C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 GS with 3 bent wheels. About done with Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 2017 GS with 3 bent wheels. About done with Corvette!

I purchased a new (had 50 miles on it) Grand Sport in May. I noticed a harmonic vibration after I drove it a couple weeks. Being that I live a hour plus from the dealer I finally got it there when the car had about 3000 miles on it (finally had a day off and was able to get it there).

Dealer said nothing wrong with it other than I was driving in Sport mode. I went round and round with them and got nowhere.

Yesterday I took it to another dealer. They inform me the car has 3 bent wheels and one is cracked. No visible damage to wheels from hitting something. I also know for a fact I have not hit anything or bad enough roads to bend wheels, I am sure I would remember something that would bend wheels plus the vibration has been there the whole time I owned it. To be honest it is not teeth shattering just annoying unless you are over 100 MPH then you notice it pretty good.

Dealer number 2 told me they would do nothing and to take it back to the other dealer. I made the call to them and got nowhere. I wont even bring up the whole transmission issue they also say is normal, typical A8 torque converter issues. I argued it with them then just decided to deal with it until it just gives up on life.

I have owned 8 Corvettes and currently own the new GS and a C6 Z06. I am really considering picking the car up tomorrow and taking BOTH to the local Porsche dealer and trading it on a 911. I have had dealer issues with the last 4 new Chevy vehicles I have owned.

The worse thing is the week we bought this car we I convinced 2 friends to buy C7's as well. I have a feeling I will regret doing that.
The following users liked this post:
SilverGhost (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:15 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Did the dealer actually show you the three bent rims and where the
crack is in the rim or did they just tell you. I would want to physically see the damage they are claiming. Maybe you need to have your tires balanced. Just throwing some ideas out.

I would also call GM customer service and tell them your situation. They can help.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c54u
Did the dealer actually show you the three bent rims and where the
crack is in the rim or did they just tell you. I would want to physically see the damage they are claiming. Maybe you need to have your tires balanced. Just throwing some ideas out.

I would also call GM customer service and tell them your situation. They can help.

I have not seen it myself. I do have a friend that I buy tires through said he would hook me up with a place to take it so I can look at it with them to verify. I might do this and then decide where to go from there. Still just don't want to deal with GM warranty again.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:07 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Probably wanna check the alignment. If 3 wheels are damaged, probably a good chance the alignment is borked. Does anyone else drive the car?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I certainly sympathize with your situation, but with 3K miles on the car not many dealers/manufacturers will replace three damaged wheels under warranty. You might want to try GM corporate and show proof of your Corvette loyalty.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

3 bent wheels doesn't sound right, double check it with another dealer
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 AM
woodsguy
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Doesn't seem like wheels would just bend without some impact.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Probably wanna check the alignment. If 3 wheels are damaged, probably a good chance the alignment is borked. Does anyone else drive the car?
He did mention the car had 50 miles on it when he bought it. I have made the same mistake with two Corvettes. Both of which I discovered had hidden wheel damage. It only takes a few dorks taking test drives or lunch runs from the dealership to damage wheels or alignment.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Sorry for your problems. But I'd ask to have the District GM Service Rep look at the car! I'll explain:

FWIW, I get Courtesy Delivery on my GS. Why worry about which dealer you bring it back too? I bring mine back to the local dealer. They are happy to handle service, they make more on service than selling cars and the service manager and scheduler could care less if some salesman in their showroom got a commission.

Just brought my Grand Sport to the local large Chevy, BMW, Mercedes Dealer to have the camber adjusted (not the Courtesy Deliver dealer who is 30 mile away.) They spent ~45 minutes adjusting 4 wheels to the low end of the camber spec. All 4 were within the high end (about 1 more degree negative camber) of the broad GM spec. No charge, they got paid by GM. The Chevy service scheduler was very helpful, gave my typed sheet of what I wanted to the mechanic) and didn't care where I bought the car, just concerned that they got a good report when I got a call from GM! His bonus is based on that service satisfaction report.

Past Experience with this large local Dealer:
On my C6, purchased some 600 miles away, the local dealer Service Manager helped me get an $800 refund from GM! After a year, I had a leak in my AC Condenser. Service Manager said GM won't pay as it was caused by something hitting it, like a rock. I was cruising in town when all the gas came out- a rock was not the cause, IMO. Paid to have it replaced.

Took the old Condenser home and found it was bent right where the crack was. Took a pic of the bent Condenser, could see with my 10X magnifier the crack occurred from the inside and if GM wanted they could take it to their Lab etc. The Service Manager said he would review with their GM rep when he visits. I was issued a complete refund.

Had a similar thing happen with a 260Z when it was just out of warrenty for a much high cost item.

Recall doing that years before with my new Corvair. When ~6 months old the cast iron clutch plate cracked. That Service Manager said GM won't pay for a clutch but agreed the clutch plate, the clutch disk and flywheel did not look abused at all. He said if you'll leave the car, I'll keep it disassembled and when the District Service Rep comes, will show it to him. He did, clutch replaced on GM's dime! IMO it was a defect in the cast iron and the GM Rep must have agreed!

As I said, FWIW, especially if a dealer observed a cracked wheel, something sounds funny! Have a local dealer call you when the District Service Rep will visit and bring the car over. In my case that would be with the closest Chevy dealer-it is probably the same rep anyway as the selling dealer anyway!

