Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 06:04 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
The Magnuson Heart beat is the way to go, assuming $$ is not the issue , lighter, coooler only stick s up 1”3/4. Over stock engine ...
How much does the maggie weigh? It has to be about the same as the E force, which has no cooling issues. Id say my E force is less then 1 3/4" over the stock intake.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 09-27-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
What kind of engine and driveline mods do you need to handle all of the extra power?
From what I understand, nothing. The Edelbrock system pretty much replicates the Z06 output and the gearbox and diff is the same on the Grand Sport and I believe on the Stingray.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Regarding the weight.... the installed unit is 80 pounds on top of your motor. The stock intake weighs about 5-7 pounds. The added weight will lower your front end a bit so consider an alignment after the install.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Regarding the weight.... the installed unit is 80 pounds on top of your motor. The stock intake weighs about 5-7 pounds. The added weight will lower your front end a bit so consider an alignment after the install.
Yeah the head unit is around 75lbs. But there is also the added weight of the heat exchanger, tensioner, pullies, coolant, ect.. all in all comes in a little over 100 lbs total. The weight lowered my front end about 3/16". I've installed the E Force on my car and another on a friends, getting an alignment after is over kill IMO. Its a great kit, anyone who goes with it will be very happy with the quality and performance.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:14 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

None required.

What kind of engine and driveline mods do you need to handle all of the extra power?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:01 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
Have you thought about giving Doug from ECS a call. He’s in/near Jackson which is only about an hour away from you. He’d probably have the answers to all your questions and could do the install as well as a custom tune for you.
Thanks, good to know. But since you, Corvette4Ever, and BBrown, brought it up, I started to research some of the other SC mentioned in the thread and started to compare them.

Edelbrock - $7,599.98 revised Dry Sump w/Tune. 626HP. Intercooler. Twin screw design. 3 year driveline warranty.

Magnuson - $7,795.00 Dry sump no tune found. 630 HP. Dual intercooler. Looks like the same design as the Edelbrock. No need to cut hood liner. Requires front bumper to be popped off, removal of the FR wheel well, front splitter and deflector panels, and some drilling of holes to pass lines. 3 year driveline warranty.

ECS - $5.499.00 Dry sump no tune found. 600HP. Intercooler. Design is different than the above as it uses a SC in front of the engine and plumbs into the stock intake and manifold. Lots of cutting to fit the intercooler, MAF, and WP has to be machined. No warranty found.

From what I see from my cursory investigation, emphasis on cursory, Edelbrock offers the most inclusive kit with the least amount of cutting and parts removal. At least that is what I saw on the All Girls Garage lol. Magnuson appears to the be the best if not just because it is priced higher than the rest. But I do like the dual intercooler design and not having to cut my extra cost optioned GS hoodliner. But it does appear that there is a lot of body panel removal. ECS has a completely different approach and requires a lot of cutting things apart which is something I could do, but would hate doing so. But the lack of Tuning for the last two has me concerned. Both instruction manuals indicate that after installation a professional tune must be applied or serious engine damage will result. So, does that mean I have to get it towed to a tuner?

So here is my thought process. Edelbrock offers the closest to a plug and play system. Magnuson seems to be the best and most well thought out, but no tune. ECS seems more complicated, but they are an hour away from me and I could just have them install the unit and then tune it, but not really confident or like their set up. So, what do you guys think? Am I misinformed or missing information? Still a bit up in the air.

Last edited by Gearbox22; 09-29-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by ///ADMAN:
CFD E59 (01-15-2023), Gearbox22 (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 04:43 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Default A&a

Originally Posted by Gearbox22
Thanks, good to know. But since you, Corvette4Ever, and BBrown, brought it up, I started to research some of the other SC mentioned in the thread and started to compare them.

Edelbrock - $5,959.98 Dry Sump w/Tune. 626HP. Intercooler. Twin screw design. 3 year driveline warranty.

does a

Magnuson - $7,795.00 Dry sump no tune found. 630 HP. Dual intercooler. Looks like the same design as the Edelbrock. No need to cut hood liner. Requires front bumper to be popped off, removal of the FR wheel well, front splitter and deflector panels, and some drilling of holes to pass lines. 3 year driveline warranty.

