PDR highlights from my first season at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:03 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
Default PDR highlights from my first season at Laguna Seca

I can feel myself getting faster as the clips go on.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

One question springs to mind. The advanced group opens up passing on the right. And anywhere on the track. This is probably a silly question, but I have no motor sport knowledge...

Generally speaking, if someone catches me at the end of a straight and I want them to pass me around the corner, I should point them by on the inside? Is this correct-ish? Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule. I imagine me pointing someone (faster) around on the right on turn 9 would be a bad idea, because if I F-up and plow wide, I will run him off the track.

Also, do you guys single or double apex turn 2?

Last edited by theplatinumog; 12-13-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
One question springs to mind. The advanced group opens up passing on the right. And anywhere on the track. This is probably a silly question, but I have no motor sport knowledge...

Generally speaking, if someone catches me at the end of a straight and I want them to pass me around the corner, I should point them by on the inside? Is this correct-ish? Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule. I imagine me pointing someone (faster) around on the right on turn 9 would be a bad idea, because if I F-up and plow wide, I will run him off the track.
Letting people pass in the braking zone is a great place for it... You should stay on the line (typically the outside) and point them by on the inside (closer to the apex). I prefer to let them by before turn-in, so I can focus on running the line through the corner... rather than trying to go wide (where the track is often not very grippy) mid-corner.

Also, do you guys single or double apex turn 2?
I single (late) apex turn 2.

Last edited by TCorzett; 12-13-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCorzett
Letting people pass in the breaking zone is a great place for it... You should stay on the line (typically the outside) and point them by on the inside (closer to the apex). I prefer to let them by before turn-in, so I can focus on running the line through the corner... rather than trying to go wide (where the track is often not very grippy) mid-corner.
And if we are the ones doing the passing on the inside, you just have to use your mirrors to know if it is okay to track out?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:55 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

And if we are the ones doing the passing on the inside, you just have to use your mirrors to know if it is okay to track out?
Yes, or not take the pass if you're uncomfortable with it.

While it's always the one who's making the pass who need to do it safely... HOD isn't about racing, so when the slower car points you by they should give-up the corner and let you pass. I know when I give a point by in a braking zone (and they've not already passed before turn-in) I will not apex the corner unless it's clear they aren't going to take the pass.

Oh, and good job just going straight-off at Turn 6 and not trying to yank the car back on track!

Last edited by TCorzett; 12-13-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:05 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCorzett
Yes, or not take the pass if you're uncomfortable with it.

While it's always the one who's making the pass who need to do it safely... HOD isn't about racing, so when the slower car points you by they need to give-up the corner and let you pass. I know when I give a point by in a braking zone (and they've not already passed before turn-in) I will not apex the corner unless it's clear they aren't going to take the pass.

Oh, and good job just going straight-off at Turn 6 and not trying to yank the car back on track!
I just want to keep the flow going while passing or being passed best I can. I gladly give up the corner, I like chasing people that are faster than me.

Thanks. That was my very first time going off. It has probably happened 3 or 4 times now. Thank God for PPF lol.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know how to do useful things with the cosworth toolbox and the PDR data file? I would be very interested in learning.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:40 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know how to do useful things with the cosworth toolbox and the PDR data file? I would be very interested in learning.
I would even pay for lessons if you are local.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

For evaluation purposes, should I post the complete laps here under the c7 section? Or take it to road race / autocross section?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Generally speaking, if someone catches me at the end of a straight and I want them to pass me around the corner, I should point them by on the inside? Is this correct-ish?
Been HPDEing since '02 and an instructor and racer with NASA Mid-Atlantic since 2010. The rule is that the passing car goes off-line. The car in front has the right to the line and drives the racing line. If you (the car being passed) deviates from this you create unpredictability on track. By holding the line the overtaking car "knows" where you'll be or at least what you're trying to do. Seen many a crash caused by the lead car trying to "get out of the way" of the overtaking car.

Great videos... was born in San Fran but have never made it back out west to do track days.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

For evaluation purposes, should I post the complete laps here under the c7 section? Or take it to road race / autocross section?
Auto-X RR section doesn't have much traffic... I have no experience on those tracks, but happy to watch the videos. If you were at VIR, Road Atlanta, Summit Point, etc. I could be of more help with detailed track analysis.

Sold my racecar 2 years ago, just got the C7 2 weeks ago and can't wait to get it on track.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Auto-X RR section doesn't have much traffic... I have no experience on those tracks, but happy to watch the videos. If you were at VIR, Road Atlanta, Summit Point, etc. I could be of more help with detailed track analysis.

Sold my racecar 2 years ago, just got the C7 2 weeks ago and can't wait to get it on track.
I think I will post it here in the c7 section as well. Or can a Mod move it over?

It's all pdr footage in a stock c7. It deserves to be here. I should have posted it here. My bad.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4078774-please-evaluate-my-track-driving.html

Get notified of new replies

To PDR highlights from my first season at Laguna Seca

Quick Reply: PDR highlights from my first season at Laguna Seca