Serious Question on Vette purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Serious Question on Vette purchase

Hey folks,
This is the situation. I found a new Vette for sale in another State while looking at Autotrader. The issue is, it is damn close to what I would special order. That was my plan, special order exactly what I want and have Museum Delivery.
The only 2 differences I would do differently are I would like the cf dash, no big deal. But I wanted an automatic, this car is an M7.
My past 3 Vettes have been M6's so I like and enjoy driving a manual. However, with Atlanta traffic, and getting older, I thought the auto was the better choice.
It's a GS with a window sticker of 85k and they have it listed for 10k off 75k. I told them that if they gave me a screaming hot deal, I might consider it. The salesman said he would see what he could do, and get back to me.
Seriously, what do I do?.. .and what would a screaming hot deal look like?......I'd also be giving up museum delivery, which I wanted to do. But I'd save 1k on that....plus the savings on it being an m7....plus the possibility that the new plant produces better paint etc....
Other than that the Vette is exactly what I want. If I were to special order would I get as good a deal?
What's the number I can't walk away from?
Thanks Gonzo

Last edited by Gonzo; 09-05-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd go for getting exactly what you want, especially the Museum Delivery option. (Which I did, can't wait for the phone call.) I went through MacMulkin, (ask for Jessy) and got 11% off on my order, and he also said if there are any other factory incentives in-play at the time of my delivery, I'd get those incentives too. For me at least, I only can afford to do this one time, so I wanted to get exactly what I wanted, and to get the rock-star treatment at the Museum with the car delivery.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue666's:
Gonzo (09-05-2017), speedlink (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

the deal he has on the table is already around 12%. How much more would it take for you to pull the trigger? have you checked with MIke at Criswell to see if he has what you're looking for? (*possibly better deal)

btw - I was in the same boat as you, all of my Vettes have been manuals, and i just swtiched to an auto in my '17 GS. have you driven the auto? My gut says you'll miss the manual (i am).
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:07 AM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Wait and get exactly what you want!
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:29 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm going with get exactly what you want. You'll hurt your leg trying to kick yourself in the *** if you don't.
The following 2 users liked this post by vbdenny:
Carvin (09-08-2017), Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

The Museum has a plan that's called the Museum Experience. You take delivery of your car and later bring it to the museum where they prep it like new and you got through the whole museum experience. Don't know if you could purchase this option on a car bought off the lot, I would think they might have an alternative process for handling your situation, but then that's how it would be in my world.

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit...ams/xperience/

Corvette owners have the opportunity to participate in the “NCM Experience” – a program that offers owners a unique experience with their Corvette at the National Corvette Museum. Corvette owners can schedule a special visit to the Museum, where their Corvette receives an exterior cleaning and is then displayed on the floor of the Museum delivery area, similar to the highly requested R8C Program.

Guests are given a VIP Museum tour as part of the program, and are also given a one-year individual membership to the Museum, commemorative wall plaque, silver decal recognizing participation in the program, and an individual photograph in front of the Museum – weather permitting. Experiences can also be viewed world-wide via our live

Last edited by mjdart; 09-05-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Thank you all for the repies.....should I post the link so you can see the car?

On the auto vs manual.... I have to think about a8 issues and fun factor.....plus will the new paint plant make a better finish?

Last edited by Gonzo; 09-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Thank you all for the repies.....should I post the link so you can see the car?

On the auto vs manual.... I have to think about a8 issues and fun factor.....plus will the new paint plant make a better finish?
Mike F. posted a pic of new panels painted in the new paint shop over the weekend, and he said that the orange peel has been reduced by ~80%.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder22:
Frosty (09-05-2017), Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

All good points, what is the highest % discount anyone has received?

QUOTE=Thunder22;1595509154]the deal he has on the table is already around 12%. How much more would it take for you to pull the trigger? have you checked with MIke at Criswell to see if he has what you're looking for? (*possibly better deal)

btw - I was in the same boat as you, all of my Vettes have been manuals, and i just swtiched to an auto in my '17 GS. have you driven the auto? My gut says you'll miss the manual (i am).[/QUOTE]
Old 09-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

I would love to talk to Mike, as soon as I have a minute I will call him.....
Old 09-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You may find that if you order a car through a forum dealer that you get a good discount as well and maybe that 12% discount isn't all that great when compared to what you can get on an ordered car. The big thing is waiting for the car as it will take longer to get than normal since the plant is shut down to do a manufacturing line change over.