ECS - $5.499.00 Dry sump no tune found. 600HP. Intercooler. Design is different than the above as it uses a SC in front of the engine and plumbs into the stock intake and manifold. Lots of cutting to fit the intercooler, MAF, and WP has to be machined. No warranty found.

From what I see from my cursory investigation, emphasis on cursory, Edelbrock offers the most inclusive kit with the least amount of cutting and parts removal. At least that is what I saw on the All Girls Garage lol. Magnuson appears to the be the best if not just because it is priced higher than the rest. But I do like the dual intercooler design and not having to cut my extra cost optioned GS hoodliner. But it does appear that there is a lot of body panel removal. ECS has a completely different approach and requires a lot of cutting things apart which is something I could do, but would hate doing so. But the lack of Tuning for the last two has me concerned. Both instruction manuals indicate that after installation a professional tune must be applied or serious engine damage will result. So, does that mean I have to get it towed to a tuner?

So here is my thought process. Edelbrock offers the closest to a plug and play system. Magnuson seems to be the best and most well thought out, but no tune. ECS seems more complicated, but they are an hour away from me and I could just have them install the unit and then tune it, but not really confident or like their set up. So, what do you guys think? Am I misinformed or missing information? Still a bit up in the air.
Does any of the above kits require the removal of the aux transmission cooler and replace it with the inter cooler? The '16 and up A8 have aux transmission coolers and none of the above kits show this.

Last edited by 9157; 09-29-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9157
Does any of the above kits require the remioval of the tranmimission cooler and replace it with the inter cooler? The '16 and up A8 have transmission coolers and none of the above kits show this.
None of the instruction manuals indicate the removal of any other radiators. The Edelbrock seems to be fitted in nose right in front of the Radiator, I'm a bit unclear about the Magnuson, but it looks like it's in the nose as well and comes in two parts that mate together to ease installation, and the ECS unit is directly behind and inline with the front splitter which requires you to cut a hole in the deflector panel under your car and reposition those 3 air deflectors that always scrape going up and down driveways in order to re direct the airflow into the intercooler. Clever way of using existing parts but the location seems a bit vulnerable to damage.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Gearbox22; 09-29-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Anyone install an Edelbrock themselves?

Want to get some feedback from those that installed the Edelbrock Stage 1 themselves in their garage. I want to make sure I am not biting off more than I could chew if I decide to do this.

I supercharged a C4 with a Procharger back in the day.

I have a Quick Jack and lots of tools. I watched that eposode of All Girls Garage, but we all know they have unlimited help.

So my questions are:
  • How many days did it take you?
  • What was the toughest part?
  • Did you find you needed any special tools?
  • What extra goodies did you find you needed to complete the install to your satisfaction?
  • Did you need a 2nd person for anything? (no helpers here)
  • Would you install it yourself again or next time let a professional do it, or not do it at all?

Any other useful feedback regarding your own install would be greatly appreciated.

I could have a local experienced well recognized performance shop do the install but what fun is that?

Last edited by Flame Red; 09-29-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Would these overheat on a track day like a z06, or is this a better setup?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Would these overheat on a track day like a z06, or is this a better setup?
From everything I have learned so far and all the people I have spoken with that have first hand knowledge or directly from the manufacturers, the answer appears to be no for overheating and yes, it is a better system. Like I had mentioned, I spoke with the Edelbrock guys at length at the Carlisle Corvette Show this past summer and they believed the overheating on the Z06 is caused by the stock SC which they say is inadequate for the application. As a result, it tends to heat soak the engine thus tripping the CEL and putting the car in limp mode. The system they use has more vanes and larger, so more efficient and less heat on the track and off. Before I bought my car, I did a lot of research on the car and outside of paint flaws, the two most prevalent problematic issues with the car appeared to be the A8 transmission and the overheating of the Z06 which dissuaded me from buying either. And from what I see from Youtube videos, it's not just on the track, but also on 85 degree days in traffic or spirited driving on the street. Not sure how much of this is true nor to what extent, but there is a class action lawsuit against GM now. I must assume where there is smoke there most likely is a fire. I also spoke with a few people that went to Ron Fellows early on and had the Z06's, and in the 110 degree desert heat, their cars were being sidelined after 4 laps, and then having to watch all the fellows in the GS or Stingrays finish the session with their AC on. The people I know who tracks their Z06 have all upgraded their cooling systems which seems to eliminate the issue. But as for these aftermarket SC, I have yet to hear one problem of overheating.

