Sponsored by:

Air dams and wire ties

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Air dams and wire ties

My almost 4 week old Stingray has the center air dam torn about 6 inches on each side. The passenger air dam is torn away from the top mounting plastic about 6 inches on the outside. I know they are "expendable" and not hard or expensive to replace. It's my own drive that did it, until I found the right angle to leave--very wide turnout and very slow on the tires' movement down. I decided to fix it and more importantly protect it to a large degree from further damage. Black wire ties, 2 each holding the center to the inside outers on both sides; one holding the pass side to the outermost screw in the upper mounting. Would take a hell of a drag to damage either further, and they are basically invisible being black. Had no problem on my '13, but did replace the pass outer on my '06. While these seem thicker, their attachment to the plastic mounting is garbage. Can tear away like a sheet of paper from a pad. Anyway, I think this will hold up much better and saving $100 is just gravy. I can't count the number of times wire ties have come in handy over the years.

Last edited by corvetteflier; 09-06-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Quite a few, myself included, just removed them. Three years later and no issues and no scraping on every dip, speed bump and driveway.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Quite a few, myself included, just removed them. Three years later and no issues and no scraping on every dip, speed bump and driveway.
Yeah, that is a good option, and one I'd take if for some chance this doesn't work. The Z51 doesn't even have the middle one, and the outers reduction of drag from the tires is minimal.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
When I ordered my 2018 yesterday I told the salesman to make sure they don't install the air dam when the car arrives at the dealer. I am going to keep it just in case I decide to install it later, but that's highly unlikely.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

The far-right tab on my GS center air dam broke, but I'm not sure how. I haven't had any serious scrapes and the skid bars are unscathed. Rather than replace the part, I used a piece of sheet aluminum and bolted it to the body, and it fits over the broken plastic tab on the air dam. I think this is sturdier than the stock setup, but the other tabs could break in turn. Never had a problem on my 2015, but its center air dam was full-length and a different part. I don't recall how it was fitted to the car body.

Get notified of new replies

To Air dams and wire ties

Quick Reply: Air dams and wire ties