C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined the "A8 failure club", but this issue sounds different from others I've seen

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Joined the "A8 failure club", but this issue sounds different from others I've seen

2015 Z06, just under 15K miles.

Driving home from work on Monday night I noticed after making a right turn at a stoplight the engine RPM started shooting up and I quickly lost all forward movement (as well as reverse).

After sitting for several minutes and getting ready to call AAA to have it towed, for some reason I thought what the heck and started it up again to see if I could make it to the dealership since they were literally around the corner from where I broke down.

Oddly enough the car felt fine and I was able to make it about a 1/4 mile before it happened again. I waited another couple of minutes and was able to finally make it there, although I was coasting at the very end.

The dealership hasn't torn it down yet but in the meantime I was curious if this same (or similar) thing has happened to anybody else. Basically it'll drive fine for a VERY short distance before not moving at all.

No codes were thrown and I didn't see any leaking fluid underneath.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Yeah, that is something new. Never heard of that sort of failure before.

Might be a computer issue. My A8 was replaced with 100 miles on the clock. Mine would still move a little, never stuck. But mine too would act ok on restart. Turned out it was the TCM. At the time, the A8 was brand new and they did not permit dealer techs to open the A8, so they swapped the whole bloody thing even though the TCM is external. I also had codes, and backfiring. But it acted normal for a while after restart just like yours.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I have been following the thread about the A-8 tranny because that's what I would want if/when I trade up, but after reading all of these kind of problems I think I'll pass, my A-6 works great
Hope they get it figured out permanently so that you don't have the "intermittent" ordeal to go thru
NSF
Old 11-29-2017, 02:29 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Update

Turns out that some (but not all) of the clutches burned up due to a lack of proper fluid pressure.

When the tech contacted GM support they had apparently seen it happen a few times before, so the shop rebuilt it and should have it finished for me today. They ended up replacing the bad clutches and installed a brand new housing due to a possible defect which they suspect might have caused the pressure issue.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:37 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

always an A8 with issues here. Never any with the m7. GM needs to get their act together.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:46 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Turns out that some (but not all) of the clutches burned up due to a lack of proper fluid pressure.

When the tech contacted GM support they had apparently seen it happen a few times before, so the shop rebuilt it and should have it finished for me today. They ended up replacing the bad clutches and installed a brand new housing due to a possible defect which they suspect might have caused the pressure issue.
I glad to hear you got your baby fixed my friend.

Originally Posted by PobreWey
always an A8 with issues here. Never any with the m7. GM needs to get their act together.
Hopefully (but not holding my breath) GM can find a way to use the A10 (that was a joint venture with Ford) in the Corvette someday. After reading some reviews, and watching videos of the A10 in the '18 Mustangs I was quite impressed. If they can't figure a way, they do as you say get their act together. My A8 (with 7500 miles) has been fine, but has it's quirks, and one never knows if that slush box will last.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 11-29-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Although this is not a typical A8 failure, I believe it happened for the same reason as the torque converter issues. I think it's the low pressure pump in the valve body not being up to task.

The A8 low pressure pump feature is primarily what makes the transmission more fuel efficient then the A6 because it greatly reduces parasitic loss of running full hydraulic pressure during light load/cruising. This would also explain why there may be less issues with cars driven in paddle mode as the pump probably stays at high pressure during that time.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I experienced a similar issue about a week ago. I was slowing down to make a right turn and when I began to accelerate after making the turn the engine revved up but the car was not accelerating. I let off the gas and all went back to normal. The rear tires were not spinning, road was dry and I was only very lightly accelerating. Hasn't happened again but I continue to worry about the longterm reliability of the drive train in my car. Glad I have a GMEPP for 7 years. I will dump the car before it expires.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (11-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Joined the "A8 failure club", but this issue sounds different from others I've seen

Quick Reply: Joined the "A8 failure club", but this issue sounds different from others I've seen