Question On Used Wheel & Tire Price

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:04 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Default Question On Used Wheel & Tire Price

I have a 2015 Z51 coupe. I took off my factory chrome wheels & tires and replaced them with AS tires & ZO6 reproduction rims last year. I have a very hard time parting with things but I am thinking of selling the factory chrome rims, tires & sensors. They are in PERFECT condition with 7,000 easy miles on the tires. I put them back on this summer for about a month and took the car to 150 MPH to check if everything was perfect and at that speed they steering wheel was as smooth as a standing still so they retained the balance as they should have. The tires were never off the wheels as I bought a set of new wheels, sensors and tires. Any idea what would be a fair price locally. How about if I split them up and sell them as singles to people that has curbed a wheel etc. Like I said I hate to sell things and would not mind parting with them one at a time if it brought a better price. Thanks folks.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I like to make sure that when I sell my car the next owner gets stock parts not aftermarket repro parts. If I was planning on never using the stock tires I would transfer the AS tires to the stock wheels and sell the repro rims and tires separately. Selling them separately may bring down shipping costs so people are willing to purchase them.

As a used car purchaser I would be pissed if I bought what looked like a nice well taken care of used car and found out afterward the rims were cheapo repros. They are sometimes hard to detect until removed from the car.

Bill
Old 09-23-2017, 03:34 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I like to make sure that when I sell my car the next owner gets stock parts not aftermarket repro parts. If I was planning on never using the stock tires I would transfer the AS tires to the stock wheels and sell the repro rims and tires separately. Selling them separately may bring down shipping costs so people are willing to purchase them.

As a used car purchaser I would be pissed if I bought what looked like a nice well taken care of used car and found out afterward the rims were cheapo repros. They are sometimes hard to detect until removed from the car.

Bill

I was looking for a fair price that's all. I perfer the Z06 rims to the stock Z51 rims. People complain about after market wheels and I used to be one of them. A real wheel snob.
Have a set of C6 ZR1 repo rims on my C5 for seven years and they are still perfect in every way. All the OEM rims are cast and made either Taiwan or some other God awful place so I don't think they are much if any better that repo rims made in China. Now if they were forged like my early 2000 Corvette than I could see the difference. If someone buys a 2015 Z51 Corvette and doesn't know the Z06 rims on the car are aftermarket they need help. Also at my age the car will probably go after I am dead so if it's a problem it's not going to be mine. For me the only reason I would need the stock rims are if I trade the car.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP, I have painted rims. On and off, I've considered buying chrome Z51 wheels. The wheels alone range from $800 to $1500. Yes, some ask more, good luck getting it.
With tires, I saw a beautiful set go with the wheels for around $2250. They went fast. In my opinion, once you get above $3K you've got to find someone who is looking for exactly what you have. That's just my opinion. Too bad you're up in RI, if you were closer to NC, I'd be very interested depending on price.
EDIT: You need to inspect the wheels carefully. Any evidence of pitting or peeling and the value goes down, fast.

Last edited by roadbike56; 09-23-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,207 Likes on 3,453 Posts

I understand keeping things (I've got the OEMs and crappola runflats off my 2001 in a shed). Have you checked ebay and Craigslist for such for comparison? Just a thought. All the best.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

roadbike56 When I said perfect I mean it. When I last took them off last month I cleaned them really well and so I got to see every inch of the wheels. I remember when looking for 18" wheels for my 05 GTO and I informed everyone I called that the wheels had to be PERFECT. After a few hundred mile drives (one way) I was getting really pissed to see wheels with bad curb rash etc. I was not looking for a bargain and could not have been more clear that they had to be perfect. When looking at something to buy I usually just say I am not interested but after a couple of long rides I really took it out on the last guy. Like, why the f*** don't you understand about perfect? Rears had slicks still on them and the spokes were very scratched along with bad road rash.

Avanti: I just got rid of my 2000 polished wheels with runcraps last year. Had been sitting on them for 17 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Question On Used Wheel & Tire Price

Quick Reply: Question On Used Wheel & Tire Price