Just my $0.02

Last edited by JerryU; 09-07-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
If I keep it this is probably a good idea. There is 1 other person that drives the car however every time they have drove it I have been in the car. This is the part that aggravates me the most. I know how the car has been treated the whole time I have had it and I know it has not hit anything close to be able to bend a wheel let alone 3.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:36 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thill444
I certainly sympathize with your situation, but with 3K miles on the car not many dealers/manufacturers will replace three damaged wheels under warranty. You might want to try GM corporate and show proof of your Corvette loyalty.
Your right, the fact that I waited 3000 miles to get it to the dealer seems to be their issue. The problem is I work long hours then I have taken in my mother that is battling lung cancer so I have to be home as much as possible. Getting a free day during business hours to take it to the dealer is just hard to come by.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:40 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by woodsguy
Doesn't seem like wheels would just bend without some impact.
I would agree! I am at a loss how this would happen other than it was beat on before I purchased it at the dealer and they hit something hard. I can tell you if I had hit something to bend 3 wheels I am sure I would remember and I would own up to it. Had I hit something that hard I probably would have had it checked out for that reason.
woodsguy (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

call GM corp customer service in the gm corporate renaissance center,detroit,mi, 313-556-5000
Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

You might want to validate the problem with a good independent tire shop. Be sure it is in fact the rims. Very bizarre to have 3 bent rims.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Guys with Z06s are bending wheels on and off track. Many are going to a forged aftermarket wheel.

Something to consider, OP. The car is fine. The wheels are weak.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

OP...I agree with you on the "issues" being an...issue, but I have to question the rationale of going to a Porsche dealer.

Buy a set of forged aftermarket wheels and save yourself thousands from the ownership and required maintenance of a 911. If the real issue comes down to wheels, buy wheels and be done with it. Trading in two Corvettes for the Porsche seems like a bad impulse based upon some rims...just sayin.
pdiddy972 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
I purchased a new (had 50 miles on it) Grand Sport in May. I noticed a harmonic vibration after I drove it a couple weeks. Being that I live a hour plus from the dealer I finally got it there when the car had about 3000 miles on it (finally had a day off and was able to get it there).

Dealer said nothing wrong with it other than I was driving in Sport mode. I went round and round with them and got nowhere.

Yesterday I took it to another dealer. They inform me the car has 3 bent wheels and one is cracked. No visible damage to wheels from hitting something. I also know for a fact I have not hit anything or bad enough roads to bend wheels, I am sure I would remember something that would bend wheels plus the vibration has been there the whole time I owned it. To be honest it is not teeth shattering just annoying unless you are over 100 MPH then you notice it pretty good.

Dealer number 2 told me they would do nothing and to take it back to the other dealer. I made the call to them and got nowhere. I wont even bring up the whole transmission issue they also say is normal, typical A8 torque converter issues. I argued it with them then just decided to deal with it until it just gives up on life.

I have owned 8 Corvettes and currently own the new GS and a C6 Z06. I am really considering picking the car up tomorrow and taking BOTH to the local Porsche dealer and trading it on a 911. I have had dealer issues with the last 4 new Chevy vehicles I have owned.

The worse thing is the week we bought this car we I convinced 2 friends to buy C7's as well. I have a feeling I will regret doing that.
I bet you wont trade them both in on a 911.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 GS with 3 bent wheels. About done with Corvette!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
Getting a free day during business hours to take it to the dealer is just hard to come by.
Sometimes it's nearly impossible. I've had good luck getting my retired friends to do things like that for me. They enjoy driving a sports car, I don't have to hassle with it.

Sure, you may have to pay them a little something, but that's why you are still working!

Anyway, the Porsche 911 is a great car, I've had several of them. But don't think that they're problem-free either. Sure, the service department treats you better, has nice loaners, but far too often when you report an issue, especially something dealing with driveability, you get the "they all do that" response.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
OP...I agree with you on the "issues" being an...issue, but I have to question the rationale of going to a Porsche dealer.

Buy a set of forged aftermarket wheels and save yourself thousands from the ownership and required maintenance of a 911. If the real issue comes down to wheels, buy wheels and be done with it. Trading in two Corvettes for the Porsche seems like a bad impulse based upon some rims...just sayin.
The wheels are just icing on the cake when it comes to dealing with GM dealers and warranty issues.

I have purchased multiple new GM vehicles over the last 5 years (Tahoe, 2 trucks, Cadillac, Camaro SS, 2 Corvettes) and on multiple occasions I have had to deal with issues under warranty. Every time it seems to be a pain in the ***. Getting them to diagnose and fix problems takes multiple trips to the dealer, they want to argue repairs. I have always purchased GM vehicles as has my family and my father owns 3 Corvettes and 2 new GM daily drivers. I am just done with the drama.

I have a couple friends with "P" cars and they have 0 issues with the dealer or warranty claims. One broke the motor on the track and had the car towed to the dealer and they fixed it no questions asked. Don't get me wrong I love this C7 however I am just over GM and their worthless dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by SCCA VETTE:
astaggs (09-07-2017), djnice (09-12-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
I bet you wont trade them both in on a 911.
Trade or sell either way. The C6Z does not get much use anymore anyways so no need to keep it. I can unload both and buy a top end P car.
73firebird (09-09-2017)

Quick Reply: 2017 GS with 3 bent wheels. About done with Corvette!