Bill
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,690 Likes on 5,591 Posts

All good points, what is the highest % discount anyone has received?
Unfortunately it's not a firm #:

Typically, discounts seem to have been running from 10%>15% on remaining 2017s.

Some items that can effect what % discount you can expect:

Overall desirability of a particular C7. You could probably expect more discount on a yellow with red interior than a more desirable color.

Model desired.

How long dealer has had C7 in inventory.

Time of month of purchase as dealer may be more inclined to offer higher discount towards the end of the month if not meeting his monthly sales quota.
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

The transmission issue is a big deal for me.

I will never get an auto as long as I can get a manual - however, in my DD I recently chose an auto because traffic does suck. If I lived in D.C. or Chicago or Atlanta or LA, I'd probably have to go with the slush box as well, although the reported issues with the A8 does give one pause. But that's another thread...

Is this your grail car? If so, get exactly what you want. If it's just another car in a long line of cars, then it's no big deal to miss out on some silly cosmetic option.
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:24 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
The transmission issue is a big deal for me.

I will never get an auto as long as I can get a manual - however, in my DD I recently chose an auto because traffic does suck. If I lived in D.C. or Chicago or Atlanta or LA, I'd probably have to go with the slush box as well, although the reported issues with the A8 does give one pause. But that's another thread...

Is this your grail car? If so, get exactly what you want. If it's just another car in a long line of cars, then it's no big deal to miss out on some silly cosmetic option.
I would recommend the M7. I special ordered by Stingray just to get the manual transmission... It seems the dealer never orders anything but automatics for inventory.
The following 2 users liked this post by TEXHAWK0:
Gonzo (09-05-2017), ptran00 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:50 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I went through the same sort of thing. I found a car that was very close to what I wanted locally for what became over 20% off MSRP with one of those GM Red Tag sales last December at a local dealer. It had ALMOST everything I wanted, but not quite, and it had an ugly Kalahari colored top. I really wanted Museum Delivery as well. I wound up ordering a car at 12% off MSRP and took Museum Delivery. Yes, it cost me over $5K to do it that way. I realize some people would have voted differently But I got the exact car I wanted and Museum Delivery was a once-in-a-lifetime awesome experience. I have always "looked for deals" and made the "frugal" decisions in my life and I have to tell you: It felt very good to say screw the money. I want what I want and just do it for a change. C'mon, no one NEEDS a Corvette, and if you have enough money to buy one, you don't really need to worry about $5K either. Get what you want. There is no need to compromise.
The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Carvin (09-08-2017), Gonzo (09-05-2017), ptran00 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Wait for an A8. This is my first A8, all others have been manuals. I like it and I'm glad I did it for some of the reasons you cite (stop and go traffic is a big one).

No point spending that kind of money and "settling". Get what you want.
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 01:07 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

When I ordered my 2017 Z06 I received 12% discount from dealer and $7K in rebates from GM and $546 from by GM card (Capital One).
Gonzo (09-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Serious Question on Vette purchase

Old 09-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Update !! Just found out it is an automatic and was built a year ago on 9/15......I don't know much else yet but I got the VIN and will carfax it when I get home. NOW WHAT ? Why would it he there a year???
Old 09-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Update !! Just found out it is an automatic and was built a year ago on 9/15......I don't know much else yet but I got the VIN and will carfax it when I get home. NOW WHAT ? Why would it he there a year???
what's the mileage ? do they sell a lot of vettes? was it overpriced? damaged? "dealer markup" scared people away? Demo car?

if it's a year old, i would expect more than 12% as it already has a year of depreciation on it and you haven't even driven it.
Gonzo (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Do you mean 9/16 Vs 9/15? 9/15 was two years ago. There are many reasons why a car may sit for a year and the dealer may not have been willing to deal up until now. My 2015 was built in June of 2015 and delivered to a dealer in Upstate NY after a couple of months it was dealer traded to a dealer in Raleigh, NC where I purchased on 11/30/15. It basically sat around for 5 months.

Make sure you really know the pricing. Also find out if the car is still on its MSO, how many miles on the odometer and what the In Service Date is (if any). A dealer owner can use a car as a personal car for a few months and the car will still be on its MSO because it wasn't titled while it had dealer plates on it. However, GM requires all such cars to be put In Service as soon as they are used that way. The In Service Date sets the start date for the factory warranty so also sets the end date for the warranty.

If the car is on eBay they may have it in an auction although that doesn't preclude them selling it directly to a buyer before the auction is over.

Bill

Quick Reply: Serious Question on Vette purchase