Sponsored by:

Need help pricing 2014 convert Lingenfelter 650hp

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 PM
bdbank
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help pricing 2014 convert Lingenfelter 650hp

This forum has been an enormous help so far helping me sell a couple cars from a small collection of corvettes i bought from an estate. The car in question here is a 2014 c-7 convertible, laguna blue/black, manual trans, 3LT , alum wheels . silver racing stripe, competition sport seats, performance exhaust, red calipers, sticker $73,000.. At mile 184 the car was sent to Lingenfelter for their 417ci 650 hp package($18,000) and the best thing is that the car now has only 1100 total miles. Garaged and never raced or abused . Its torture for me looking at it and my 67 big block roadster, also blue, and torn between keeping either the new or the old. But if i sell the 2014 i am really in the dark about price. I realize some dont like non stock upgrades, but his is Lingenfelter after all, and the miles are ridiculously low. At least $92k investeed. Can you please help me price this so i can find a happy home for this car. Brad
Old 09-06-2017, 03:57 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Unless you find just the right buyer I think you would be lucky to get more than $55-60K from a private buyer. A dealer might offer you $50K or so. KBB has the private sale price of your car without the Ligenfelter mods at around $51K private party. KBB private party sale price tends to be on the high side vs reality. But it depends on local market and a lot of other factors.

The Ligenfelter mod may turn people off and you will likely never see that $18K you put into it. If you could get even $60K I would be surprised.

But who knows. You may find just the right buyer and could shoot for more.

Last edited by thill444; 09-06-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by bdbank
This forum has been an enormous help so far helping me sell a couple cars from a small collection of corvettes i bought from an estate. The car in question here is a 2014 c-7 convertible, laguna blue/black, manual trans, 3LT , alum wheels . silver racing stripe, competition sport seats, performance exhaust, red calipers, sticker $73,000.. At mile 184 the car was sent to Lingenfelter for their 417ci 650 hp package($18,000) and the best thing is that the car now has only 1100 total miles. Garaged and never raced or abused . Its torture for me looking at it and my 67 big block roadster, also blue, and torn between keeping either the new or the old. But if i sell the 2014 i am really in the dark about price. I realize some dont like non stock upgrades, but his is Lingenfelter after all, and the miles are ridiculously low. At least $92k investeed. Can you please help me price this so i can find a happy home for this car. Brad
If I had a stock 67 big block and the 2014 Lingenfelter C7, I'd have no problem putting the for sale sign on the C7. If the 67 is stock, it will only appreciate in value as that is one of the most desirable Corvettes ever. Hard to tell what will happen with the Lingenfelter, but I'd guess it will depreciate big time, especially once the ZR1 is announced.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

I agree with thill444's asessment, that you'd be lucky to get more than 55,000, MAYBE up to 60,000. Figure that car without the LPE 417 engine ( which is a nice piece), should be worth about 48,000. Typically you don't get much for power upgrades when selling, but since that is a forged bottom end stroker motor from a top shop, you might get a third of the 18,000 or a little more, bringing you up to 55/57 thousand range.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 PM
bdbank
Advanced

thanks for the comments , keep them coming. I dont have ridiculous expectations, i would be happy if it was mid fifties to sixty. I just thought the mileage, at 1100 is so low it might be really attractive. If i can figure it out i will post photos.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 AM
bdbank
Advanced

Default pics for this car

This forum has been an enormous help so far helping me sell a couple cars from a small collection of corvettes i bought from an estate. The car in question here is a 2014 c-7 convertible, laguna blue/black, manual trans, 3LT , alum wheels . silver racing stripe, competition sport seats, performance exhaust, red calipers, sticker $78,000.. At mile 184 the car was sent to Lingenfelter for their 417ci 650 hp package($18,000) and the best thing is that the car now has only 1100 total miles. Garaged and never raced or abused . Its torture for me looking at it and my 67 big block roadster, also blue, and torn between keeping either the new or the old. But if i sell the 2014 i am really in the dark about price. I realize some dont like non stock upgrades, but his is Lingenfelter after all, and the miles are ridiculously low. At least $96k investeed. Can you please help me price this so i can find a happy home for this car. Brad
some pics i added
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

some pics i added

FWIW, from the pictures and the sticker picture of your car, it doesn't have the competition seats, which is probably a good thing, as probably more buyers would prefer the standard seat as many find those seats more comfortable for longer drives than the competition seats.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:06 PM
bdbank
Advanced