Last edited by Gearbox22; 09-29-2017 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
spinkick (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

None of the instruction manuals indicate the removal of any other radiators. The Edelbrock seems to be fitted in nose right in front of the Radiator, I'm a bit unclear about the Magnuson, but it looks like it's in the nose as well and comes in two parts that mate together to ease installation, and the ECS unit is directly behind and inline with the front splitter which requires you to cut a hole in the deflector panel under your car and reposition those 3 air deflectors that always scrape going up and down driveways in order to re direct the airflow into the intercooler. Clever way of using existing parts but the location seems a bit vulnerable to damage.
picture 4 is the location of the transmission cooler; the A&A supercharger requires removal of the transmission cooler. I believe The heartbeat does as well.

Last edited by 9157; 09-29-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:12 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flame Red

So my questions are:
  • What extra goodies did you find you needed to complete the install to your satisfaction?
  • Would you install it yourself again or next time let a professional do it, or not do it at all?

Any other useful feedback regarding your own install would be greatly appreciated.

I could have a local experienced well recognized performance shop do the install but what fun is that?
1.Id say it took a total of 14 hours, that was spent over 2 days.
2.I found figuring out how to released some of the clips/locks the electrical connections annoying..lol
3.You will need, a harmonic balancer puller, foot/inch lb torque wrenchs, what held me up for a while was you'll need an LS engine type balancer install tool, the threads in the crank start very deep- Summit sells it. Also need a flywheel holding tool.
4. Edelbrocks directions/pictures are very detailed
5. I had a friend install it with me, was a huge help. Most can be done alone but you'll definitely need a had dropping the blower on, its like 70lbs.
6. I'd do it again, its always easier the next time.. I'd wait for Spring next time, froze in my garage last time it was 24 degrees.

*** As far as overheating, ive had no issues. The 1.74 Zo6 blower has to spin a lot faster then the 2.3 Edelbrock. So thats a big reason the E force doesnt have over heating issues in comparison to the LT4 blower.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 09-29-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

picture 4 is the location of the transmission cooler; the A&A supercharger requires removal of the transmission cooler. I believe The heartbeat does as well.
According to the installation manual for the ECS kit, pic 4 is of the intercooler. I went over the manuals for the ECS and Magnuson and there was no mention of removing the transmission oil cooler. And isn't the transmission oil cooler on our cars located in the quarter behind the rear left wheel? What am I missing here?
Attached Images   
Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Want to get some feedback from those that installed the Edelbrock Stage 1 themselves in their garage. I want to make sure I am not biting off more than I could chew if I decide to do this.

I supercharged a C4 with a Procharger back in the day.

I have a Quick Jack and lots of tools. I watched that eposode of All Girls Garage, but we all know they have unlimited help.

So my questions are:

I did the Magnuson on my 2016 Z51 in my garage. Very similar to Edelbrock. I didn't go with the secondary drive so didn't need to pull/change the crank pulley. I hear it's not too bad to do anyway but as someone already mentioned, get the right puller!

2.5 days; working 10-12 hours per day.
Needed someone to help lower it into the valley. Toughest part!
No special tools. It came with the tool to remove the fuel line.
Guess I would do it again but if there's a local certified installer I would probably consider it for the power train warranty.
If you do it yourself, you should eventually get it dyno'd. Mine was only at 1/3 the HP that it should have been. Magnuson sent me a second tune.
The only thing extra I added was temp sensors on the intercooler's hoses.

HTH,
Pj
Old 09-29-2017, 02:18 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

I have not had any overheating issues on track days, nor while dealing with THIS during the summer

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock Supercharger

Old 09-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

According to the installation manual for the ECS kit, pic 4 is of the intercooler. I went over the manuals for the ECS and Magnuson and there was no mention of removing the transmission oil cooler. And isn't the transmission oil cooler on our cars located in the quarter behind the rear left wheel? What am I missing here?
2016 and newer have an auxiliary transmission cooler that must be eliminated to accommodate the intercooler.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:12 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

2016 and newer have an auxiliary transmission cooler that must be eliminated to accommodate the intercooler.
Welp, no ECS then.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:57 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Here's the thread to my install - if that helps you any

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ery-truck.html
The following 2 users liked this post by ///ADMAN:
Gearbox22 (10-01-2017), Zap City (10-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Supercharger