GS Fender Spat Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:18 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob-G
I like these, thanks.
I bought from RPI and just waiting to install .... body colored in Blade Silver. The are OEM parts and will be easy and a nice addition...I have all the vents painted BS as well - factory option.
The following users liked this post:
Bob-G (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaxman
I bought from RPI and just waiting to install .... body colored in Blade Silver. The are OEM parts and will be easy and a nice addition...I have all the vents painted BS as well - factory option.
Please post pix when you get them installed. I haven't seen any body colored spats yet. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:45 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I haven't seen any body colored spats yet. Thanks.
It has come up before.I don't even notice them anymore.I think they blend in over time.I think if you change to a color they will be more noticeable.
You''ll be looking at them cause You changed them.Or just picking the car apart? Hmm,What can i change now?
Here is a couple pics on this link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-install.html
Bob-G (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DALE#3
It has come up before.I don't even notice them anymore.I think they blend in over time.I think if you change to a color they will be more noticeable.
You''ll be looking at them cause You changed them.Or just picking the car apart? Hmm,What can i change now?
Here is a couple pics on this link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-install.html
Thanks for the link. The body color painted spats blend in pretty good, on that color anyway. The Carbon Flash look really good. I think its safe to say any option of the stock option would be a huge improvement.

Last edited by Bob-G; 09-21-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Please post pix when you get them installed. I haven't seen any body colored spats yet. Thanks.
scheduled for 10/2. Will post that evening.
I think there is a pic above if you look.
Bob-G (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the link. The body color painted spats blend in pretty good, on that color anyway. The Carbon Flash look really good. I think its safe to say any option of the stock option would be a huge improvement.
If you decide to paint? Skirts added and splitter change will look better.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

Spats = looks like a Pep Boys add-on. As far as Tadge goes it's BS. If the spats are so much of and aerodynamic improvement over rounded fenders then why are they not on the C7-R's. Chevy was too cheap to modify the front fenders for the wider tires. They had to widen the rear fenders for the lower side scoops so no add-ons for the rear.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
Jerry, you look pretty nice in that bikini
Yep good friend, way back when!

Thought you'd like that better than my pic in the Jeep!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-21-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by proexpert
That answer from the engineer dude is corporate BS. I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm not buying any of that. If that were true, the Stingray would also have them.
If you're referring to my post #12, Tadge, is the Corvette Chief Engineer. Have BS/MS in ME myself as well as an MS in Engineering Management! Understand aero enough to know that computational aerodynamics and wind tunnel tests Tadge mentioned they use when he presented lift and drag data for all C7 models is not something he pulled out of the air!

In fact computational aerodynamics is getting so good F1 has limited the computer time teams can spend using it as well as limiting wind tunnel test time since they were operating them 24/7 and increasing costs that smaller teams could not match.

Aero is not intuitive, takes data. I have found Tadge pretty straight with his answers. May not tell everything, perhaps skips questions he dos not wish to answer, but he was not justifying GM being cheap by using Spats with BS, IMO!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-21-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RMS73
Spats = looks like a Pep Boys add-on. As far as Tadge goes it's BS. If the spats are so much of and aerodynamic improvement over rounded fenders then why are they not on the C7-R's. Chevy was too cheap to modify the front fenders for the wider tires. They had to widen the rear fenders for the lower side scoops so no add-ons for the rear.
You obviously DID NOT READ WHAT HE SAID!

This is extracted from his statement:

"Naturally the question is, "If it is so important, why don't we see it on the C7.R race car?" The reason is that the race car sits so low to the ground it can take advantage of even more efficient aerodynamic features such as an "underwing" that sits beneath the front splitter. "

Tadge was even smart enough to know you were going to ask that question!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-21-2017 at 05:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
DALE#3 (09-21-2017), Hopper12 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Is it me or is it the ones that make fun of the spats the most are the people that don't own C7 GS'S and Z06'S.
JerryU (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Is it me or is it the ones that make fun of the spats the most are the people that don't own C7 GS'S and Z06'S.
Or Corvette Base owners that want Spats But Hate Them
JerryU (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

I really do like the Carbon Fiber, Carbon Flash, and body color better.

But this still doesn't solve a bigger problem for me - the replacement spats still use the stock form and don't follow the radius all the way around the wheel opening.

This becomes even more pronounced for those of us who have installed the 'splash guards' in an attempt to prevent some stone chips. IMO, this is an even bigger issue with the spats.

If anyone knows of a solution that follows the radius all the way and incorporates the 'splash guard' effect, I'm in. The ones I've looked at follow the same pattern as stock. I get that it's a bit more complicated to incorporate the last 12 inches of the bottom/rear, but I'd accept a two piece solution that fit together perfectly too. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough?

