C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is it that some people overheat A8 at track and not others? Weird.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:23 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How is it that some people overheat A8 at track and not others? Weird.

I have tracked my 2015 base A8 several times. I am approaching mid level driver. Not a pro by any means. I have not had my car overheat. I put z51 sway bars, z51 shocks, dei lava wrap around left and right side of auto tranny, dei cat shield and four aluminum arc heat cooling fins on bottom of oil trans pan. 600 Motul brake fluid. I started just tracking car in drive but then from then on drive it in Manual. Car is damn fast and super easy to get around course, crazy handling. Is it that the advanced drivers are overheating this darn trans no so much novice and mid level drivers? How have you faired, especially those with base A8. I might just quit while I am ahead, not wait until I become advanced so as not to add secondary cooler, etc. Tell me your story. Ger.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 AM
efarley
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Depends on ambient temperatures, driving styles, track, issues in the production process for a period of time etc. Lots of variables in play. When I was at ron fellows they used lot's of A8's and it was 125+ degrees while I was there and not one had a problem, so some of them are certainly rock soild. Z06s were another story, they all were having to take cool down laps every 4-5 laps.

Last edited by efarley; 08-24-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I have seen people in last place that thought they were fast because only the top racers were passing them.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:15 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by mungodrums
I have tracked my 2015 base A8 several times. I am approaching mid level driver. Not a pro by any means. I have not had my car overheat. I put z51 sway bars, z51 shocks, dei lava wrap around left and right side of auto tranny, dei cat shield and four aluminum arc heat cooling fins on bottom of oil trans pan. 600 Motul brake fluid. I started just tracking car in drive but then from then on drive it in Manual. Car is damn fast and super easy to get around course, crazy handling. Is it that the advanced drivers are overheating this darn trans no so much novice and mid level drivers? How have you faired, especially those with base A8. I might just quit while I am ahead, not wait until I become advanced so as not to add secondary cooler, etc. Tell me your story. Ger.
Just keep racing in manual mode, you should be fine. Spirited driving in auto is what overheats the transmission.
Might want to get used to using manual mode on the street too, to avoid any of the AFM/torque converter issues until GM irons out the A8 problems. Jmo

Originally Posted by efarley
Depends on ambient temperatures, driving styles, track, issues in the production process for a period of time etc. Lots of variables in play. When I was at ron fellows they used lot's of A8's and it was 125+ degrees while I was there and not one had a problem, so some of them are certainly rock soild. Z06s were another story, they all were having to take cool down laps every 4-5 laps.
All automatic transmission users are instructed to run in manual mode. The cool down laps you speak of were for the engines I believe. Jmo
Old 08-24-2017, 02:26 AM
efarley
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
Just keep racing in manual mode, you should be fine. Spirited driving in auto is what overheats the transmission.
Might want to get used to using manual mode on the street too, to avoid any of the AFM/torque converter issues until GM irons out the A8 problems. Jmo

All automatic transmission users are instructed to run in manual mode. The cool down laps you speak of were for the engines I believe. Jmo
You're correct, I forgot they instructed all A8 drivers to use manual mode only (I was in a M7). Also yes the Z06 overheating was engine related, it wasn't so much on topic as just saying they were the only vettes having issues out there.

The instructors also said to never use performance shift mode as it holds low gears too aggressively and damages the transmission.

Last edited by efarley; 08-24-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, the tracks at Spring Mountain are relatively soft on cars. Compared to Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen, the speeds are much less, the braking zones are much gentler, and there are fewer places to really jump on acceleration.

Get notified of new replies

To How is it that some people overheat A8 at track and not others? Weird.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How is it that some people overheat A8 at track and not others? Weird.