C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Happens When You Change Your Own Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'm not so sure about that. As both I and NSC5 said, having no records "ain't gonna fly."

Moreover, the dealer isn't going to deny anything. They make money by doing repairs. It's the manufacturer who will doing the denying, and it's the dealer who is usually your friend in such circumstances. They want to do anything possible to convince any manufacturer to approve warranty repairs.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-21-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 PM
adriankapl
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I also buy oil and filters in quantity so for me it isn't a just in time purchase. My Cadillac and ATS both get Mobil 1 5W30 and my GMC Sierra and John Deere tractor get Delo 400 15W40 and I buy the oil in cases about once a year.

I am pretty confident that my receipts showing sufficient oil and filters for what I own along with the service records I create will be sufficient for GM and of course I do reset the OLM system when I change the oil and since I have OnStar it also keeps those reports.

I suppose you could videotape your entire oil change using a current newspaper for the day to catch any splashed oil and make sure that it is also in the video. Then seal the digital media and the newspaper in an envelope along with the boxtop from your oil filter and caps from the oil containers, wax seal across the envelope flap, and have your signature across the seal notarized. But that seems just a tad overkill to me
What if he uses old newspaper?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:28 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Respectfully disagree, Foosh.

GM corporate doesn't have folks looking over the shoulder of the service writers. They make the call, and get reimbursed. I even have a story about that one.

One of the Chevy dealers here in town had a service writer that was replacing parts that didn't need to be replaced for several years. I am in a Corvette club here, and it became common knowledge that he'd replace items that weren't bad under warranty, just before the warranty expired. At the time (C4 era) the steering rack was a weak link. It wasn't a matter of if it would fail, it was when. Many members took their C4's to him, and they'd get a new rack with the only complaint being "steering feels funny". No test drive, no inspection. He got commission on every repair he sold, so he was raking it in. That dealership ended up having highest warranty claims of any dealership in the country. GM finally got wise, and did an audit. He got caught, and was promptly fired.

There are 100's of legit reasons folks might not have their proof of life of oil changes. Divorce, house burned down, dog ate them, lost in a move, etc. Unless the tech or service writer suspects (sludge, burned bearings, excessive ring wear, four quarts low) that the oil was never changed, simply not being ably to produce receipts isn't going to stop a warranty claim.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZR1

GM corporate doesn't have folks looking over the shoulder of the service writers. They make the call, and get reimbursed. I even have a story about that one.

One of the Chevy dealers here in town had a service writer that was replacing parts that didn't need to be replaced for several years. I am in a Corvette club here, and it became common knowledge that he'd replace items that weren't bad under warranty, just before the warranty expired. At the time (C4 era) the steering rack was a weak link. It wasn't a matter of if it would fail, it was when. Many members took their C4's to him, and they'd get a new rack with the only complaint being "steering feels funny". No test drive, no inspection. He got commission on every repair he sold, so he was raking it in. That dealership ended up having highest warranty claims of any dealership in the country. GM finally got wise, and did an audit. He got caught, and was promptly fired.

There are 100's of legit reasons folks might not have their proof of life of oil changes. Divorce, house burned down, dog ate them, lost in a move, etc. Unless the tech or service writer suspects (sludge, burned bearings, excessive ring wear, four quarts low) that the oil was never changed, simply not being ably to produce receipts isn't going to stop a warranty claim.
Concur. Corvette owners changing their oil is a good assumption, receipt or not.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:47 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Has anyone ever heard of someone having their warranty denied because they didn't change their oil frequently enough, when in fact they did? Ever?

I haven't. IMHO, we are likely hand wringing over nothing...
I was in the industry (dealership parts and service at all levels up to management). I've seen a few cases, but none that involved a "do it yourselfer," and none that would affect a Chevy.

The ones I've seen that were problems were with low market share, "oddball" cars (one very upscale, one very low end), owned by people who lived more than 150 miles from the nearest dealership and who used national chains for their oil changes. The national chain shops had no idea where to get oil filters for those cars and probably did change the oil (no telling if they put the correct oil in the crankcases), but left the factory installed "break in" oil filter (unique and available nowhere but the factory) on the engines.

