C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered on stock bolts with cut bushings?

Old 09-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I know quite a few people on here have lowered their C7s by adjusting the stock bolts but how many of you have gone one step further and cut a portion off the bushing in order to drop it even further? It's very popular on the C6 (I have a portion my rear bushings cut off) but hasn't seemed to catch on quite yet with the C7 crowd.

I have a set of lowering bolts that I already bought for my C7 and was planning on going that route when the car arrived, but after spending a bit of time talking to C6 owners who have lowering bolts, pretty much every single one of them recommends not going that route, they are not durable enough for every day use. So my new plan is to go as low as I can while utilizing the stock bolts and having one of the ribs of the stock bushing cut off.

So I was hoping to see some pictures of C7s that have been lowered with the stock bolts and cut bushings so I know approximately how mine is going to look.

For reference, this is my C6 with the front bolts at their lowest setting (but bushing untouched) and the rear is at the lowest setting and has one rib of the bushing removed. I'm not sure the front of the C7 will sit that low just with the bolt at it's lowest setting, I may need to cut that bushing to get this low:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-13-2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 09-19-2017, 04:21 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
For reference, this is my C6 with the front bolts at their lowest setting (but bushing untouched) and the rear is at the lowest setting and has one rib of the bushing removed. I'm not sure the front of the C7 will sit that low just with the bolt at it's lowest setting, I may need to cut that bushing to get this low:
Looks good.
Would leave it.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by FKING1
Looks good.
Would leave it.
I think you might be missing the point of my thread though. What I'd like to see is a C7 that has cut bushings, so I can get an idea of what my C7 with cut bushings will look like. The car in the picture above will be traded in on the C7 when it arrives.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 PM
spiritof67
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I think FKING1 understood your point perfectly. What he was saying, to quote Quentin Tarantino, was "DON'T".
The following users liked this post:
FKING1 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by spiritof67
I think FKING1 understood your point perfectly. What he was saying, to quote Quentin Tarantino, was "DON'T".
That's not an option. I'm not happy with the ride height of the C7 stock.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Most of us think it's a really bad idea, so it doesn't surprise me that you're not getting much of a response.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 204 Posts

Hey, if you want more responses, then I'm in!

Don't do it.

If you don't like the C7, then keep your C6. I wish I'd kept mine... (not because I don't like the C7, but just from the financial perspective).
Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Go for it! My C7 Z06 with Z07, and stage 3 aero scraped the front splitter when lowered all the way on stock bolts. And, it had a substantial rake with the front way lower than the rear. I raised the front just a little and cut one level off the rear bushing. Now it doesn't scrape as much and sits "right".
The following 2 users liked this post by 6Speeder:
CandyRed77 (09-20-2017), Patman (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Foosh
You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Most of us think it's a really bad idea, so it doesn't surprise me that you're not getting much of a response.
I'm really not surprised at the lack of responses, but I had hoped to find at least one or two adventurous people who might have cut the bushings. I guess I get to be the guinea pig

Originally Posted by yeller z06

If you don't like the C7, then keep your C6. I wish I'd kept mine... (not because I don't like the C7, but just from the financial perspective).
Hang on a minute! Who said I didn't like the C7?? I'm the hugest C7 fan, and the complaint about the ride height is the same I've had with every Corvette made since the C4, they all have way too much gap from tire to fender.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

How much do you gain by with cut bushings? I am assuming a half inch?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by joemessman
How much do you gain by with cut bushings? I am assuming a half inch?
That sounds about right, as that's what I noticed on my C6 a couple of months ago when I had that done. So I figure with one rib cut out of the bushing and the bolts set to the lowest position, I could potentially see a total drop of about 1.5 inches. I had originally hoped for a 2 inch drop with the lowering bolts but 1.5 will do it if means I get many years of trouble free driving.
joemessman (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:04 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

I would wait until your car actually comes in so you can see the factory ride height and drive it for a while before you make a decision on what hardware or modifications you are going to use to lower your car. The base suspension on the C7 without mag ride is soft. I have the mag ride suspension and it is soft and bouncy for me in tour mode. Those dips and bumps that are not an issue for your C6 right now may be for the your C7.