Default oops i guess i read the dealer sheet wrong

Originally Posted by musclecar6
FWIW, from the pictures and the sticker picture of your car, it doesn't have the competition seats, which is probably a good thing, as probably more buyers would prefer the standard seat as many find those seats more comfortable for longer drives than the competition seats.
i guess i read the dealer hand out incorrectly then. thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:58 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

i guess i read the dealer hand out incorrectly then. thanks for the heads up.

Have you thought about trying ebay? Just put your reserve on it to protect yourself. Can't hurt to try it.

IMO, you'll always regret getting rid of the 67 roadster if you go that route. Don't do it.

Last edited by OntarioOrangeC3; 09-07-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM
bdbank
Advanced

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
Have you thought about trying ebay? Just put your reserve on it to protect yourself. Can't hurt to try it.

IMO, you'll always regret getting rid of the 67 roadster if you go that route. Don't do it.
thanks its killing me looking at the two cars, wish i could keep both. thanks for info. i sold the z06 on ebay and it was a very nice transaction and price was fair. Still think corvette forum has the most knowledgeble and fair customers so i will probably try here first. I think asking 59 may be the number. will be disappointed if it doesnt get 54.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:07 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Default mods are lunch

You eat most extreme hp mods when you sell a car. First, who 'needs' 650 hp when stock is already way over the top. Second, used car buyers are price conscious from the git go. Or they'd buy a new car. So the hot rod is compared to the non upgrade. And you can't see the difference. Or use it. The engine mod would keep me away. It makes it more a beast and less a daily driver. But forget the cost and its evil ways, I refuse to believe a performance car was not driven like a super performance car by someone along the way. 1100 miles is a lot of quarter miles.

We put a fair amount of cash into HRE wheels. Vanity exterior looks are our E ticket. When the time comes, I'd expect to get maybe half. Maybe? But they are an aesthetic upgrade a buyer can see. Their neighbors too. If not, I might buy some take off OEM's and keep the HRE's for the eBay market as a side deal. Of course, you can't do that with the tuner engine. Dunno, but I'd realistic about my taste and yours being very different. I think you have a nice super low mile used C7 convertible and you'll get that kind of money.

Last edited by papillion; 09-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Sorry to say but -- If the lingenfelter engine doesn't carry a *transferrable* powertrain warranty, I think your car will likely be worth *less* than a comparable stock C7 vert.

A stock 2014 with only 1100 miles would still have a considerable amount of factory powertrain warranty remaining, which is a huge factor for many buyers. Yours doesn't have *any* factory powertrain warranty at this point -- that went out the window when the engine was modded.

But perhaps as has been stated, you can find that rare buyer that wants that modded engine in a 4 year old vert, and is willing to both give up factory warranty *and* pay a premium. I think its a longshot, but its possible.

Last edited by Kent1999; 09-07-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: corrected mileage -- thanks thill444
Old 09-07-2017, 03:35 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Sorry to say but -- If the lingenfelter engine doesn't carry a *transferrable* powertrain warranty, I think your car will likely be worth *less* than a comparable stock C7 vert.

A stock 2014 with only 11k miles would still have a considerable amount of factory powertrain warranty remaining, which is a huge factor for many buyers. Yours doesn't have *any* factory powertrain warranty at this point -- that went out the window when the engine was modded.

But perhaps as has been stated, you can find that rare buyer that wants that modded engine in a 4 year old vert, and is willing to both give up factory warranty *and* pay a premium. I think its a longshot, but its possible.
It looks like his car has 1100 miles not 11K. And good point on the warranty being transferrable (Ligenfelter claims a 3yr/36K mile warranty). Based on the time alone the 3 year portion alone the warranty is likely already over?