Both of the case I remember had total engine failure before 33,000 miles, and both of them were initially ruled "Warranty void, no evidence of oil/filter changes. Factory installed filter still on engine." Both owners were able to produce a stack of receipts from different national chains for "oil and filter change services" well in excess of the minimum required by the manufacturer. One had 9 or 10 receipts, the other I think had 6. The vehicles showed 7,500 mile oil change intervals for "normal driving" and one showed 3,000 mile intervals for "severe use" or something along those lines. That guy had receipts for every 3,0xx to 3,5xx miles.

Both engines were replaced at no cost to the customers/vehicle owners, and there were major fights between the manufacturers and the national chains that operated the "repair shops" where the "oil and filter change services" were allegedly performed. I honestly don't remember who ended up paying the bills.

This would be highly unlikely for a Chevrolet engine, although I think GM does use unique filters on the engines when they are assembled to "catch" people who never change the oil and filter.
The following 3 users liked this post by C6_Racer_X:
DanZR1 (09-21-2017), Foosh (09-22-2017), roadbike56 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I was in the industry (dealership parts and service at all levels up to management). I've seen a few cases, but none that involved a "do it yourselfer," and none that would affect a Chevy.

The ones I've seen that were problems were with low market share, "oddball" cars (one very upscale, one very low end), owned by people who lived more than 150 miles from the nearest dealership and who used national chains for their oil changes. The national chain shops had no idea where to get oil filters for those cars and probably did change the oil (no telling if they put the correct oil in the crankcases), but left the factory installed "break in" oil filter (unique and available nowhere but the factory) on the engines.

Both of the case I remember had total engine failure before 33,000 miles, and both of them were initially ruled "Warranty void, no evidence of oil/filter changes. Factory installed filter still on engine." Both owners were able to produce a stack of receipts from different national chains for "oil and filter change services" well in excess of the minimum required by the manufacturer. One had 9 or 10 receipts, the other I think had 6. The vehicles showed 7,500 mile oil change intervals for "normal driving" and one showed 3,000 mile intervals for "severe use" or something along those lines. That guy had receipts for every 3,0xx to 3,5xx miles.

Both engines were replaced at no cost to the customers/vehicle owners, and there were major fights between the manufacturers and the national chains that operated the "repair shops" where the "oil and filter change services" were allegedly performed. I honestly don't remember who ended up paying the bills.

This would be highly unlikely for a Chevrolet engine, although I think GM does use unique filters on the engines when they are assembled to "catch" people who never change the oil and filter.
Great info, thanks for that!

Do you remember what the actual causes of the failures were? I'm guessing both were due to the factory filter coming apart, and getting sucked into the engine.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

if we are talking catastrophic engine failure then GM will likely want a thorough analysis done and they will likely review maintenace records especially if the engine failure is related to oil loss or starvation. At that point then yes, you could be out of luck.

But we are talking an extreme case here.

Last edited by thill444; 09-21-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:31 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Do you remember what the actual causes of the failures were? I'm guessing both were due to the factory filter coming apart, and getting sucked into the engine.
Main bearings failed on both of them.

One, all the oil passages were so full of dirt and crud that it ultimately "blew out" the rubber gasket on the oil filter and was leaking oil out there. The oil literally couldn't get in the block, through the passages to the bearings.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Main bearings failed on both of them.

One, all the oil passages were so full of dirt and crud that it ultimately "blew out" the rubber gasket on the oil filter and was leaking oil out there. The oil literally couldn't get in the block, through the passages to the bearings.
Where did the dirt come from? Did you suspect that the oil wasn't really changed, and the receipts were fake? Or was it the paper element from the filter that finally came apart?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:57 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I would think with a filter that old it was pretty much bypassing everything around the filter and of course since it was the original factory filter it had probably also picked up a lot of debris early on.

Even new filters generally are in partial bypass mode with cold oil, another reason you don't want to operate a cold engine at high rpm. Whenever the pressure drop across the filter exceeds the bypass valve setting then some unfiltered oil is going around. With a never changed filter pretty soon it will always be in nearly full bypass mode.

