Sponsored by:

Can I track a car with a glass top?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:11 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts
Default Can I track a car with a glass top?

Anybody do this? Going to Palm Beach Int'l Raceway for the first time in November and I really want a glass top in the meantime.
What about tracking a convertible? A buddy of mine has a 2006 911 vert.
Thanks for any insight.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Depends on the organization, but most forbid convertibles without a roll bar outright. I don't think it matters if you have the plastic top or not. the halo bar is the roll over protection.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The transparent top is made of polycarbonate and should not create any issues for you at the track. Polycarbonate is used in many applications and is considered strong enough to be used as the cockpit canopy on the F-22 Raptor so I don't think you have any worries with track officials. It will remain largely intact with impacting forces that will take out the windshield, hatch, and windows.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (09-29-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 08:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Polycarbonate is used in many applications and is considered strong enough to be used as the cockpit canopy on the F-22 Raptor so I don't think you have any worries with track officials.
Well, to be fair, the Raptor's canopy is also almost an inch thick! But yes, the clear roof should be just as protective as a painted roof.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Well, to be fair, the Raptor's canopy is also almost an inch thick! But yes, the clear roof should be just as protective as a painted roof.

Have a good one,
Mike
A very good point Mike! The Raptor would also be a little faster than the Corvette GS referenced in the recent "greatest drag race" thread
Old 09-28-2017, 10:29 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys, makes sense
Old 09-28-2017, 01:43 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NSC5
A very good point Mike! The Raptor would also be a little faster than the Corvette GS referenced in the recent "greatest drag race" thread
The first 1/4 mile might be close, but after that, woo hoo!!

Threadjack for a quick story: Had 2 Raptors stop at Lockheed in Ft. Worth and depart close to dawn the next morning. Never saw so many folks at work that early! One of those thin fog layers about 20 ft thick across the runway; you can't set this up any better.

2 ship launch, level off around 50-75 ft.; at the end of the 11,000 ft. runway they both pull vertical until all you could see was 2 pairs of engines in full AB. The engines come out of AB, and you can see two dots push over into level flight.

And they immediately start showing contrails.

Still straight above the runway.

It was truly awesome.

Ok, threadjack over, back to our regularly scheduled chatter.

Have a good one,
Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteDrmr:
DWS44 (09-28-2017), NSC5 (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:15 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Nice^^^^^

OP: I tracked my little blue Vette last summer with my roof panel stowed in the back for an SCCA Track Night in America event. One track helper tried to tell me I had to have it in place, but I referred him to the SCCA rule that states that you just need have a roll bar. And the halo satisfies that requirement nicely.

It was a blast....

The following users liked this post:
fatsport (09-29-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Nice^^^^^

OP: I tracked my little blue Vette last summer with my roof panel stowed in the back for an SCCA Track Night in America event. One track helper tried to tell me I had to have it in place, but I referred him to the SCCA rule that states that you just need have a roll bar. And the halo satisfies that requirement nicely.

It was a blast....
I've been told several times in NCCC autocross that you can remove the targa top for your runs, but it must be left in the pits and not stored in the internal brackets.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That looks like the way to go.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

I was just told that if you don't have a dry sump oil system tracking the car may void the warranty. I have a Grand Sport so it is not an issue but others may want to look into this. I learn this while at the Ron Fellows school and they seemed to be on top of their game when it comes to knowledge about these cars!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Davids65
I was just told that if you don't have a dry sump oil system tracking the car may void the warranty.
It might if you had an engine problem traced to oil starvation. If you had any other type of warranty claim those should be OK. Doesn't say you won't have to argue with people, but the warranty should be honored.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I've been told several times in NCCC autocross that you can remove the targa top for your runs, but it must be left in the pits and not stored in the internal brackets.
I run with several groups and their rules are nothing in the car, even floor mats.

I'd never run with the top in the back, to me that is common sense and a safery issue.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Davids65
I was just told that if you don't have a dry sump oil system tracking the car may void the warranty. I have a Grand Sport so it is not an issue but others may want to look into this. I learn this while at the Ron Fellows school and they seemed to be on top of their game when it comes to knowledge about these cars!
Unless GM has made a change in the new owner's manuals the regular wet sump systems have the same coverage as the other models. None of them are covered for actual competitive racing but warranty coverage and prep instructions are provided for track driving and other HPDE activities.

Under some conditions the wet sump system will present an "upshift now, engine protection active" on the DIC when oil starvation is a concern due to driving conditions.

The prep for the two lubrication types differs slightly. I have a 2016 Z06 (dry sump) and it is to be kept at .5 quart above the normal full line for track use while wet sump engines are not to be temporarily overfilled.

Anyone who buys a Corvette for serious track activity will be far better served with the dry sump version but owners of the standard Stingray can still take them out for fun. The sump is baffled to control oil movement so the concern would be a series of long high G turns with no significant straights in between which likely would trigger the DIC warning in the wet sump version; with automatic equipped base Stingrays the transmission will automatically upshift into the highest gear possible for the road speed. Ignoring this message, particularly with a M7 equipped C7, could definitely result in engine damage and if you are getting this message not only upshifting but changing road course driving style is going to be needed.

Last edited by NSC5; 09-29-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:36 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

I've seen tons of people track various C5, C6, and C7s with a glass roof or with no roof on the coupe.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 09-29-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:04 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Yes, I did many times in my C6.

The groups that I've run with have a broomstick test. If you lay a broomstick on top of your car, your helmet cant touch it.

So you can run with or without it. But like others said, check with the group you're going with.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:54 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by L82Brake
Yes, I did many times in my C6.

The groups that I've run with have a broomstick test. If you lay a broomstick on top of your car, your helmet cant touch it.

So you can run with or without it. But like others said, check with the group you're going with.
Broomstick test is a good test anyway (even if not required). You never want your head to be the highest point in the car. Necks are not good roll support.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I track a car with a glass top?

Quick Reply: Can I track a car with a glass top?