rear diffuser to carbon fiber. Thank you for pointing out this opportunity.

Last edited by efarley; 08-24-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:26 AM
Ramapo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by efarley

At the end of it all he ended up spending the night in jail on a DUI and I get to have my insurance rates go up thanks to an uninsured driver.
No way do your insurance rates go up. Worst thing about this is it gives you a dirty CarFax.

This particularly affects me, because it looks like you were driving MY car. Torch red, carbon flash mirrors/spoiler, even black badges. I don't see any exactly like that.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I agree 100%.

In the moment I'm the kind of person that reflexively swings back, or in this case gives pursuit without thinking. Knowing this tendency is why I typically carry, but in this instance was not, which considering in hindsight how everything went down was probably for the best.
Speaking as a fellow Oregonian, don't use a firearm, odds are you will just as likely end up as the guy's bunkmate.

Originally Posted by AORoads
Unless I'm recalling it wrong, Portland is a "sanctuary city."
WTF does that have to do with the OP's incident?

[
Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 AM
efarley
Racer

Originally Posted by Ramapo
No way do your insurance rates go up. Worst thing about this is it gives you a dirty CarFax.

This particularly affects me, because it looks like you were driving MY car. Torch red, carbon flash mirrors/spoiler, even black badges. I don't see any exactly like that.
I've had some people tell me when they had to put a hit and run on their insurance they sneak rate hikes in over time to make the money back. Hopefully not, time will tell.

Yeah that is pretty rare, I've never seen one exactly like mine. Things you can't see from the photos, carbon fiber Z06 side skirts and front splitter, exposed carbon fiber hood, and carbon fiber roof. Soon to be carbon fiber rear diffuser I hope. I love the torch red with everything blacked out.

Did you go with the red stitch on the interior also? It's really rare also, but ties that red paint into the interior brilliantly.

Last edited by efarley; 08-24-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:42 AM
B-CARFL
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about what happened. Just noticed you are from Oregon as well!
Old 08-24-2017, 01:45 AM
efarley
Racer

Originally Posted by B-CARFL
Sorry to hear about what happened. Just noticed you are from Oregon as well!
I live in beaverton, that's where this all went down! Small world.

Last edited by efarley; 08-24-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:40 AM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Two wrongs don't make a right. Ever.
True.

But three rights make a left, so there ya go.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:40 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I've had some people tell me when they had to put a hit and run on their insurance they sneak rate hikes in over time to make the money back. Hopefully not, time will tell.
How exactly do they sneak rate hikes over time? Don't you pay attention?
Ramapo (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 03:51 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Former law enforcement here....and I won't lie...that's a damn good story...haha. You definitely took some risks that aren't advisable but, in the heat of the moment, it's understandable. No one would've ever found the guy and 95% of LEO's would've just told you "turn it in", filled out the report and that was that. F that guy.

The chase part was good, but then you and this dude were scrapping...hahaha. Where's the PDR on this...would've been great aside from the fact you were committing crimes chasing him...haha.

Sometimes taking a chance and getting justice is worth it. At least some in this country still have a little *****.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
Carl Timonen (08-26-2017), Maxie2U (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Was it right when people said former president Obama was a Muslim? and not born here? No it wasn't. nor is it right to say something like that about our current President. I'm sure you're better than that.

Please remove that comment, it's beneath a fellow corvette brother to do that man.
Yes, this will turn an interesting thead into a brawl.

Last edited by Carvin; 08-24-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Typo
woodsguy (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I agree 100%.

In the moment I'm the kind of person that reflexively swings back, or in this case gives pursuit without thinking. Knowing this tendency is why I typically carry, but in this instance was not, which considering in hindsight how everything went down was probably for the best.
I think it was very lucky for you (and your family) that you did not have your gun with you at that time.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Agreed.
I never carry a gun on the road: my temper + gun = bad outcome
The following 2 users liked this post by sunsalem:
dvilin (08-24-2017), woodsguy (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Make sure you put in a claim for diminished value as this could and probably will show up on a car fax
Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys, I have deleted the political posts in this thread. This is NOT a political forum, this is a Corvette forum.

I would strongly encourage you to leave your political postings at the door or go to threads in this forum based upon political views.

Cheers.....
The following 7 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
767guy (08-28-2017), blkvet6 (12-15-2017), efarley (08-24-2017), Maxie2U (08-25-2017), RVC (10-11-2017), sunsalem (08-24-2017), Vetteram (10-10-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Get notified of new replies

To Got rear ended by a drunk :(

Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Pretty wild series of events, glad in the end it all worked out and the drunk idiot was dealt with.
Good luck with the repairs.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:02 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by NmtMev
My friend had a similar thing happen to him, all the while the guy who hit him was on the phone with his gangbanger friends. The guy pulls over near an apartment building in a cul de sac, gets out the car and starts taunting my friend. About 6 guys show up out of nowhere and proceed to beat the **** out of my friends car with baseball bats. He gets hit in the shoulder and neck while still inside the car.

my buddy guns it in reverse, runs one of the guys over and barely escapes with his life. He calls 911 and meets the cops about 3 blocks away they tell him to stay put with one of the sheriffs.

after a few hours of talking to neighbors, they sheriffs were able to identify the driver. He was arrested the next day. Long story short. They never found the friends and he didn't rat them out. The Hit in run driver is in prison now.

be careful who you follow.... sometimes it's not worth it.
that's why they make glocks
Old 08-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys, I have deleted the political posts in this thread. This is NOT a political forum, this is a Corvette forum.

I would strongly encourage you to leave your political postings at the door or go to threads in this forum based upon political views.

Cheers.....
Right on!!!!

Quick Reply: Got rear ended by a drunk :(