I travel to the TN mountains fairly often and often take my GMC Sierra diesel pickup. My second one was a 2006 when the LBZ version of the engine was first introduced and I had one of the first produced. I was parked in a parking lot in Newport, TN and a local came over to ask me about the truck and one of his questions was if I had changed the oil yet. He was curious if the oil filter was tough to get off and I told him yes, just like that on my 2001; apparently they had a gorilla at Moraine assembly plant to put on those filters. He then told me about the hassle he had with his 2001 which got a new engine in 2003. The selling dealer had done all of the service but never changed the oil filter because the tech decided it was so tight he didn't want to deal with it. The customer came out OK but after a big hassle. I am sure that is a very rare occurrence but absolutely horrible behavior from a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
DanZR1 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I have a good dealership (fairly small that has a Corvette guy) that I will use for the remaining free oil change for my Z06 but after that I will do my own changes as I do for my other vehicles. I do keep the receipts and each vehicle has a spreadsheet associated with it where I keep track of maintenance.

If you don't want to keep your receipts at least take a photo of them with your phone and save those in a file.

That combination should be sufficient if there is a question about documenting maintenance.
How does proof of buying prove you changed the oil? A friend with a Dodge truck was told anything but a receipt from a repair shop (even like a Pep Boys) would void the warranty in case of a problem. I'd assume GM is the same.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:14 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

There is likely a threshold GM has set. An engine, transmission, complete CCB replacement or any other high dollar claim will be reviewed by GM and not just paid because some dealer employee wrote a repair order.

Not unlike how the IRS can't audit all 330 million of us but if someone claims a $25k deduction for charitable donations, you'd better believe that return will be audited.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by guido7834
How does proof of buying prove you changed the oil? A friend with a Dodge truck was told anything but a receipt from a repair shop (even like a Pep Boys) would void the warranty in case of a problem. I'd assume GM is the same.
If GM were requiring this, and legally they cannot, then it doesn't seem the owner's manual would include oil quantity, filter type, AND explicit instructions on how to change the oil.

Dodge, well now Ram or whatever they call themselves and soon to be Chinese I guess, is still subject to the M-M act.

But no need to believe me, because the Federal Trade Commission who is the primary interpreter and enforcer of M-M states the following on their website:

Quoted: "Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle.
In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty."

See: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance for the complete listing

Again, M-M doesn't say what many would like because it doesn't protect your warranty after you add 250 horsepower to your engine but it does very much provide protection to the average consumer who wants to use independent shops or do routine maintenance him or herself.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
bick333 (08-05-2019), edved (03-30-2023)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yeah, great info indeed, and in all cases owners had non-dealership records, and still faced major fights to obtain warranty coverage. You were previously arguing that records weren't necessary. You have me very confused as to what your point is.

What are you respectfully disagreeing with? I don't know what you were talking about, but I thought we were talking about big repairs like engine replacements. GM and every other manufacturer makes the call on big repairs.

Of course, they don't have to obtain GM approval for every minor warranty repair, but even for the piddly stuff, they still require dealers to retain or return replaced parts if requested by GM for audit reasons. I just had a interior light assembly (burned out bulb) replaced under warranty on my C7, and I wanted to keep the old part, but was told they had to keep it in case GM wanted it. Your C4 example is ancient, and it's not the 1980's anymore . . . manufacturers are far more strict today in approving warranty claims.

However, I know all too well what happens with major repairs because I had both C6 Z06 LS7, as well as BMW 740i engines disintegrate during the warranty period, and the dealerships did not have the authority to make those coverage decisions. It took a week of forensics by the manufacturers in both cases before they agreed to cover those engine replacements. In each case, both cars had all scheduled services done at the respective GM and BMW dealerships. If it ever happens to you, you'll wish you had too.

You are dead wrong. Not having maintenance records can void a major warranty claim. Minor stuff is irrelevant and often not worth fighting about. If you're going to do it yourself, you better have a good, safe place to store your well-documented, DIY records, because, "the dog ate my homework" or "I lost them" excuses don't work either at school or at the dealership when it comes to big $$$ repairs.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-22-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,146 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
I change my own oil once a year with Mobil 1, but do not keep receipts for oil and filter. What happens if there is a power train warranty problem and I don't have proof of oil changes? With all the horror stories of over filling and not using proper oil, I refuse to let some Doofus around my car.
If you can't prove you have change the oil at the required intervals and you have an engine failure you could get screwed.

