Sponsored by:

Base Stingray Order allocations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Base Stingray Order allocations

This is an update to my previous post where no one responded to the affirmative that their ordering dealer had received an allocation for a post-plant upgrade base Stingray order.

I spoke with my dealer, which is MacMulkin this morning. They confirmed my suspicion that only allocations for ZO6, GS and specialty models such as Carbon 65 have been released. No allocations for base Stingray expected to be released until the end of October or beginning of November.

Based on my 15 August order, I am looking at late January or early February delivery. Semper Gumby!

If anyone has any more insight, please post it.

Last edited by Frosty; 10-03-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Popular Reply

10-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
Sure wish someone would take the time to put together a written primer which details the ordering process starting with a customer placing a deposit and ending with when the order is accepted by GM and one gets to track progress using the dealer's order tracking system. For me, the last few days have been incomprehensible either by intent, process complexity, or my own inability to break the code. I am still not clear on:

When a customer makes an order, does the dealership pass on the order request to GM, or does the dealership wait for GM to query as it now sounds like "GM PULLED" is the latter situation? Is this "GM PULLED" unpredictable?

How can "CONSTRAINTS" potentially impact the ordering process and are there implications that should be articulated and understood by the customer before they make a decision to place an order?

Are there some specific calendar date ranges when "ALLOCATIONS" are bestowed to the dealership by GM or is that totally up in the air?

Can allocations be used to order any model or configuration or are there different allocations for each model?

Does the processing of orders vary from dealer to dealer or is it strictly by allocation earned the previous year? In other words are some dealers more equal than others in getting their orders "pulled"?

If a customer cannot be given an estimated time-frame for when their order will reach those comforting status reporting codes of 1100/2000, then IMHO, at least the customer should be given the opportunity to at least understand why their order seems to languish in a "no-status to report" state for seven weeks while orders placed later show forward progress.

A pre-order acceptance primer either on this forum as a sticky or online at dealers would really be helpful, even if it only helps the purchaser to understand the challenges that dealerships face and why things can be so uncertain at times. Just a recommendation for those clueless people like me.
Let me try to answer some of your questions. You're not going to like this, but things actually vary by dealer.

Some dealers will input your order into GM's order system as soon as you specify exactly what you want and put down your deposit (if they require a deposit). As soon as your order is entered into GM's order system, they can give you your order number. Your order will sit at 1100 until the dealer gets an allocation that allows all of your options/colors/etc.

On the other hand, some dealers will not enter an order into the GM system until they actually have an allocation to which they can assign your order.

Makes no difference which method your dealer uses, as nothing will happen to your order until that all important allocation is matched to your order (this matching is done by the dealer).

Allocations are normally communicated to dealers on Thursday along with the nationwide constraints. The dealers allocations will specify exactly how many of what, with which constraints, they have available to them. Dealers have a couple of days (not sure precisely on this, it may be Saturday) to assign their orders to their allocations. This entire process is known as a consensus cycle.

Once your order is assigned to an allocation, your order will progress to 2000 by the following Tuesday. Once you are at 2000, you have past the whole allocation/constraint hurdle and you are on your way to having your car built.

Allocations have a TPW (Targeted Production Week) associated with them (the constraint reports show this TPW), but this is just an early estimate of the TPW. Your TPW will become more firm as you progress to somewhere in the 3000 range (again, I'm not sure the precise status that the TPW becomes fairly stable). TPW's are always on Monday's and it represents the best estimate as to which week your car will be built (sometime during the week that starts that Monday). Actual build dates can differ from the TPW. During start-up, it is likely that the TPWs will slip somewhat. When things are humming along, the actual build date can occur the week prior to the TPW.

Constraints can definitely impact the order process. First of all, you need to understand that constraints are given as the % of the particular vehicles nationwide will be allowed to have that particular option during that consensus cycle. For the sake of an example, let's pretend that Torch Red Stingrays are constrained at 10%. Nationwide, only 10% of all Stingray models will be allowed to be ordered with Torch Red. The percentage at any given dealer can vary from that nationwide average. A low volume dealer that only gets 3 or 4 allocations in a consensus cycle can't get .3 or .4 Stingrays that allow Torch Red, so they probably get zero. Do that nationwide and you can see that there are "extra" Torch Reds available. These typically go to the larger dealers so they may wind up with 28% or 30% or however the overall math works out.

Given the combination of allocations (how many of what each dealer gets per cycle) and constraints (what has limited availability) change weekly (sometimes less frequently, but let's just stick with weekly), a dealer really doesn't know what they are going to have next week. So, they really can't tell you how long it might take to get your specific car assigned to an allocation. In addition, dealers might have a waiting list of customers and your order within that list will also impact the process.

