C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind spot mirrors????

Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 238 Posts

We have the blind spot warning mirrors on our 2014 Impala and consider them a God send. The Impala is very hard to see out of both rear quarters, and I would not own the car without them. Also has the lane assist and forward warning, which I could easily live without. I can SEE what's going on in front of me, but sometimes wonder if some folks are deliberately trailing us in our blind spot for some absurd reason.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (10-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Travelor
Anyone considering or using these? They look like a somewhat cosmetically alternative while giving blind spot images.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Utopi...T7JSACHNSHP6SN
Travelor, I like the look of this one too, but it's just about as large as the width of the mirror. The spec says it's 133 mm wide, which is about 5.25". It looks like the car mirror is just slightly larger than that. It's also about 1.25" tall.

I was hoping someone would reply to your question...Anyone tried this one ???
Old 10-20-2018, 09:57 AM
djmichel
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go...

https://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.a...SABEgK4nfD_BwE
Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

i have these on my car looks like they came from the factory and they work
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 318 Posts

My 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV has a rear view wide angle camera mirror. It works awesome!!! Very wide angle view behind you of all traffic lanes. Cargo area items stacked up high is no problem with blocked vision

either as the camera for the rear view mirror is located above the license plate in the rear bumper. This would be great on the C7.
McCarthy1986 (03-01-2020)
Old 10-20-2018, 11:30 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I just adjust my mirrors correctly and don't worry about it. What blind spot? (and yeah, you are probably doing it wrong...)
Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
x3......
Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I just adjust my mirrors correctly and don't worry about it. What blind spot? (and yeah, you are probably doing it wrong...)
See post #7 with the graphic based on a multipage SAE tech paper around 1995! Read it then and use their method! This one graphic attempts to show what to do and why but the right side is often not read or understood! It's NOT just the car's currently on your fenders (called blind spot) but those that will soon be there that is important! If you need to make a quick decision you must follow cars from your center mirror to the sides. Never added blind spot mirrors to my '88, '93 or 2008 C6 Vette coupes because they had a reasonably good view of the rear. The C7 does NOT!

Have a ~60 year driving record of no accidents with another car! Attribute that to knowing where all cars are around me at all times (AND LUCK!) Several times with my 2014 and now Grand Sport I have had to make a quick decision on avoiding 18 wheelrs tire treads in the center lane of a 3 lane Interstate with no time to turn my head. In both cases I changed lanes knowing there was no AH barreling down the left (or some idiots do it on the right and weave in and out using traffic to block radar.) Have that often on I95 when I have cruise control set at ~77 mph and someone is going 90+ in the left lane. Recently saw someone with out of state plates in an SUV at about that speed with his cell phone on the top of his steering wheel texting! Some folks are really stupid! I also have my cell phone set to not receive calls when moving and never connected blue tooth so as not to be tempted! Plenty of time to check the useless text messages after I park!
SIDE BAR
In fact I don't think the wife's new BMW X5 SUV "blind spot detection" lights are that great! They catch the cars directly on your rear fenders but not ones barreling up that will soon be there. The capability exists to look further back and also calculate the upcoming car speed. They could have a display like the collision avoidance it has that shows a red car in front! It could have a warning that shows "AH barreling up and will be in your rear bumper soon!"

Bet it's not long before rear and side cameras will display the rear and perhaps simple warnings in HUD that help avoid accidents. Not a fan of self driving cars BUT with some of the distracted folks I see driving would rather have it in cars around me!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-20-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by gmarcucio
My 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV has a rear view wide angle camera mirror. It works awesome!!! Very wide angle view behind you of all traffic lanes. Cargo area items stacked up high is no problem with blocked vision either as the camera for the rear view mirror is located above the license plate in the rear bumper. This would be great on the C7.
Agreed. Question: is that a real rear view mirror or is that a monitor from a rear camera?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
"...cool looking..." or not, I have 2-inch, round, spot mirrors on ALL my vehicles (apart from my early, 1966 Excalibur roadster). I use the black-rimmed, non-adjusting at the outside/bottom corner. These are available at many parts houses, but now seam to take a little looking since some are only carrying the faux chrome-rimmed.

For me, these are a necessitated purely based on function, looks being irrelevant. I cannot see well enough to the left side in either my C5 or C7 and don't care that they may not be cool; they work. Sorry, I'm not where I can take and post pix at the moment. If no one does so tomorrow (Friday) and you want such do let me know then.

I've tried all of the fancy mirror adjustments, but I'm just too set in my ways to get used to them that way. If you look really hard at this pic you may see them, but you may not. So, as you see they do not detract from any of the cars looks. Plus, no one has even noticed them when commenting on how much they like the C7.

Disclaimer. These are all just my opinions. And, we all know what's said about opinions.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:31 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Agreed. Question: is that a real rear view mirror or is that a monitor from a rear camera?
It's a monitor, you can read about it here:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gener...camera-mirror/

ImpliedConsent (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:34 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I've tried all of the fancy mirror adjustments, but I'm just too set in my ways to get used to them that way. ...snip...
That just made me laugh.

Rebel Yell (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I've tried a couple of different stick-on mirrors and eventually removed them, they cut down on the "normal" area and are distracting.

Now, I keep the mirrors set way out to the side and find it's easier to wiggle my head a little to check the small blind spot right alongside the car, than to wiggle enough to check the much bigger blind spot the C7 has even with the SAE mirror adjustment.
beaversstonehaven (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Motors5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

This is the European version mirrors that comes stock to Europe. Also with turning signal light on the side. Should fit like a glove!

Old 10-20-2018, 03:49 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

Tadge says that Corvette drivers don't need blind spot monitors nor lane assist since there is no room on the C7 for them So, that's it.. We don't need them. Paul
The following 3 users liked this post by DSOMDream:
JerryU (10-20-2018), joemessman (10-20-2018), Rebel Yell (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Motors5
This is the European version mirrors that comes stock to Europe. Also with turning signal light on the side. Should fit like a glove!

They would probably cost $500+ each, but I'd go for them.
Have you been able to look at both sizes side-by-side to compare?
In the US, only the passenger side can be convex (wide angle), but I believe in Europe they can both be convex.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:25 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
In the US, only the passenger side can be convex (wide angle), but I believe in Europe they can both be convex.
The silly old US rule says the driver's side mirror must be 1:1! Been legislation to get it changed for years but they don't have time to replace old rules- too busy getting money for the next election as soon as the get voted in!
Old 10-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

I simply drive faster than everyone else. No one sneaks up on me.

Get notified of new replies

To Blind spot mirrors????

Old 10-20-2018, 07:36 PM
gbjerke
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

I have them. About 1" high and 2" wide. Mounted in the lower right on drivers side and lower left on passenger side.
They take up little room and were dirt cheap ($3-$4)? .Auto Zone? Wal Mart?
Gives me the the view I need.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:20 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Is the electrical connection already in the wiring harness in the US model C7 that would plug into the European style mirror to operate the turn signal in the European style mirror?
Gearhead Jim (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

I've tried a couple of different stick-on mirrors and eventually removed them, they cut down on the "normal" area and are distracting.

Now, I keep the mirrors set way out to the side and find it's easier to wiggle my head a little to check the small blind spot right alongside the car, than to wiggle enough to check the much bigger blind spot the C7 has even with the SAE mirror adjustment.
When you removed the stick on mirrors that you tried how did you remove them? Heat gun? Razor blade? I once tried removing a small decal with a razor blade that I stuck on the mirror of a Pontiac Solstice I had and scratched the mirror pretty good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blind spot mirrors????