You should always (and need to) keep proof of oil changes. I take a photo of the auto store receipt that shows the oil and oil filter purchases then file it in a photo album called "Maintenance Receipts". I also file the receipt in my Corvette folder.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,616 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
I change my own oil once a year with Mobil 1, but do not keep receipts for oil and filter. What happens if there is a power train warranty problem and I don't have proof of oil changes? With all the horror stories of over filling and not using proper oil, I refuse to let some Doofus around my car.
Made all the oil changes in my 2014 Z51 and now did the first at 500 miles in my Grand Sport. For years have just kept a log in the Owner's Manual for my cars. Did not bother with receipts. That said, never had a engine warranty related to lubrication!

However now that Mobil allows a scan and attachment of a pic for the on-line filing for a rebate, I started putting them in an envelope. I keep it with the Owner's Manual where I still maintain a log. Just paid $22.88 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart for the Street Rod and same day with a few key strokes submitted for my $12 Mobil 1 rebate, and received a response stating it's being processed! $2.20/quart! Not bad!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-22-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

All said, but why NOT keep all receipts and an ongoing record of changes, etc. Not that hard or time consuming; and, the legal system LOVES paperwork.

Get notified of new replies

To What Happens When You Change Your Own Oil?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Pretty easy.... Change your oil and the failure will not be because of the oil. That simple. Now if you don't change your oil it can be easily determined that was the failure. No need to keep records at all on oil changes.

If your engine failed because you didn't change it, they will see the viscosity breakdown when they drain it. If you ran t dry and seized it and put in oil after the fact they will see that too... and believe it or not most engine failures are not due to oil issues anyways.

SO instead of letting a grease Monkey strip your pan bolts, over fill or under fill at either a dealer or oil pit place. Keep changing your oil, toss the receipts, don't video record it, don't create a "data" sheet, because your engine failure is not because you properly changed the oil it will be because of something else.. Get it?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
Pretty easy.... Change your oil and the failure will not be because of the oil. That simple. Now if you don't change your oil it can be easily determined that was the failure. No need to keep records at all on oil changes.

If your engine failed because you didn't change it, they will see the viscosity breakdown when they drain it. If you ran t dry and seized it and put in oil after the fact they will see that too... and believe it or not most engine failures are not due to oil issues anyways.

SO instead of letting a grease Monkey strip your pan bolts, over fill or under fill at either a dealer or oil pit place. Keep changing your oil, toss the receipts, don't video record it, don't create a "data" sheet, because your engine failure is not because you properly changed the oil it will be because of something else.. Get it?
I might add don't follow the advice from NASTYC7 to throw away your records unless you just enjoy pain and suffering. It's pretty insane to leave yourself at the mercy of a manufacturer with no defense.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-22-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I might add don't follow the advice from NASTYC7 to throw away your records unless you just enjoy pain and suffering. It's pretty insane to leave yourself at the mercy of a manufacturer with no defense.
I knew you would respond.. Funny huh.. Got to love internet "know it all's...." You can spend your life worrying about the little things and I will enjoy mine. Have fun keeping your records for a non issue. Shoulda woulda and coulda do not imply here. Do you keep records of your tire inflation too? You know just incase right...

Might I ask how many motors have you had that seized or blew up from you properly changing your oil? Matter of fact how many failed because you didn't change the oil in a timely manner? I'm guessing ZERO!!

I know you think you are the "answer" to all issues here on this forum, but guess what. Your opinion is yours and that's all it is... I am giving mine..... I don't agree with you and you not with me (obviously by your stupid reply)

Now if you properly changed your oil and somehow your motor failed and they blamed you for not maintaining your oil changes or using the proper weight oil. Do you think you would forgo a $300 test agency ( which you would have to do anyways if you kept home records or even used an outside shop other than a dealer) to test the oil and give the manufacture a certified test result to show that at the time of the failure the proper oil weight was used and the fact the oil was within the viscosity range? But again please enlighten me on how many engine failures you have had due to you changing the oil per spec?

Quick Reply: What Happens When You Change Your Own Oil?