Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 GS finishes 7th in Motor Trends "Best Driver's Car"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:31 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

The list makes for good conversation and that is it.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:48 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1
I'm more surprised it's down 1.8 seconds on C6 Z07. You'd think chassis refinement, better tires, newer gen mag suspension and so forth would bring it close. Must be the extra weight and being down 50hp.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988
Yeah I agree somethings not right. At Milford the GS/Z07 was .6 seconds behind the ZR1's time. It was mentioned previously in another thread by someone who was there that the GS was run in the morning in 50* damp weather, as you can see in the video.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 09-19-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:04 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Couldn't drive that Lexus, that front end reminds me of a whale feeding... I was looking for a new SUV and considered Lexus until they changed the grill.

That's actually a shark.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Carqwik
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't put too much stock in any of the Auto Rags' assessments of vehicles. The entire reason they do comparisons of supercars is to gin up magazine sales, therefore charge advertisers more. The reality is that most folks can't buy any of these cars on this list but it gives readers something to dream about...

IMHO, the GS does exceedingly well in comparison to the rest in many measures, and especially on the price/performance metric.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Couldn't drive that Lexus, that front end reminds me of a whale feeding... I was looking for a new SUV and considered Lexus until they changed the grill.
Yes! First time I saw one I said it looks like it belongs in an aquarium 🤡
Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
How did the Alfa finish ahead of the Corvette? I am surprised it even finished given the stellar reliability of Alfas...
We have a Ti Sport which has a similar suspension setup the Q but obviously without the power.

With the same tire there is no doubt even the 4 cylinder Q could hang with a C7 on a tight track.

The steering is stellar as is the rest of the car.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:43 PM
PITA
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
We have a Ti Sport which has a similar suspension setup the Q but obviously without the power.

With the same tire there is no doubt even the 4 cylinder Q could hang with a C7 on a tight track.

The steering is stellar as is the rest of the car.
The Alfa is a really impressive sedan (esp. for Alfa!) but there's no way a 4 cylinder Giulia even with Q tires would hang with a C7 anywhere with equal drivers - even the 505hp Quadrifoglio was almost 4 seconds slower a lap than the GS in this test.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

^^Yeah hmmmm sure...umm no

GS/Z07 = 22.3 Figure "8", 1.2 G's, 90' 60-0.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 09-19-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm shocked at how meh and negative the comments they all made on it were. When the car came out, everyone talked about how great the car was. I wished it would have been in this last year because I thought it would be a top finisher for sure.

The Camaro SS 1LE got 100% glorious reviews from everyone on the videos and stories wrote about it for the shootout. It got 4th last year only behind the new 911, GT350R, and the McLaren 570S. Better than an ACR, AMG GT S, R8 V10, NSX, GTR, F-Type SVR, V12 Vantage S.

Pretty much the first time I've seen people talk about how underpowered the GS is, that it felt slow (going uphill) and needs another 100 HP.

I'm still very shocked, this is the first negative press I've read about the car as every reviewer has loved the hell out of the car.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

^My thoughts also. See my post #17 in this thread. It makes no sense.
I agree, had they tested it last year it would have been a different story.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM
PITA
Advanced

So the latest shows the final finishing order - Camaro 4th, 911T 3rd, Cayman S 2nd and the 488 1st.

I'm still shocked about the Cayman - just this past December the same guys declared the GS a "better sportscar" vs the new 911 4S, due to both its slightly better lap time and that it was considered more exciting to drive. Is the Cayman more exciting than the 911 with its 4 cylinder engine? As for lap times, in this test the GS crushed the Cayman by 4 seconds. So, is a "sportscar" different than a "drivers car"?

These guys are clowns aiming for ratings.

Next on the docket for these guys will be the same cars in the "world's greatest drag race", tomorrow I think, where the optimally spec'd PDK Cayman will beat the manual shift GS, as will most of the group.
pdiddy972 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 AM
evanft
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
So the latest shows the final finishing order - Camaro 4th, 911T 3rd, Cayman S 2nd and the 488 1st.

I'm still shocked about the Cayman - just this past December the same guys declared the GS a "better sportscar" vs the new 911 4S, due to both its slightly better lap time and that it was considered more exciting to drive. Is the Cayman more exciting than the 911 with its 4 cylinder engine? As for lap times, in this test the GS crushed the Cayman by 4 seconds. So, is a "sportscar" different than a "drivers car"?

