Let's Talk Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Default Let's Talk Lifts

I'm starting to do my home work on car lifts. I found one that I think will work for me . It made by American Custom Lifts, the model I'm thinking about is a M1-6.5 SINGLE POST Parking Lift. I have a 2 car garage with steps coming from house into garage. I believe a 4 post lift or a 2 post would be too large . 4 post or 2 post would not leave enough room for wife's SUV. Right now when parking 17 GS and Acadia next to each other there is around 6 inches between vehicles. I will have to raise my garage ceiling ,which not a problem attic above garage. Current ceiling height is 10'4 and garage floor is not in great shape so planning on redoing floor which will allow me to make sure I have right psi and thickness of concrete. Does anyone on forum have this lift ? If so like and dislikes. Thoughts about lifts in general welcome. Tried talking wife in to third garage and let's just say that's NOT likely. She doesn't want to lose backyard space. Thanks, Dave

www.americancustomlifts.com
Attached Images  

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 10-04-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:03 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Sp6000 loft American made, great lift!
The following 2 users liked this post by chefcg1:
Borntorun04/17 (10-04-2017), tomtoro (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 06:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
I'm starting to do my home work on car lifts. I found one that I think will work for me . It made by American Custom Lifts, the model I'm thinking about is a M1-6.5 SINGLE POST Parking Lift. I have a 2 car garage with steps coming from house into garage. I believe a 4 post lift or a 2 post would be too large . 4 post or 2 post would not leave enough room for wife's SUV. Right now when parking 17 GS and Acadia next to each other there is around 6 inches between vehicles. I will have to raise my garage ceiling ,which not a problem attic above garage. Current ceiling height is 10'4 and garage floor is not in great shape so planning on redoing floor which will allow me to make sure I have right psi and thickness of concrete. Does anyone on forum have this lift ? If so like and dislikes. Thoughts about lifts in general welcome. Tried talking wife in to third garage and let's just say that's NOT likely. She doesn't want to lose backyard space. Thanks, Dave

www.americancustomlifts.com
You can just cut a hole in ceiling to only cover the part of the roof of the car. I have seen this in a few and looks good plus cheaper than cutting a really big hole. The only thing I don't like about that lift if something goes wrong your car will be toast.

If it calls for 4 inch of concrete I would have 6 inch's down. Plus make sure it has a safety lock on it if it is up it will only drop like less than a inch then it is locked into place.

I look at these but my garage only had 4 inch so I went with a 4post lift now can put a car on top all the time. But for just to like play around up & down with doing small jobs I think this would be great.. Robert
The following users liked this post:
Borntorun04/17 (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chefcg1

Sp6000 loft American made, great lift!
Thanks for picture with info of dealer etc. When your lift is all the way up how much clearance do you have I need a minimum of 75 inches for pickup or 71 for Acadia underneath. Thanks, Dave

Originally Posted by robert miller
You can just cut a hole in ceiling to only cover the part of the roof of the car. I have seen this in a few and looks good plus cheaper than cutting a really big hole. The only thing I don't like about that lift if something goes wrong your car will be toast.

If it calls for 4 inch of concrete I would have 6 inch's down. Plus make sure it has a safety lock on it if it is up it will only drop like less than a inch then it is locked into place.

I look at these but my garage only had 4 inch so I went with a 4post lift now can put a car on top all the time. But for just to like play around up & down with doing small jobs I think this would be great.. Robert
I'm sure I read that lift has safety lock but will double check . I was thinking of sorta the same thing about size of opening . Thinking I could have half of ceiling raised up. Regarding concrete thought about going a foot deep were base of lift tower would be. Once I figure out brand / model figured I talk to installer regarding depth of concrete. Thanks ,Dave

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 10-04-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:51 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks for picture with info of dealer etc. When your lift is all the way up how much clearance do you have I need a minimum of 75 inches for pickup or 71 for Acadia underneath. Thanks, Dave

I'm sure I read that lift has safety lock but will double check . I was thinking of sorta the same ting about size of opening . Thinking I could have half of ceiling raised up. Regarding concrete thought about going a foot deep were base of lift tower would be. Once I figure out brand / model figured I talk to installer regarding depth of concrete. Thanks ,Dave
It’s not my lift , but my best friends. He parks his land rover under it. He is 6’5” and he barely hits his head under it if the back ramps aren’t pushed in.hope that helps.
Borntorun04/17 (10-04-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm starting to do my home work on car lifts. I found one that I think will work for me . It made by American Custom Lifts, the model I'm thinking about is a M1-6.5 SINGLE POST Parking Lift. I have a 2 car garage with steps coming from house into garage. I believe a 4 post lift or a 2 post would be too large . 4 post or 2 post would not leave enough room for wife's SUV.
Not sure I understand, are you saying you are going to park something on the lift, something under the lift AND still have to park your wife's SUV beside the other two?

