C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers REFUSING to service my 2015 C7 (in warranty)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

This seems to be a common problem in the NY city area. It's been reported over the years in C5, C6 and C7 generations. I have not heard of it outside of the NY area.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:45 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Honestly though, do you want a dealership that doesnt want your car there working on your baby? Gives me nightmares enough going to a dealer that is good.

Can someone recommend me a good corvette centric dealer near Brighton, michigan?
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm stuck in the same boat. The local dealership (Ryan Chevrolet, Mississippi) refused to perform the recommended service (as listed by the owner's manual) so I'm stuck. It's prolly 120 miles to the next dealer and I'll have to leave the car overnight.

It's for sure I won't insist on the locals to do the work since they've already refused the job.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 AM
VettVertGo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

IceMezzer- sorry to hear of your challenges in finding a Chevy store willing to service your Vette. As a former resident of the Harrisburg, PA area for many years, if you want to press the issue, I would suggest calling the largest Chevy dealer there and asking to talk directly with the owner.....the guy with his surname on the dealership sign. I am referencing the dealer just to the East of the river on I-83. Share your experience with him directly (his store refused to service your Vette because it wasn't purchased there) and let him know how surprised you were to receive that response. I will be highly surprised if he not only apologizes for your experience, but also takes immediate action to fix the issue. As a bit of background about the owner (I have known him personally for many years), he happens to be a huge Vette fan ( in fact he orders a new one for himself every year, drives it daily and then sells it at the end of the year). When you speak with him, let him know that you have it from a good source that he is not only one of the top volume Chevy stores in that market for many years, he's also pretty much a lifelong huge Vette fan. Beyond those two facts, he participated for many years on a number of GM's advisory boards, so he is well known by GM and also knows their policies and expectations. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!
The following 4 users liked this post by VettVertGo:
Acenines3 (09-20-2017), jschindler (09-20-2017), LB001 (09-20-2017), Quick99 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Business must be good for these dealers to be turning away money. I will never understand that mindset.
The following users liked this post:
jschindler (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:25 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

I brought my vette out of state, had the airbag recall done at Nesenger 112 Chevy in Patchogue on Long Island
Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

18 months ago I bought my wife a new Lexus from a dealer in Dallas because my local dealer, who I have actually bought from before was out in left field on the price. I live in the south suburbs of Houston. Six months later I took it to my local dealer for a 5000 mile service. I asked for the service writer I had used in the past. The service does not include an oil change but I told him I wanted it done, and use synthetic oil and I know I'm going to have to pay for the oil change.

When I picked up the car there was no charge for the oil change. I told him they forgot to put it on there. He said no, didn't forget. I know you bought it at another dealer, we want your business back.

You might want to show this post the the GM or owner of the dealers who are refusing to work on you car and ask him why in the world a business wouldn't think this way instead for trying to get your business by pissing you off. Great business model that is. "We are going to make you hate us to try to get you to buy from us the next time."
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

You might have to BS them by spending an hour or so pretending you want to by one of their other Chevrolet models.

Then, during that process tell them the quality of their service dept. is of utmost importance, and oh by the way, I have a Corvette that needs service.

Ask them "how good: their service team is to get them talking about it, and then tell them as a start you'd like to see how they service your Corvette, before signing off on the Malibu that you love.

Then, after they service the Corvette, Oops, my wife just got laid off, we love the Malibu and will buy it from you as soon as she gets back to work.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Sounds to me like a few of these NY dealers play golf together and have got a case of the a** for Kerbeck being able to undercut their prices by the sheer volume that they do.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It is a violation of their franchise agreement to refuse warranty service. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the consequences are essentially non-existent.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 AM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

I live in nyc. I can recommend you to sunrise chevorlet in forest hills. They have done all my service for my car and it has been great. Mine is also a 2015 and also from kerbeck.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by IceMezzer
OK.. So I have been a corvette owner 2006 and a LOYAL GM Owner since 1996.. I currently own a 2015 Corvette Stingray, 2016 Cadillac Escalade and a 2005 H2 Hummer..