And your right this could hurt resale, but it if he is patient he might find the right buyer. Would be interested in what a dealer offers.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:37 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I would be interested but Im guessing its not smog (CARB) legal in Cal?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thill444
It looks like his car has 1100 miles not 11K. And good point on the warranty being transferrable (Ligenfelter claims a 3yr/36K mile warranty). Based on the time alone the 3 year portion alone the warranty is likely already over?

And your right this could hurt resale, but it if he is patient he might find the right buyer. Would be interested in what a dealer offers.
Oops... thanks for that catch. Corrected mileage in my original post.

Yes, likely the Lingenfelter warranty is up, even if it was transferrable.

However, the factory 5/60k powertrain warranty would STILL be in force IF the engine had not been modded -- that's the tough part. Most other 2014's that buyers look at will still have that warranty in place.

And of course for the OP, the question isn't "is it a nice car?". Clearly, it is a beautiful car.

I think the question was "will it sell for more $ than other similar 2014 verts?"

Given the modifications and the time of year, I would guess the answer is 'no, and maybe even a little less'.

Last edited by Kent1999; 09-07-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 PM
bdbank
Advanced

Default 2014 price help

Originally Posted by Kent1999

A stock 2014 with only 1100 miles would still have a considerable amount of factory powertrain warranty remaining, which is a huge factor for many buyers. Yours doesn't have *any* factory powertrain warranty at this point -- that went out the window when the engine was modded.

Again thanks for the feedback/opinions. I am 100% certain this car was babied both before after the upgrades, and its 1100 miles not 11000 miles. I put this up for opinions precisely for the reasons and criticisms you have mentioned and value your comments. I will look into warranty issues, the Lingenfelter company gave the car an extended warranty and i think other warranties can be purchased. The local chevy dealer just did the anual three hundred mile servicing which included a recall issue with 2014 for free, changed the gas and the oil which is what the dying owner requested every year.
I sold two of his other cars, both lingenfelter upgrades and the z06 corvette buyer specifically wanted the lingenfelter package so that was a positive experience. The other lingenfelter was a Camaro with low miles and the buyer there wanted a hot rod. so it appears there is a restricted market for these cars , but an enthusiastic one. Again if the 2014 had significant miles i would be worried, but its amazing how many new corvette buyers immediately go out and get more horse power be it exhaust, tires, air intake or extensive mods. My 67 427 is stock except a tremac 5 sp, and an ipod adapter , music and highway driveablillity, i could not stand the stock trans reving sidepipe at 65mph. Sometimes upgrades actually make our cars better.
so thanks for all comments, including those who dont like modifications. Information and perspective is always helpful. I hope that someday callaway and lingenfelter will be the yenko, baldwin motion and Nickey of the 60s. Brad
Old 09-07-2017, 05:03 PM
bdbank
Advanced

Again thanks for the feedback/opinions. I am 100% certain this car was babied both before after the upgrades, and its 1100 miles not 11000 miles. I put this up for opinions precisely for the reasons and criticisms you have mentioned and value your comments. I will look into warranty issues, the Lingenfelter company gave the car an extended warranty and i think other warranties can be purchased. The local chevy dealer just did the anual three hundred mile servicing which included a recall issue with 2014 for free, changed the gas and the oil which is what the dying owner requested every year.
I sold two of his other cars, both lingenfelter upgrades and the z06 corvette buyer specifically wanted the lingenfelter package so that was a positive experience. The other lingenfelter was a Camaro with low miles and the buyer there wanted a hot rod. so it appears there is a restricted market for these cars , but an enthusiastic one. Again if the 2014 had significant miles i would be worried, but its amazing how many new corvette buyers immediately go out and get more horse power be it exhaust, tires, air intake or extensive mods. My 67 427 is stock except a tremac 5 sp, and an ipod adapter , music and highway driveablillity, i could not stand the stock trans reving sidepipe at 65mph. Sometimes upgrades actually make our cars better.
so thanks for all comments, including those who dont like modifications. Information and perspective is always helpful. I hope that someday callaway and lingenfelter will be the yenko, baldwin motion and Nickey of the 60s. Brad
Great questions about warrantles and the effect on value so i did some research.
The lingenfelter 3 year on this car is not over yet. however it will be. There is a federal law that modifications only void factory warranty if the dealer can demonstrate the modifications caused or could have caused the failure. So most of the car is still covered. I also researched this specific upgrade and there have not been any significant issues , in fact the consensus is that this package is more dependable than factory as long as it is not abused. And the Lingenfelter packages do increase the value of the cars. How much is anyones guess. I am continuing to look into other supplemental warranty availability. thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help pricing 2014 convert Lingenfelter 650hp

Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

I had a 2010 GS coupe with a Lingenfelter forged bottom end Maggie supercharger package that I drove for 5 yrs/23000 miles that ran flawlessly. I had it serviced at City Chevrolet( a Hendricks dealer) in Charlotte, NC and after 4 yrs ownership, they sold me a 4yr warranty ( don't remember the mileage limit, but I think it was 48000 miles) for $ 3000 and I think the deductible was $100 for any dealership visit. They had to inspect the car ( which they waived cause I was already a customer and knew the vehicle was in perfect shape) and then covered the whole car including powertrain. Might be worth checking them out if you're thinking about a warranty. It was transferable as well for I think around $50, which I used to transfer my GS to my brother when I sold it to him.

I recently bought a 2014 C7 Z51/mag ride 3LT A6 coupe with the same Laguna Blue/ Light Gray interior as yours. If yours was a coupe and even though I'm tired of shifting, I'd be tempted to buy it anyway cause I love the color combo and even love the stripes. I think that is a great buy for the right person. I can't say enough good things about Lingenfelter as I also had a 2006 C6 with Maggie supercharger package that I drove for 7 yrs/ 47000 miles that also ran perfectly the whole time.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Looking at the window sticker it is odd that it is not labeled as a Z51. I notice the Z51 Chrome wheels and rear spoiler and see that it has the magnetic ride option which was only available with Z51 back in '14. I just remember that all the Z51 equipped cars stated such on the window sticker.

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 09-07-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Great questions about warrantles and the effect on value so i did some research.
The lingenfelter 3 year on this car is not over yet. however it will be. There is a federal law that modifications only void factory warranty if the dealer can demonstrate the modifications caused or could have caused the failure. So most of the car is still covered. I also researched this specific upgrade and there have not been any significant issues , in fact the consensus is that this package is more dependable than factory as long as it is not abused. And the Lingenfelter packages do increase the value of the cars. How much is anyones guess. I am continuing to look into other supplemental warranty availability. thanks for bringing this to my attention.
There's been a million threads about that... GM can and DOES block powertrain warranties all the time for modded engines without demonstrating *anything*, because their position is that the driveline has been modified, and the changes/additional HP puts stresses on the driveline for which the car was not originally certified. (ask all the guys who had their powertrain warranty blocked for just a tune) Wrong or right, that's GM's default position.

When you experience a powertrain failure, the powertrain warranty is blocked for the above reason, and they deny the claim. The ball is then in YOUR court to fight back, likely ending in litigation if you want to push it that far. Most people don't want to spend the time or financial resources it would take to pursue a case like that against GM's army of attorneys, esp given the fact that the outcome is likely against you.

Again, OP, I'm saying nothing against your car or Lingenfelter at all (I know Lingenfelter does great work)... this is just the unfortunate reality of the whole factory warranty situation as it relates to modded engines. And I'd read any aftermarket warranty fine print very carefully too -- I've never seen one that will cover engines that have been modified beyond factory specs. They could also end up denying any powertrain claim for the exact same reasons GM would have blocked the warranty in the first place.

Last edited by Kent1999; 09-07-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help pricing 2014 convert Lingenfelter 650hp