Hopefully, from this description you can see that:
  1. There are definite advantages to working with the large dealers because they will have larger numbers of allocations and will likely be less impacted by constraints.
  2. The process is fairly complicated and I have actually simplified it somewhat, and nobody has a crystal ball to know what the next week will bring.
  3. Many dealers (excluding our forum dealers) will not openly discuss allocations and constraints because if they do you are likely to take your business elsewhere.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

That doesn't seem to agree with the last constraint update, but MacMulkin should know what they are talking about. New allocations/constraints will be released Thursday. Target Production Week for last week's allocations was Dec 18 and the plant is going to be shutdown for 2 weeks around Christmas/New Years. I wouldn't be surprised if the next allocations had a TPW in January.

Constraint Report - September 28th for December 18th TPW
Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That doesn't seem to agree with the last constraint update, but MacMulkin should know what they are talking about. New allocations/constraints will be released Thursday. Target Production Week for last week's allocations was Dec 18 and the plant is going to be shutdown for 2 weeks around Christmas/New Years. I wouldn't be surprised if the next allocations had a TPW in January.

Constraint Report - September 28th for December 18th TPW
I don't know how to interpret the constraint report at link. Can you tell me what it all means?

MacMulkin did mention the Christmas break to me. I missed a late afternoon call from MacMulkin and am returning it tomorrow morning. Maybe they will have some more information.

They indicated that their dealership now has some allocations for the Carbon 65 edition, but those are all GS or ZO6.

Last edited by Frosty; 10-03-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Maybe this is why my salesman hasn't called me yet to say I have a TPW! When I last spoke with him I am pretty sure he told me that he had allocation for 12 cars right away and I believe he said 5 were for Stingrays and 7 were for Z06s (or possibly it was the other way around). But maybe that changed after we spoke and GM decided not to build anything but Zs and GSs at first (although it's still strange that this info doesn't show up on a constraint report)

Even though I don't have a TPW for my car, I don't know of anyone who ordered after me (Sept 5th) that has a TPW yet either, everyone with TPWs so far seem to be those that ordered before September.

I'm actually not panicking here though, as I do feel getting my car built well into January would work out better, it gives me the best chance of the car being painted in the new facility and it also puts my delivery date closer to the spring time instead of being right at the beginning of winter.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know how to interpret the constraint report at link. Can you tell me what it all means?

MacMulkin did mention the Christmas break to me. I missed a late afternoon call from MacMulkin and am returning it tomorrow morning. Maybe they will have some more information.

They indicated that their dealership now has some allocations for the Carbon 65 edition, but those are all GS or ZO6.
The constraint report indicates options that have limited availability. So, sing last weeks constraint report, there are NO carbon edition GS or Z06 available. No matter how many allocations a dealer might have for GSs, they could not assign an order that included the carbon edition to an allocation. What is does not tell us is how many allocations were available nationwide or for any particular dealer.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
The constraint report indicates options that have limited availability. So, sing last weeks constraint report, there are NO carbon edition GS or Z06 available. No matter how many allocations a dealer might have for GSs, they could not assign an order that included the carbon edition to an allocation. What is does not tell us is how many allocations were available nationwide or for any particular dealer.
I now understand the disconnect.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Just spoke with my dealership this morning who indicated that GM is currently in the process of doing what is called an "allocation sweep" which I believe is their process for identifying orders by model, and accepting them.

I now believe that I will get a TPW in December for an order I placed in my dealer first come first submitted que on August 15th

I perceive this allocation and order acceptance process as very fluid from week to week.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Just spoke with my dealership this morning who indicated that GM is currently in the process of doing what is called an "allocation sweep" which I believe is their process for identifying orders by model, and accepting them.

I now believe that I will get a TPW in December for an order I placed in my dealer first come first submitted que on August 15th

I perceive this allocation and order acceptance process as very fluid from week to week.
There are plenty of threads on this, you can read them while you're waiting

Good luck with the new car! The waiting is the hardest part.
The following users liked this post:
Frosty (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
The waiting is the hardest part.
Both me and Tom Petty agree with that!

When do dealers find out the TPW for ordered cars? Can it come at any time or is it one specific day every week?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patman
Both me and Tom Petty agree with that!

When do dealers find out the TPW for ordered cars? Can it come at any time or is it one specific day every week?
Tom Petty just died the other day. Think he was only 66
Old 10-04-2017, 11:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Interesting, a large forum dealer would know.

Been following discounts since I ordered my Grand Sport ~5 months ago from Kerbeck when they were plentiful! As expected might occur, Kerbeck had lowered Grand Sport discounts to ~5% in that time period. Why not if you could not get delivery until November! They typically sell total of 25/week of all Vettes. They probably just check inventory (~200 GSs at the time the factory stopped production) and see when you might run out!
Set prices so you have a few when delivery starts! That is what I would do! When you are the largest volume Vette dealer (~1200/year) you get the most allocations!

