Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Paint Repair?

Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Quick99
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Carbon Fiber Paint Repair?

Dear Members,

Someone has Keyed the rear deck on my C7 and the scratches are deep and well into and below the paint. I suspect repair will require sanding.

Now My concern, as you all know the rear deck is made of woven carbon fiber and I wonder if this material can be sanded and painted in the same manner as the door panels, fenders which are not woven carbon fiber.

I have stopped at a well respected body shop and they refused to take on the job saying that repair to WCF required skills that they did not have.

Has anyone on the Forum had to repair / repaint your hood or rear deck and if so did you have difficulty finding a shop capable of doing a good job?

Thanks >> Quick 99
Old 09-21-2017, 06:51 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I’m actually doing a hood repair on my bmw 335I carbon fiber hood right now. It’s basically the same as repairing fiber glass. In your case it’s painted so it’s a lot easier. All they need to do is sand the area fill with resin and paint. In my case mine is exposed unpainted carbon fiber and is a little harder to do since I want to leave the weave exposed. In my case you need to buy uv rated carbon fiber resin. It’s not hard at all. I took my hood to well over 20 shops and nobody would touch it & that’s when I decided to do it myself and it will perfect when I’m done next week with it.

Last edited by chefcg1; 09-21-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

^^ Yeah, since you’re painting it a scratch fill won’t ever be visible if they do a good job.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm sure you'll find the rear deck is NOT carbon fiber but is the same SMC material as the fenders/doors... Hood and roof are carbon fiber.

Last edited by Clspht; 09-21-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Paint Repair?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Paint Repair?