Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Performance Data Recorder Settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a "delete all" function on the info screen for this... or a way to select multiple sessions for delete?

If there is, I haven't found it.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:21 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

You press the unicorn button....
Old 09-28-2017, 06:18 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

It has been well established that the time limit for one long continuous PDR video recording is 100 minutes.

So...if you'll be driving for more than 100 minutes with the PDR recording the drive and without stopping the car, restarting it, and also restarting the PDR, then set an alarm for about 90 minutes to alert you to stop and then immediately restart recording.

The following 2 users liked this post by BEZ06:
Mike Mercury (09-29-2017), Walt White Coupe (09-28-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Resonator
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

The time limit for the PDR files is due to the FAT32 format, who's 32 bit configuration only allows for files up to 4GB in size. This typically works out to a recording time of 1 hour, 39 minutes, and some seconds (or just over 99 minutes). The exact length varies by a few seconds due to each file being slightly different based on the amount of data and the complexity of the compressed video it contains. The recording will shut off automatically not at a specific time, but upon reaching the 4GB file size limit, although the two are closely related.

Unfortunately, there is no "little red light" to tell you when the system is recording, and the system issues no notice when it stops recording. If you want to keep recording beyond 1:39 with minimal interruption, you will need to set the alarm on your phone, or something else to remind you to stop and restart the video before 1:39 has elapsed. Don't be fooled by the displayed total record time available number. While technically correct as a total, the file size limitation remains. Regardless of the amount of free space on the SD card, I have never had an individual file reach 1:40 before silently stoping recording. (Causing me to miss somethings I wish I had recorded on more than one occasion.)

I have no clue who the software engineer who designed the PDR interface is, but they did a pretty rough job, as it's fairly user unfriendly. I'm not really bothered by the file size limit, as much as I am about the way the system handles it, or more accurately fails to handle it. (FAT32 is one of the most interchangeable data device formats, so I get why they used it.) Among the obvious problems are that there is no real auto-start, there is a total lack of any warning about the recording stopping, plus there is no option to simply keep on recording by closing out one file when it reaches the size limit and then automatically starting a new one. GM may claim their lawyers made them not have auto start or continue modes due to privacy laws, (a problem which could be easily addressed with an acknowledge soft button) but that still doesn't explain the complete lack of any form of warning when ending a recording?

Interestingly, the Cosworth Toolbox program itself is a 32-bit app, which is also very backwards compatible, but ancient history at the same time. (The first 64 bit Widows OS was released back in 1999) This means that the 4GB file limit is built into the Toolbox software as well. Overall with the PDR system, there seems to be a bigger emphasis on broad compatibility than on utilizing newer features. Why Cosworth think this is important is beyond me, as people who operate high performance sports cars and race cars very likely can not only afford recent computers with 64 bit operating systems, but almost certainly already have them. I'm all for backwards compatibility, but this seems like pushing it to an unnecessary extreme. (Those whacky Brits!)
The following users liked this post:
mountainears (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 12:13 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the correction (and I missed it earlier), I was saying 2 GB limit, but it is indeed 4 GB.

Quick Reply: Question: Performance Data Recorder Settings