Sponsored by:

Xpel and Suntek after a year

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Xpel and Suntek after a year

So...just washed the car. Looking straight at the hood..like seeing your reflection..it looks awesome. And a few other angles look amazing

But

When I was standing to the side glancing low at an angle, it looked terrible. like the film itself was dirty.

It's smooth to the touch.

The poor girl lives outside (long story). I wash it as much as I can. It'll get a polish/seal about every 4 months. I need to check the film after I run the DAover it with the polishes I use. I've never put anything abrasive on the film.

Could I/should I...claymitt the film? Use a gentle abrasive with a polish pad. Like CG's V36 with a soft pad...just to get a slight "bight"?

Other ideas?

Thanks. To the untrained eye, the car looks amazing. It's just my black C7 OCD I suppose.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:26 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
So...just washed the car. Looking straight at the hood..like seeing your reflection..it looks awesome. And a few other angles look amazing

But

When I was standing to the side glancing low at an angle, it looked terrible. like the film itself was dirty.

The poor girl lives outside (long story). I wash it as much as I can. It'll get a polish/seal about every 4 months. I need to check the film after I run the DAover it with the polishes I use. I've never put anything abrasive on the film.

Could I/should I...claymitt the film? Use a gentle abrasive with a polish pad. Like CG's V36 with a soft pad...just to get a slight "bight"?

Other ideas?

Thanks. To the untrained eye, the car looks amazing. It's just my black C7 OCD I suppose.
Usually the shop that you had it installed can bring it back to life for a small fee. I tried buffing myself on a car that was left out for years, brought back about 50% of the original look but that is about it. I think when you leave it outside for a long time its tuff on the film. My shop said if my vette ever gets a little dull they can bring it back. So maybe you should check with your shop before you knock yourself out.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:41 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I have Suntek on my Z and keep it in the garage with a cover on it. It looks fantastic, but it has only been on the car for about a year. The film has yellowed on my Highlander after several years. As soon as that stuff looks bad on my Z, it's coming off. I would rather be waxing the paint and not the film anyway.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

I haven't noticed any color difference. No change in the shade of black. Just...looks "contaminated ". Best I can describe.

The car looks great. Just the film, at certain angles, looks blah.

I'll have to run a polish over it and see how it looks after that.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Why would someone wax the Suntek film when the manufacturer states to use a polymer wax like ICE wax on the film. anything abrasive on the Suntek film will show all kinds of swirls and streaks.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

My car lives outside in the back under a car port so it's somewhat protected. However. I get the OP, I just use a really light wax with a wax pad and it buffs right out. I think I even made a thread on what NOT to do as well. Nothing abrasive at all. Really light and take your time... it will look great again.

the spray they sell you to protect the xpel/clear works okay too. You should def apply that too if you feel so inclined.

try claybar as well before the light coat of wax.

Last edited by NmtMev; 10-06-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

I don't have swirls, streaks or scratches.

So far I've used black, white or red foam pads with Blacklight and JetSeal from Chemical Guys.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:13 AM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't have swirls, streaks or scratches.

So far I've used black, white or red foam pads with Blacklight and JetSeal from Chemical Guys.
the stuff is a lot tougher than most people think. I know exactly what you mean it looks kinda meh sometimes. What color is your car? I think it's black right?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Yep. Black.

And after a wash it looks awesome from most angles. And after a fresh polishing it really looks great. But when you get up on the film and really look...you can see it.

But, I haven't taken that same look after a polishing. I will next time and compare. If there isn't an improvement then I may try something a tad more invasive
Old 10-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

See post #9 in the link below for guidance from XPEL.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-ultimate.html
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

My film on the rocker panels looks terrible up close, but from far away it looks great, feels smooth too.

I think once the film takes a fair amount of damage you just have to deal with it.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:34 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Keeping It Clean

But

Other ideas?

You can clay the ULTIMATE film without issue if you need to. Another resource for info on care maintenance as well as many other Frequently Asked Questions can be found on our

XPEL Care Page - http://xpel.com/care

or on

Paint Protection Film FAQ's - http://www.xpel.com/faqs/

Thank-you for choosing XPEL and let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel and Suntek after a year

Quick Reply: Xpel and Suntek after a year