C7 Wide Body Conversion Cost Estimate by Chevy Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:26 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
Default C7 Wide Body Conversion Cost Estimate by Chevy Dealership

There has been quite of few talented Forum Members who have converted their C7 Stingray into the Wide Body Z06/GS using their own Gifts and Talents to perform the body work. However, everyone is blessed with different gifts and talents and therefore the task of a DIY conversion is not an option for some.

Secondly, the questions being asked is how much would it cost if you paid a shop to do it. As a result, I had a few minutes on my hand and stopped in the local Chevy Dealer body shop to get an estimate of what they would charge. I explained that I would provide all the needed conversion parts!

Thirdly, since people are starting to take this project on, I am asking that you list your parts cost, labor cost, paint cost, new wheel/tire cost and if you used a local shop and what city and state as it would be helpful and nice to have in one thread.

NOTE: If you are willing to assist someone with a DIY, please note that and the city/state that you live.

So below you will find the quote from the Chevy Dealer Body Shop located in Southeastern Michigan so that you have some type of official baseline estimation. I am not a body shop expert so I am not able to answer any questions related to the estimate other than what I told the body shop person what I wanted and assume it was captured appropriately.

********Also, please no commentary of just buy or trade in, this is for those who don't want to do that and would like to consider this as a project!************

Last edited by KGrant; 09-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:44 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Just trade it on a GS. haha
Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Considering that's just labor, it only makes sense it do do yourself, and most of that value comes from the personal satisfaction of the DIY. If I recall correctly, parts will be about double the above quoted labor costs, with wheels and tires almost $3K alone. You can buy a GS for about $5K more than a comparably equipped Z51.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Considering that's just labor, it only makes sense it do do yourself, and most of that value comes from the personal satisfaction of the DIY. If I recall correctly, parts will be about double the above quoted labor costs, with wheels and tires almost $3K alone. You can buy a GS for about $5K more than a comparably equipped Z51.
Wish I had just felt off for one more year & got a GS 3LT. If you look at cost of new wheels & tires then all the parts new then this labor for all of that cost will be looking at 15,k with no problem.

I paid almost this price that he is showing for labor in all my NEW parts. All the labor was per say mine then my cost to have all new parts painted.. Robert
Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

This is definitely a DIY project BUT for those who have invested a bit (parts and labor) into a Z51/base car that makes sense to convert, as trading in would gain the widebody, but lose the modifications and investment. So, I do think it makes SOME sense to define the cost.

Imagine you bought your Z51, paid a local shop and now you have 20k-30k in engine mods, etc, another 15k to widebody might be feasible to that person. There are guys with 100k in a C5...some people have more money than time, and vise versa.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I agree with your point of defining the cost! In my mind, I owe less than 30k on my 78k sticker 2014 Z51 2LT. I ask myself, why would I take the immediate 20% depreciation of a new car as soon as you drive off the lot and pay another $6000 in new car sales tax and then have to do the mod updates to personalize.

So everyone's situation is different and people make the personal choices that makes sense for them and no one else should judge or compare what someone might do. Everyone's decision is theirs and no one else's is the bottom line and just enjoy your car and your decision.

If you can do the work yourself and want the wide body then it's a no brainer and worth it. I have gotten a lot of pleasure of doing my own mods and if I could get someone to cut out the aperture rocker and put new one in and set the door I could do everything else. I would even consider flying someone to Michigan to do the aperture removal/replace part as it scares me but perhaps I'll get the courage to attempt but just not there yet. LOL

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
This is definitely a DIY project BUT for those who have invested a bit (parts and labor) into a Z51/base car that makes sense to convert, as trading in would gain the widebody, but lose the modifications and investment. So, I do think it makes SOME sense to define the cost.

Imagine you bought your Z51, paid a local shop and now you have 20k-30k in engine mods, etc, another 15k to widebody might be feasible to that person. There are guys with 100k in a C5...some people have more money than time, and vise versa.

Last edited by KGrant; 09-12-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Out of curiosity, what are these cars worth after the conversion?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 PM
ASTROCREEP
Drifting

Received 343 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Out of curiosity, what are these cars worth after the conversion?
If you're asking a guy like me who is looking at buying a C7 soon. I have zero interest for a car that's been modified. If said car had upgraded parts for wear items i.e. clutch, brakes, tires and especially for the C7 wheels, that would be ok with me.

