Sponsored by:

Onstar BS

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:22 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Onstar BS

So, last week my 14 was at the dealer after going totally dead. When I picked up the car, they said they had arranged for me to get 3 months of free Onstar. I intentionally did not push the Onstar button, but was being bugged by the dealer. Today, I gave in and pushed the button. During their pitch, they say that part of the agreement is that they share your information including info on driving behavior. I said"WHAT, I don't have an insurance nanny and I'm not having you monitor my driving behavior. I ended the call. WTF. I don't need that crap. Rant over.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I heard OnStar is still active even if you don't have an account, at least for what they want. I had OnStar disable the system before. They said "You won't be able to push the blue button to come back". I said "I will have to find a way to live with that". A week later the Onstar went dead.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, your cell phone does all that for you already.
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I heard OnStar is still active even if you don't have an account, at least for what they want. I had OnStar disable the system before. They said "You won't be able to push the blue button to come back". I said "I will have to find a way to live with that". A week later the Onstar went dead.
That's like the latest trend nowadays. Instead of ending the service and thanking you for your business (or potential business deal), they want to put the guilt trip on you. As if babies will be crying in unison because you either take your business elsewhere or just make a simple conscious decision.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:25 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Have you pushed the button yet?? Or are they still watching you???
Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

This is why I disabled OnStar in my ex Buick Enclave. I got rid of that car and the Volt. Now I just have OnStar in one vehicle and I haven't activated it for this very reason. I don't want them profiting by sending information about MY habits to other companies. I do like the service but given I paid for it, in the Volt, that payment was enough as far as I'm concerned. The problem is most people are sheep. They don't care. They give away their rights and privacies for inconsequential convenience. This has the collateral effect of forcing me to do the same because these companies see near zero resistance to their policies of invasion.

These same sheep probably use facebook and twitter everyday.
The following users liked this post:
kenownr (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

GM makes big money on OnStar and when I purchased my C-7 the salesman took about an hour explaining OnStar.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:19 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I have had my share of GM vehicles and have never used OnStar. I guess my service writer gets credit for "signing me up" for "free" 3 months. She warned me not to give a credit card number. My gripe is I don't want ANYONE monitoring my driving behavior, not even my wife. State Farm offered me a 5% discount to have some app that monitors my driving behavior. The discount applies if I drive like an old lady. Hell no. I drive a Vette, not a Prius.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 AM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
I have had my share of GM vehicles and have never used OnStar. I guess my service writer gets credit for "signing me up" for "free" 3 months. She warned me not to give a credit card number. My gripe is I don't want ANYONE monitoring my driving behavior, not even my wife. State Farm offered me a 5% discount to have some app that monitors my driving behavior. The discount applies if I drive like an old lady. Hell no. I drive a Vette, not a Prius.
New thing for insurance companies, and they are sure as hell not doing it for you!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:12 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I've had to demand they turn off the 3 free months. They fight it every time. It's the thing I like least about GM.

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar BS

Quick Reply: Onstar BS