Here is my C7 when I picked it up from the dealer with height set at factory.
Tire pressure is at 30 psi and 3/4 tank of gas is in it.

The height from the ground to the bottom of the car just behind the front wheel is 4 7/8 inches.
The height from the ground to the bottom of the car just in front of the rear wheel is 5 7/8 inches, so a one inch rake.

The distance from the ground up the middle of the wheel to the bottom of the front fender wheel well is 27 1/8 inches.
The distance from the ground up the middle of the wheel to the bottom of the rear fender wheel well is 28 inches.
There is a two finger gap parallel from top of tire to fender at each wheel.

Since you are not a fan of the raked look, when you lower your car at the back the wheel gaps in the wheel wells will not be the same front to back. May look odd.

The rubber flap below the front bumper is 3 inches high and the distance from the ground to the rubber strip is also 3 inches.

My car is low enough for me. Maybe you can compare the measurements that I have against your C6 measurements and can be a guide for how much more you want to lower your C7.

Good luck

Attached Images  
Patman (09-20-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 12:47 AM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I know quite a few people on here have lowered their C7s by adjusting the stock bolts but how many of you have gone one step further and cut a portion off the bushing in order to drop it even further? It's very popular on the C6 (I have a portion my rear bushings cut off) but hasn't seemed to catch on quite yet with the C7 crowd.

I have a set of lowering bolts that I already bought for my C7 and was planning on going that route when the car arrived, but after spending a bit of time talking to C6 owners who have lowering bolts, pretty much every single one of them recommends not going that route, they are not durable enough for every day use. So my new plan is to go as low as I can while utilizing the stock bolts and having one of the ribs of the stock bushing cut off.

So I was hoping to see some pictures of C7s that have been lowered with the stock bolts and cut bushings so I know approximately how mine is going to look.
I lowered mine and cut the bushings. I have had no issues and have done the same on my last 3 C7 Z's. I can't post a pic right now but for reference the lower front air dam is 1.5 inches off the ground. Stock it was just a little over 3. I do not track the car for what it's worth. I have driven lowered cars for years and am fortunate that I live in a area where it's not a problem. I know not everyone has the same experience or opinion but has worked for me just fine. You can always raise it back up if you like.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 AM
Patman
Race Director

Thanks for your input! I am glad to hear that you were able to lower it a little bit more than 1.5 inches, hopefully mine will be about the same. I too have driven lowered cars for years (I have lowered 7 of the 18 cars I've had) I am also fortunate that my area is not bad for lowered cars and it's going to help me out tremendously that I am going to make sure the dealer does not install the front air dam when the car arrives so that will give me that extra bit of clearance when going into driveways.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:25 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Just lowered my Z on stock bolts 2 days ago, the front sits perfectly now but the rear still a bit high. Was contemplating cutting the bushings as well but not sure if it will have any negative effects.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Get out of here with that bs. Most of us? Are you the rep for the C7 owners? Have you taken a poll? How do you not feel like an asswipe just typing that sentence?
lifter213 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I too want to cut the bushing on my C7 Z, haven't done it yet though. I had bushings cut on my C6, did it within a few hundred miles of buying the car new, sold the car with 40k+ miles on it without a single problem or squeak from the suspension. I dislike the "don't do it" people, same people that, no offense, post pics of their completely stock C7 to show off, I can go see 30 of those lined up at a Chevrolet dealership, I like people actually modifying these cars to their liking, makes them a little more unique from the thousands of Corvettes out there
The following 2 users liked this post by PolishDude:
AbsolutHank (10-13-2017), Patman (10-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Lowered on stock bolts with cut bushings?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowered on stock bolts with cut bushings?