They now have ~100 GS coupes in stock and depending on options, discounts are ~8% for 2017 and 2018s in stock. Not near where they were 5 months ago but better! Did not check base, manual, 1LT cheap prices and discounts.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-04-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 AM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Interesting, a large forum dealer would know.

Been following discounts since I ordered my Grand Sport ~5 months ago from Kerbeck when they were plentiful! As expected might occur, Kerbeck had lowered Grand Sport discounts to ~5% in that time period. Why not if you could not get delivery until November! They typically sell total of 25/week of all Vettes. They probably just check inventory (~200 GSs at the time the factory stopped production) and see when you might run out!
Set prices so you have a few when delivery starts! That is what I would do!

They now have ~100 GS coupes in stock and depending on options, discounts are ~8% for 2017 and 2018s in stock. Not near where they were 5 months ago but better! Did not check base, manual, 1LT cheap prices and discounts.
I would expect Kerbeck to get the first cars out of the new plant assembly this December. Curious as to how much the paint will improve.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

This is an update to my previous post where no one responded to the affirmative that their ordering dealer had received an allocation for a post-plant upgrade base Stingray order.

I spoke with my dealer, which is MacMulkin this morning. They confirmed my suspicion that only allocations for ZO6, GS and specialty models such as Carbon 65 have been released. No allocations for base Stingray expected to be released until the end of October or beginning of November.

Based on my 15 August order, I am looking at late January or early February delivery. Semper Gumby!

If anyone has any more insight, please post it.
We've had no problem with allocations. In fact, we've had base Stingrays place every week for the last 3 weeks.

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
Frosty (10-04-2017), Skid Row Joe (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
We've had no problem with allocations. In fact, we've had base Stingrays place every week for the last 3 weeks.

Dave
Blows my perception away!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy
I would expect Kerbeck to get the first cars out of the new plant assembly this December. Curious as to how much the paint will improve.
Start up of the new paint shop will be even slower than the new production process. Supposedly they will introduce the new paint shop by color and not all colors at once.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:39 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Glad I picked up my '18 11 Aug. Paint is excellent, Torch Red, so will be interested to see what the "new and improved" paint shop will turn out. May well be better, but not worth waiting for 5 months to get it, imo.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:38 PM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Mike,

You spoke to Mark yesterday. You spoke to Nichole yesterday and you spoke to her this morning. Your order was placed today for your base Stingray.

What Mark did tell you, was that GM ONLY PULLED a Carbon 65 order from us yesterday which happened to be a Z06.

That was it. We are not having allocation issues....

Corvette Sales & Incentives

The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (10-04-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Base Stingray Order allocations

Old 10-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Another rumor thread slapped down with facts.....

Thx, Kerbeck and MacMulkin#
Old 10-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Sure wish someone would take the time to put together a written primer which details the ordering process starting with a customer placing a deposit and ending with when the order is accepted by GM and one gets to track progress using the dealer's order tracking system. For me, the last few days have been incomprehensible either by intent, process complexity, or my own inability to break the code. I am still not clear on:

When a customer makes an order, does the dealership pass on the order request to GM, or does the dealership wait for GM to query as it now sounds like "GM PULLED" is the latter situation? Is this "GM PULLED" unpredictable?

How can "CONSTRAINTS" potentially impact the ordering process and are there implications that should be articulated and understood by the customer before they make a decision to place an order?

Are there some specific calendar date ranges when "ALLOCATIONS" are bestowed to the dealership by GM or is that totally up in the air?

Can allocations be used to order any model or configuration or are there different allocations for each model?

Does the processing of orders vary from dealer to dealer or is it strictly by allocation earned the previous year? In other words are some dealers more equal than others in getting their orders "pulled"?

If a customer cannot be given an estimated time-frame for when their order will reach those comforting status reporting codes of 1100/2000, then IMHO, at least the customer should be given the opportunity to at least understand why their order seems to languish in a "no-status to report" state for seven weeks while orders placed later show forward progress.

A pre-order acceptance primer either on this forum as a sticky or online at dealers would really be helpful, even if it only helps the purchaser to understand the challenges that dealerships face and why things can be so uncertain at times. Just a recommendation for those clueless people like me.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

I can supply you with a time line of sorts , when I ordered my car. It took 24 hrs. from the time I told my dealer to order the car till Dearborn picked up the order. It was less than a week till B/G picked up the order from Dearborn . Next processing the order depends on parts in house or constraints. These time periods are fluid with no definite time line. In my case, the car sat in B/G for a period of time after being built, because in part it was being transported by train to the west coast, plus inspection time.

Quick Reply: Base Stingray Order allocations