I Purchased my 2015 Corvette from Kerbeck in New Jersey, NEW in 2015. I live in Longisland but have purchased my C6 from them as well since they have the best price and selection...

I have NEVER had to bring my C7 in for service since I purchased.. Today I called FIVE Local chevy dealers... Each one had an excuse to why they wouldn't service my car and one flat out said they wont service since I didn't purchase from them. The other 4 said their Corvette technicians are so busy they couldn't fit me in for 3-4 Months... Even for an airbag recall..
Reasons its going in for service :

1) AIR BAG RECALL (you think this would make them schedule)
2) Nav System freezing
3) Weird Rattle coming from front left side of car
4) cracking weather stripping

I called GM Customer care and I'm waiting for a call back from a supervisor. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't get mad easily, but this got me pissed. Spending over 70K on a car and the DEALERS refusing warranty service? The car only has 10k miles on it.
The fact that they are all saying that reminds me of the gas/welding business when there were mostly independent distributors! Made most of their profit (and still do today) renting cylinders and selling gas! In a given area they all charged the same and Long Island fits that description even better as folks can't economically drive to CT or NJ!

IMO, there is a reason they all say the same thing, it's known as Conclusion!

Similar Situation With Gas/Welding Distributors!

What's funny, when I started in the industry there were few small home users with MIG welding and not many small cylinders. For large cylinders they would "Only" rent them and would NOT fill a cylinder you owned. In fact that is still the same today for large cylinders, can't own must rent!

There were safety concerns "used to justify renting," re transportation requirements, cylinders must be tested (which is true) etc! Funny, today the small cylinders can be owned and are filled to the same pressure and all those arguments hold no water (as they didn't at the time) but because no one would pay rent on a 20 CF cylinder but will on a 330 CF large cylinder, they will fill your small cylinder or exchange! Few, if any, do anything but rent large cylinders! Nice business! Cylinders can last 100 years and you collect rent every month!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-20-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Honestly though, do you want a dealership that doesnt want your car there working on your baby? Gives me nightmares enough going to a dealer that is good.

Can someone recommend me a good corvette centric dealer near Brighton, michigan?
Exactly. OP you can do the service yourself or have any trusted mechanic do it and it won't affect your warranty. Just save the receipts and record the maintenance.

There are likely some good independent mechanics in your area that service Corvette's that will be more trusted than these shady dealers.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Dealerships are privately owned independent businesses operating on a franchise agreement from the manufacturer. While that agreement with GM does say you will service cars presented regardless of original sales source, the reality is that it is very difficult to enforce. I have refused service for various reasons in the past and even been asked by GM to make an exception. I have both refused and agreed at various times but it certainly is not something GM is going to the "mat" for.

Consumers in some cases can be very demanding and obnoxious. Both those who purchased from you and those who thought they were smarter and bought somewhere else. There is certainly an obligation to your own sales but not necessarily to those who you did not sell. The potential profit from one service event is so inconsequential it is not relevant. In most cases that service event can be replaced with one of your own customers. These are just some of the reasons warranty work can occasionally be refused.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:51 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I'd be calling the Eye Witness News "I" team, and let the dealership explain that on camera...
JimNeedsC7 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
For $100 flat bed your car to Steve Spencer at Bryner Chevrolet..
He's the only one you want working on your car anyway..
Trust me on this!

Why do you say that?

Enlighten me, please. I don't say this to be condescending, I say it sincerely because my Z06 has a few issues my local dealer(s) have been unable to resolve so if there is a Corvette whisperer out there and is relatively close by, I'd like to learn more.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:19 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Hmmmm not anymore. The front of the house ALWAYS out grosses the back.
Not ALWAYS. For example, look at 2008, 2009.

BTW, I didn't say there wasn't more gravy at times than meat and potatoes.

