Email from Mike Furman - Allocations are out

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:16 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Email from Mike Furman - Allocations

UPDATE:

~2018 Corvette Stingray/Z51/Grand Sport and Z06 allocations are starting Thursday Sept 14th. The Corvette Plant will start production Nov 1st, all my sold orders get extra
quality control checked before leaving the factory.

I wonder if my black car will be painted in the new factory. Also, how long will the "extra quality control" take? I'm still hoping to get my car in December.

Last edited by SouthOCBoy; 09-13-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Your car will be painted in the old paint facility. Only white and yellow will be painted in the new paint facility at start-up. It will take many months to get all the colors up and running in the new paint facility.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:55 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by proexpert
Your car will be painted in the old paint facility. Only white and yellow will be painted in the new paint facility at start-up. It will take many months to get all the colors up and running in the new paint facility.
Bummer, that's why I would wait for a 2019 to be sure it was painted in new paint shop and all the bugs were worked out.

Last edited by Pisswilly; 09-13-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
Bummer, that's why I would wait for a 2019 to be sure it was painted in new paint shop and all the bugs were worked out.
What kind of bugs would you expect on these cars? The procedure to build them might be different but it's the same car as before. And the first ones off the line are going to be scrutinized heavily. I don't think we'll see any major teething problems whatsoever with the latest cars coming off the line.
The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

To me, the orange peel had become a given, a non-issue to me. Especially since they all had it. Now, with the anticipation of potentially improved paint job quality from the new paint facility, the excitement builds even more.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:58 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
Originally Posted by Patman
What kind of bugs would you expect on these cars? The procedure to build them might be different but it's the same car as before. And the first ones off the line are going to be scrutinized heavily. I don't think we'll see any major teething problems whatsoever with the latest cars coming off the line.
Let's start with that everyone's job is going to be new, that much of the assembly equipment is new....

While we do not expect bugs, that is exactly why we are looking at a probable 4 week initial quality control hold on Plant grounds -- to insure that there are no problems with customer delivered cars.

Last edited by elegant; 09-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Let's start with that everyone's job is going to be new, that much of the assembly equipment is new....

While we do not expect bugs, that is exactly why we are looking at a probable 4 week initial quality control hold on Plant grounds -- to insure that there are no problems with customer delivered cars.
Judging by some of the 18's that have been delivered before the plant closed, I suspect the ones coming off the plant in November will have much better quality control in terms of paint, panel gaps, etc.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Patman
Race Director

I'm still not scared about my 2018 being one of the first off the line in early November. Keep in mind that I'm currently driving a 2005 Corvette, and an early built one as well, and it has been a great car for me, I have no complaints. I'm going to do the same thing with my C7 that I did with my C6, C5 and C4, and that's drive it a lot of miles and enjoy it. I won't be sitting at a car show going over every nook of the car to look for flaws.

Last edited by Patman; 09-13-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Silver&Blue
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So when are they suppose to be painting every color in the new paint facility? Why would they shut down production then reopen to paint more cars in the old paint facility doesn't make sense they could have just kept the production going.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Silver&Blue
So when are they suppose to be painting every color in the new paint facility? Why would they shut down production then reopen to paint more cars in the old paint facility doesn't make sense they could have just kept the production going.
They didn't just shut down because of the new paint facility though, they've completely revamped the assembly line and the process used to make the cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Email from Mike Furman - Allocations are out

Quick Reply: Email from Mike Furman - Allocations are out