Just MO. Otherwise, I can't find a bad angle on these cars!

PS: my apologies - this post is also on the 'other' spat thread. I meant to post it on this one.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Not perfect but I think the wider ACS Splash Guards and Stage 3 Winglets help integrate them better.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-21-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Hopper12 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

^^^^ I agree. But I sure wish there was a better solution for the rear radius.

You have a beautiful car, BTW.
JerryU (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I too have a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering and know something about aerodynamics and gas dynamics. What Tadge said is not BS. It makes perfect sense to me and I believe it. I like the look of the raw plastic spats on my Watkins Gray GS, but if you like them better painted, then have them painted. I would not replace them with an even slightly different shape. They've obviously given this thought, and they know what they are doing.

BTW, I have a circular driveway in front of my house that is surfaced with 1/4" decomposed granite. The back of my house, where I enter the garage, is pavers. I have to drive over the granite to get to the driveway. At first I was worried that I'd chip the crap out of my car as the granite comes off the sticky tires. But it appears they've done something right here. I drive slow for 200-300 ft out of my driveway to get rid of the loose rocks, and from that point on I don't have a problem. I haven't found a single chip yet.
JerryU (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hopper12
I really do like the Carbon Fiber, Carbon Flash, and body color better.

But this still doesn't solve a bigger problem for me - the replacement spats still use the stock form and don't follow the radius all the way around the wheel opening.

This becomes even more pronounced for those of us who have installed the 'splash guards' in an attempt to prevent some stone chips. IMO, this is an even bigger issue with the spats.

If anyone knows of a solution that follows the radius all the way and incorporates the 'splash guard' effect, I'm in. The ones I've looked at follow the same pattern as stock. I get that it's a bit more complicated to incorporate the last 12 inches of the bottom/rear, but I'd accept a two piece solution that fit together perfectly too. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough?

Just MO. Otherwise, I can't find a bad angle on these cars!

PS: my apologies - this post is also on the 'other' spat thread. I meant to post it on this one.
Take a look at these. This link takes you directly to the Carbon Flash, but there is also Matte Black and Carbon Fiber if you back out of the link.

https://apsisusa.com/?page_id=3984
Hopper12 (09-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To GS Fender Spat Options?

Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

Tadge answer:
"Ok, then why don't we see it on other street cars?". Well, actually you do. There are several, typically very serious performance cars that have similar features such as the Porsche GT3RS."
I just looked at 50+ images using Bing & Google for "Porsche GT3RS" and only one showed a body colored spat which was integrated into the fender so well that it looked more like the fender than a "spat".
Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by brettmess24
APR Performance carbon fiber spats! Fit and finish is spot on.

That car needs lowered real bad.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red62vette
I too have a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering and know something about aerodynamics and gas dynamics. What Tadge said is not BS. It makes perfect sense to me and I believe it. I like the look of the raw plastic spats on my Watkins Gray GS, but if you like them better painted, then have them painted. I would not replace them with an even slightly different shape. They've obviously given this thought, and they know what they are doing.

BTW, I have a circular driveway in front of my house that is surfaced with 1/4" decomposed granite. The back of my house, where I enter the garage, is pavers. I have to drive over the granite to get to the driveway. At first I was worried that I'd chip the crap out of my car as the granite comes off the sticky tires. But it appears they've done something right here. I drive slow for 200-300 ft out of my driveway to get rid of the loose rocks, and from that point on I don't have a problem. I haven't found a single chip yet.
Seldom mention degrees as cars have been a hobby since I was ~12 and have been a reprieve from my business which involves welding! My current part time welding related business involves gas flow.

I attribute much of my car knowledge to my dad, uncle and reading every issue of Hot Rod since a teenager! Today I get a subscription not only to it, Super Chevy, Car & Driver, Road & Track, Autoweek, Street Rodder and a few others but also been getting an SAE mag for many years as well a sending for SAE tech papers when I find one of interest!

I live in a rural area with lots of pebbles on the road edges. On the two mile road twisty road from a 4 lane highway to my home I pass an intersecting gravel road that pulls lots of pebbles onto our paved road. I hear those small pebbles hitting the underside my side skirts very time I pass! Installed side skirts on my 2014 Z51 to stop then hitting the rocker panels. The Grand Sport side skirts are a big help as well as GM air flow design around the front wheels

The ACS wider and deeper splash guards I added to the Grand Sport are an additional help. So far, no marking of the plastic GM put around the rear lower fender air duct.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-22-2017 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: GS Fender Spat Options?