Next on the docket for these guys will be the same cars in the "world's greatest drag race", tomorrow I think, where the optimally spec'd PDK Cayman will beat the manual shift GS, as will most of the group.
Yes, a lot of people think the Cayman is a better car than the 911. This is not a controversial opinion.

And driver's car is not just about numbers. It's about chassis tuning, feel, response, sound, etc. It's about everything, not just performance. A lot of people can't seem to process that being a couple seconds faster on a track tells me little about how a car is actually going to feel in their hands.
The following 3 users liked this post by evanft:
4GS7 (09-21-2017), 911Hunter (09-20-2017), Dez’sC7 (01-01-2019)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by evanft
Yes, a lot of people think the Cayman is a better car than the 911. This is not a controversial opinion.

And driver's car is not just about numbers. It's about chassis tuning, feel, response, sound, etc. It's about everything, not just performance. A lot of people can't seem to process that being a couple seconds faster on a track tells me little about how a car is actually going to feel in their hands.
Thats understood, however watch the video I linked in post #17 where they are gushing over the GS. That's why this is not making sense. It's like they are talking about 2 different cars.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 09-20-2017 at 11:28 AM.
pdiddy972 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:41 AM
PITA
Advanced

Originally Posted by evanft

If it's not contrversial to say that a Cayman is a better car than a 911, then why does Porsche still sell ten 911s to every single Cayman sold. It's all the more shocking when one considers the price difference.

And yes it's not just about numbers, hence my comment when they said the GS was the more exciting car to drive than the 911. Isn't a "drivers car" supposed to be fun? I've heard that flat 4... there's nothing duller out there.

Otherwise - feel, response, recovery, feedback, etc. is important (I just sold my RX8 that had that in spades), but it's not as if the GS is lacking in those areas either while posting figures (like its figure 8 times) that was 2nd to none.

Last edited by PITA; 09-20-2017 at 11:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PITA:
911Hunter (09-20-2017), pdiddy972 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

It's a rag when a Corvette finishes down the list, but it's affirmation when it's at or near the top.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Those rags are about the flavor of the week.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

The thing is this is a panel of people who vote for best drivers car. Not one or two guys like the previous comparison to the 911 so you will get lots of variation.

Here is the criteria MT stated they used:
To earn the title of Best Driver’s Car, a vehicle must deliver a balance of usable performance, intuitive handling, and driver-friendly design. The winner should be a vehicle with a multidimensional personality, a car that will delight and reward the enthusiast driver on any road at any time, regardless of weather and traffic conditions.
I can see where a car like a 911 or Cayman would be preferred based on that type of criteria vs a car like a Camaro or Corvette that is more track focused.
pdiddy972 (09-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 GS finishes 7th in Motor Trends "Best Driver's Car"

Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thill444
The thing is this is a panel of people who vote for best drivers car. Not one or two guys like the previous comparison to the 911 so you will get lots of variation.

Here is the criteria MT stated they used:

I can see where a car like a 911 or Cayman would be preferred based on that type of criteria vs a car like a Camaro or Corvette that is more track focused.
That criteria does not explain the ZL1/1LE placing 4th. It is purely one dimensional. Even the Chief Designer said that about it, "not" recommending it as a daily driver. Even a previous test by MT mentioned it's harshness and the unibody being hard-mounted.

As mentioned in this thread it's about the flavor of the week. Personally I can't stand inconsistency.
pdiddy972 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:24 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
That criteria does not explain the ZL1/1LE placing 4th. It is purely one dimensional. Even the Chief Designer said that about it, "not" recommending it as a daily driver. Even a previous test by MT mentioned it's harshness and the unibody being hard-mounted.

As mentioned in this thread it's about the flavor of the week. Personally I can't stand inconsistency.
Yeah, too many chefs in the kitchen for these "panel votes". I usually just skip to Randy Pobst's impressions of the cars.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

The Cayman makes no sense to me. I test drove a Cayman S the same day I test drove a Stingray last year, when I was shopping for my car, which I ended up in a 17 Z51. I thought it had no soul and was just a boring car. I liked the styling a lot, interior was nice, just was boring to drive. Corvette made me feel something, Cayman didn't.

It's all subjective though this one I just don't get.

Quick Reply: C7 GS finishes 7th in Motor Trends "Best Driver's Car"