Anyway what would you call it? A GS tribute/Clone?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

I could do my own but prefer not to - that quote looks right on I told body shop I would do 5,000$ but not much more

There work is top notch and my Buddy's body shop is just not setup for a job like this

They have a baking paint booth and are going to paint every part part off the car - I am changing every body panel that needs to look like a Z06 - if your going to do it do it right - only thing I was thinking twice about was the hood but said no its not the same and to much blending also - only thing thats not going to be painted is the solid roof and panel around glass - if that does not match we will blend it after but should be pretty close

I will have a real blade silver base coat laid down - GM has some serious issues with blotchy lay down of silver metallic and not just on vettes

Shop labor and parts including stage 3 Z07 - 3 stage rear wing - side skirts - 3 stage front splitter will be about 10,000$ but keep in mind - after selling my parts deduct about 3,500$ - works for me and a lot cheaper than a GS and of course a Z06

Last edited by rsvette12; 09-12-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it but with most mods you won't get 1:1 or dollar to dollar in ROI or return on investment. My mods are for me to enjoy and if you are modding to get a return on investment you will be very disappointed regardless of the type of car.

There are different types of mods that would add value compared to a standard. For example, with all things being equal, I would purchase a C7 that has Z06 grill, side skirts, splitter, nicer spoiler over one that was just base with no upgrades. However, mechanical mods such as super/pro chargers I would pass on as I don't want potential problems due to faulty installation or such. I would purchase a car that was converted to competition seats vs one that didn't. I would purchase one that replaced the stock wheels to z06 style wheels etc etc etc...

To each his own and enjoy whatever your choices and personal preferences are. Cheers.

Last edited by KGrant; 09-12-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

Theirs a shop in West Palm Beach Fl. On military trail across from the airport. Their labor is $1,500 - $2,000. For wide body conversion. Then I pay for the paint job at the shop next door, probably $2,000 -$3,000. Then your looking at $6,500 in parts counting rims and tires included. You can save on expense by using wheel adaptors ( spacers ) and use your current z51 rims and tires. I just bough my car last week. I will do the conversion labor myself. Then pay for paint job.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

As a Rule touching a vette and even just adding an after market stereo is a no no - they dont care how much you paid to have it put in to each his own as stated

As for my decision to do this is I owned 10 vettes since I was a kid but cant afford a 3 figure rear engine vette and done with car payments - huge excise taxes - sales tax - large ins payments - so for the money this will serve me well and its my last vette so I wont be selling it so I do not care about re-sale value

Nice to have the Z06 power but my racing days are over - you cant get away with what you could when I was tearing up the roads years ago and cameras around every corner now its just not worth it - mess around now get caught and you insurance will triple - no thanks

I bought Z06 pearl nickels from nice CF member and shopped around for 9 days hard for the best deal on tires - more for the fun of it - got 2 brand new back super sports for 500$ and 2 new super sport fronts for 680$ - wheels were 1,300$ - luv the look of the Nickel Z06 wheels

Make sure you change out those red tail lights please

Last edited by rsvette12; 09-12-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agreed, a wide-body conversion, or any other non-OEM mechanical modification will scare most buyers away, but you only need one buyer who's interested to make the sale. You almost certainly won't get any of the money you've invested in mods back, unless you restore to stock and sell the parts separately.

It will bring no more than any OEM car of comparable age, and possibly less. Doing something like that only makes sense if you plan on keeping a car for a relatively long time.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-12-2017 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:41 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

With all that said if I intended on selling it to get a newer vette - I would not even think about converting it would be a waste of money there wont be many buyers and if there is he will low ball you so imo not recommended

EXACTLY Foosh

Last edited by rsvette12; 09-12-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Kyle, what is the cost of all of the conversion parts?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnp94
Theirs a shop in West Palm Beach Fl. On military trail across from the airport. Their labor is $1,500 - $2,000. For wide body conversion. Then I pay for the paint job at the shop next door, probably $2,000 -$3,000. Then your looking at $6,500 in parts counting rims and tires included. You can save on expense by using wheel adaptors ( spacers ) and use your current z51 rims and tires. I just bough my car last week. I will do the conversion labor myself. Then pay for paint job.
Congrats john! Post some pics when you get a chance! I bet its laguna blue
Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Kyle, what is the cost of all of the conversion parts?
I'm not doing the conversion but doing the research in case I decided to do it. That said, I called weapon-x who sells the full OEM conversion kit for 5k and other threads estimate around the same.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:57 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

If someone wants to put the money and effort into the wide conversion for your own personal benefit or for the project experience, I get that, but I seriously doubt the mod would boost the value of the car. I wouldn't be surprised if the wide mod actually reduced the cars value. Just my .02.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Wide Body Conversion Cost Estimate by Chevy Dealership

Quick Reply: C7 Wide Body Conversion Cost Estimate by Chevy Dealership