C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to rejoin the Corvette family--considering the Z51 manual; a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:11 PM
MikenOH
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking to rejoin the Corvette family--considering the Z51 manual; a few questions

After having moved to the dark side 18 years ago, (Porsche) I'm thinking about getting back into a Corvette via a 2014-16 Z51 couple with manual tranny. Use will be cruising and a couple of track events/year.
Questions:
-Any significant differences between the model years with either problems/build quality?
-Any differences in model years with equipment /performance or improvements?
- Seems like the price differences on the used cars between 1LT and 3LT trim levels aren't as significant as when they were new; 2LT/3LT the only way to go?
-mag shocks: I've seen few cars equipped with them. Are these a must have for occasional track service or is the stock system good enough? Likewise, any aftermarket mag shocks worth considering?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by MikenOH
Questions:
-Any significant differences between the model years with either problems/build quality?
There have been more problems with the 8 speed automatic transmission than the 6 speed auto that is available in the '14 cars. No real problems with the 7 speed manual.

Any differences in model years with equipment /performance or improvements?
The 8 vs 6 speed auto as mentioned above. Starting in '15 the Performance Driving Recorder becomes available.

Seems like the price differences on the used cars between 1LT and 3LT trim levels aren't as significant as when they were new; 2LT/3LT the only way to go?
Trim packages are only one part of the price of a used car. Mileage, etc. are players as well.

mag shocks: I've seen few cars equipped with them. Are these a must have for occasional track service or is the stock system good enough?
Haven't had the opportunity to track mine yet, but opinions are quite positive. Z51 non-magnetic suspension seems to do just fine as well, just not as nice on the street.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-27-2017, 12:50 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MikenOH
After having moved to the dark side 18 years ago, (Porsche) I'm thinking about getting back into a Corvette via a 2014-16 Z51 couple with manual tranny. Use will be cruising and a couple of track events/year.
Questions:
-Any differences in model years with equipment /performance or improvements?
- Seems like the price differences on the used cars between 1LT and 3LT trim levels aren't as significant as when they were new; 2LT/3LT the only way to go?
-mag shocks: I've seen few cars equipped with them. Are these a must have for occasional track service or is the stock system good enough? Likewise, any aftermarket mag shocks worth considering?
Thanks in advance for any help.
I have 30ish track days on my M7 z51. Knock on wood, so far it has been bullet proof. The m7 negates a lot of the potential problems.

I'll be honest. I love the curb cameras that started in MY 2016. Parking in my garage would be a nightmare without it. I believe they were in 2lt as well as 3lt. 2016 also rolled in android auto. I use that all the time as well.

But a curb camera? Android auto? Who cares. Your main question about reliability... You should be golden with a m7.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:43 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Yes...I recommend M7 Z51 with MRC and PDR. And then, supercharge it. You'll be QUITE happy!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Rsaodom
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

2lt is the sweet spot for options. Front cameras and apple CarPlay/android auto are included in 2LT/ 2LZ package since 2016. Throw in nav and PDR if you want those features. Magride is a separate option that I highly recommend for street driving. My c7 z51 M7 didn't have magride and the rough ride is the main reason my wife didn't like riding in the car. We ended up trading it for a Z06 and considered the GS since GS has magride as standard and same for the Z since 2016. Good luck in your search and post pics when you get you C7!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:06 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Re MSRC: part of the mag shock option is also Performance Traction Management, IMO a good option to have if you're going to track the car.

Although the PDR was not available in 2014, you can get better quality video and just about the same telemetry with a Garmin Virb or similar camera - the one advantage the PDR video has is being able to wash the telemetry through the Cosworth Tool Box software.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:20 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Mag shocks / MSRC (magnetic selective! ride control) - if you want to be able to adjust your shock settings, get it. Tracking your car (or just like having multiple cars in one) - you'll want it!

2LT vs 3LT - definitely sit in both. Some people say, especially if choosing all black interior, there's not enough of a difference to go for the 3LT. For me - the difference of leather dash, and alcantara headliner / upper, makes 3LT more than worth it. But an easy enough decision sitting in each separately.

NPP (performance exhaust) - not all that loud, but definitely more aggressive than without. Worth the money.

Absolutely love my 3LT 7M Z51 with MSRC and NPP. It's my daily driver for approx. 18K miles a year.
The following users liked this post:
itaylorm (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:02 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a 3LT 8A Z51 with MSRC and NPP, love it
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:05 PM
MikenOH
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies.
Regarding the Mag shocks, if you don't don't it on the car are your driving modes for the stability control significantly reduced? I get the feeling that the track mode options only are available with the MSRC.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Z51 with MSRC gives you additional options for traction control when in Track mode. This is referred to as PTM (performance Traction Mode) and those additional options are Wet, Dry, Sport Performance 1, Sport Performance 2, and Race. Each has a pre-set assumption for how much wheel spin will be permitted when unwinding out of the turn and accelerating - allowing you to just put the pedal to the floor and let the car make some assumptions about how much slip to allow. Here is a great link on how it works from Tadge:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

Without MSRC, you still have Track mode (and the ability to be in Competition Driving mode) which according to the folks at Spring Mountain, is roughly equivalent to Sport Performance 1, leaving you to modulate the throttle coming out of the turn.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to rejoin the Corvette family--considering the Z51 manual; a few questions

Quick Reply: Looking to rejoin the Corvette family--considering the Z51 manual; a few questions