If you have room to raise the ceiling have you considered a 4 post, double car lift? ( ie https://advantagelifts.us/SXS-10000-Four-Post-Lift ).

I'm not knocking a single post lift, but I've never used one that lifted from the side (only the commercial shop air over hydraulic style where the post is centered).

If that's not what your concern was I apologize for cluttering up your thread.

If you are looking for another brand, advantage has a single post as well.

I know of them as I did the research for my father when he was looking, I didn't find them till after he bought (bought it at one of the larger car shows in Phoenix), turns out to be a better lift than the brands he had asked me to check out.

I like their directions and assembly videos as well.

No, I don't work for them, nor do I get any compensation for posting this.
Borntorun04/17 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Is the price in line with the Bendpak 4 post lift?
Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Nexxussian, I'm looking to park 17 GS on lift mostly during winter storage. I would like to park my 14 GMC Sierra under lift with my wife's Acadia parked next to pickup I'm thinking I need to use SINGLE Post lift due to my garage is only 2 car and I have steps coming from house into garage. When parking GS or Sierra next to wife's Acadia I only have about 4-6 inches between vehicles. So that has me thinking there is no room for 2 or 4 post lift . Going with Single post that post/ tower would be on side wall of garage and post would not take up space between vehicles. Just looking to be able to get 3 vehicles in garage during winter. Thanks for responding Dave
Nexxussian (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ed'sC7
Is the price in line with the Bendpak 4 post lift?
What I seen so far the Single Post lifts are more than 4 post . I'm calling tomorrow to get price with company. In my case it might be worth paying a little more for lift and being able to accomplish what I want to do and cheaper than adding third garage. I will have a better idea on price tomorrow.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 10-05-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nexxussian, I'm looking to park 17 GS on lift mostly during winter storage. I would like to park my 14 GMC Sierra under lift with my wife's Acadia parked next to pickup I'm thinking I need to use SINGLE Post lift due to my garage is only 2 car and I have steps coming from house into garage. When parking GS or Sierra next to wife's Acadia I only have about 4-6 inches between vehicles. So that has me thinking there is no room for 2 or 4 post lift . Going with Single post that post/ tower would be on side wall of garage and post would not take up space between vehicles. Just looking to be able to get 3 vehicles in garage during winter. Thanks for responding Dave
Ahhh, ok, it sounded like 3 vehicles in a cramped space.
Borntorun04/17 (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 04:15 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I was looking at this lift a yr are so back call them up told them was really wanting to get something like this but also want to keep my 57 chev on top per say all the time. The guy told me he would not do it at all on that bases Told me by best thing would be a 4 post lift with a locking system on it if something did happen that it would lock into the post legs coming down. So I went & got a 4 post lift from BEN... Robert
Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robert miller
I was looking at this lift a yr are so back call them up told them was really wanting to get something like this but also want to keep my 57 chev on top per say all the time. The guy told me he would not do it at all on that bases Told me by best thing would be a 4 post lift with a locking system on it if something did happen that it would lock into the post legs coming down. So I went & got a 4 post lift from BEN... Robert
I have a email to company waiting response. When I get email or call I will inquire about leaving car on lift for 5 months. Curious on why you got that answer. From what I read or viewed M1 6.5 lifting cap. is 6500 pounds and has a Safety locking system. Thanks for info .Dave

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 10-07-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:27 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you considered just renting a storage unit for the winter storage months? By the time you buy and install the lift, put in new concrete and raise the ceiling you could probably rent a storage unit for the rest of your life.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GR Jay
Have you considered just renting a storage unit for the winter storage months? By the time you buy and install the lift, put in new concrete and raise the ceiling you could probably rent a storage unit for the rest of your life.
Yes I thought about that but to be honest, I want to see it , check on it and my concrete flooring needs to be replaced with or without getting lift. I could also use lift for detailing of car and some minor maintenance. Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Let's Talk Lifts

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Lifts