Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Excessive Wear Inside Edges of Front Tires

Our first new Corvette was a 2001 Z51. At about 10k miles, I discovered the inner edges of the front tires were worn down to showing cord. The dealer checked and found it was out of alignment in a couple of parameters, including excessive toe-out on both front tires. Because it was beyond the mileage GM will warranty alignment (something like 1k to 7k miles), I got to pay for new front tires and the alignment.
"Fool me once, it's your fault. Fool me twice, it's my fault."

Since then, we have purchased 3 more new Corvettes (2006, 2009, just now a 2017).
Every one of them, at around 2k miles I've gone into the dealer with some deliberately vague complaint about the car wandering or steering wheel being off center. Wink nod. I tell the writer that if the alignment is out of spec, I expect it to be covered under warranty. If it's in spec, I'll pay. Either way, I give them the alignment numbers I want used, which are within the GM specs.

As of today, the score is three free alignments and none requiring payment by me. In every case, the front toe and at least one other parameter have been outside of even the hugely wide GM specs. In every case, the front has had excessive toe-out which will eat the inner tire edges far quicker than negative camber.

If you have a new Corvette that hasn't been checked, you've been warned! Tires are expensive.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
Foosh (09-13-2017), Patman (09-12-2017), Woodson (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

C6 front tire at 19,000 miles with factory alignment.

Quick Reply: Excessive Wear Inside Edges of Front Tires