The truth is, if your fixed ops (service and parts) don't pay the rent, utilities and "overhead," you're out of business when the bubble bursts and the cycle continues without you. If you're fixed ops do pay the rent, utilities and "overhead," you'll still be around to catch the next wave. Turning away service business (especially warranty service business) is a really bad move.
Originally Posted by dork
I'm stuck in the same boat. The local dealership (Ryan Chevrolet, Mississippi) refused to perform the recommended service (as listed by the owner's manual) so I'm stuck. It's prolly 120 miles to the next dealer and I'll have to leave the car overnight.

It's for sure I won't insist on the locals to do the work since they've already refused the job.
For "scheduled service," you don't have to take it to a dealership. You can take it to a quality independent shop. They need to use the right parts and follow the right procedures, but it doesn't have to be a dealership that changes your oil and inspects your tires.

You can even do the work yourself (keep records, receipts, a good journal/log book with dates and mileages). For recall service or warranty service, you're not in the best position. I'd call GM about that. Depending on the location and the situation, they may be able to help you out.
LT1 Z51 (09-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealers REFUSING to service my 2015 C7 (in warranty)

Old 09-20-2017, 09:19 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by brooklync5
I had a similar experience with Paul Conte chevy on Long Island... I didn't buy the car from them so they didn't want to service the car (aside from the recall). Complete ******** and just a terrible dealership. Called gm who told me it was at the dealers discretion and their hands were tied. There is a great smaller dealer in forest hills queens called sunrise Chevrolet though. Call them they are GREAT!
That's good to know because back in the day, it was called Luby Chevrolet. And they were good then, too.

If not to that dealership, go to the one CorvetteED recommended, or Bryner Chev just outside of Philly---yes, far away. But think of it this way: a) you'll probably get an LI dealer ticked at you and your car and b) it is possible they don't know how to service your car!

Good luck no matter how it turns out.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is a violation of their franchise agreement to refuse warranty service. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the consequences are essentially non-existent.
It is difficult for GM to do a lot as the dealer has a lot of rights under those old auto franchises! Like GM can't open up another Chevy dealer in their territory! They also could not reduce the number of Olds dealers so they dropped the brand, which was less costly than lawsuits!

SIDE BAR:

IMO these are no doubt local issues where a group of dealers may collude! Around here they make their money on service, parts, body shop not just selling cars! The service group in the large local Chevy, BMW, Mercedes and now Nissan dealer (they just bought that one) has never questioned where I bought he Vette. The last 3 from out of state.

For my recent Grand Sport alignment, the Chevy scheduler could not have been happier to do it when I asked at 400 miles. Had an appointment in two days of requesting. I gave him a sheet of paper with the GM spec/range and told him what I wanted! Was watching the tech from outside the alignment bay as he plugged in the model into the Hunter machine. He even invited me in to look at the display screen as he changed every camber to my request (all just within the GM allowed range) and fixed one toe that was in the red and center all the toes. Did tell him there would be a tip, which I did give! All they really had to if they stuck by GM rules was check and only change that one toe. They did not have to change the camber from on average, -1.5 degrees on all wheels (on the high end but within the broad GM spec) to the -0.7 degree average I requested (on the low end but within the GM spec!) That would have taken 10 versus the 45+ minutes the tech spent! All on GM's dime!

That same dealer service manager helped me get $800 back from GM for a hole in the AC condenser in my C6 that was not covered because it "was probably caused by a rock!" I took some pics of the hole in the removed condenser and with a 10X magnifier showed it was caused by a defect in a tube and failed from the inside! He presented that info and pics to the GM district service rep and I was reimbursed by GM for the full amount! Could not have been nicer and no one every asked where I bought the car!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-20-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's not what a GM customer service supervisor told me last year when I had a similar issue. She told me that it was at the dealerships discretion weather or not to service the vehicle in or out of warranty made no difference. I was also within warranty period.

Quick Reply: Dealers REFUSING to service my 2015 C7 (in warranty)