C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate the skip shift. Can I over ride it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

The CAGS eliminator is worth every penny and is completely reversible.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I have a bypass and have never installed it because CAGS is so much less intrusive than it was on my C5.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I come from a long line of high revving sports cars and have never had the skip shift feature turn on.

Just give it more gas. The car is more fun to drive above 2K rpm
Old 10-05-2017, 09:08 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtoro
z06 2018 corvette. I know there's a chip that I can plug into it to over ride, but can I buy it and can I install it myself and will it void any kind of warranty.
Easy to do! ~$20! No warranty issues.
This is a PDF of my install: http://netwelding.com/Skip_shift_Eliminator.pdf

Funny, I watched an episode of "All Girls Garage" where they were installing headers on a Camaro and the young lady, while waiting for someone to bring her a part, installed a CAGS eliminator while we watched, in ~ 2 minutes!

I have installed this simple device on every one of the Vettes owned that had skip shift. In fact on the C7 it doesn't happen often BUT because of that I think it's a safety hazard with today's distracted driving! I'll explain:

PROBLEM WITH SKIP SHIFT, IMO:

When I got my September 2013 built C7, Z51 there were some questions about a CAGS Eliminator possibly tripping codes. (It does not, just some incorrect resistors used on the initial products that did.) So I did not buy one for several months. I was never used to skip shift in my prior C6 as I had an "Eliminator" installed. Got in bumper to bumper traffic (unusual in our rural area.) Shifted out of 1st as I moved up in the line. Probably shifted at ~15 mph. It would not go into 2nd! Fumbled and wondered what the issue was. By the time I figured out what was happening had slowed quite a bit!

Had the person behind my taken off right after me an assumed I would go up to the next car and then received a beep on their cell phone that they got a text message they could have looked down not anticipating I would slow abruptly! Could have been in my rear.

Some folks, like Pavlov's Dogs, have a Conditioned Response, "They MUST Look To See Who is Sending A Message!"

Like Pavlov's Dogs, some folks have a conditioned response to a cell phone beep! They "Must Look" to see who sent them a text message! Just be sure you're not stopping in a bumper to bumper traffic line or at a stop light when they have to look!

PS: Installed one in my Grand Sport when I got it home. Easy to do when I changed to ceramic brake pads the same day (you'll want to do that or be cleaning you wheels of brake dust every ~100 miles.) When the rear was jacked up and the wheels off, easy to slip in from the side, unplug a connector and install the CAGS Eliminator!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-05-2017 at 09:17 AM.
chronage (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saleen556
Even with the plug in module the suggestion comes on the dash. That's the annoying part. I've had mine 6 weeks and have just learned to rev it up to at least 2500 rpms. It also sounds amazing doing so.
Hmm, annoyed by a light! Plenty of things in life to get annoyed about but NOT a light!

Yep the CAGS Eliminator just fools the computer to thinking it DID activate the Skip Shift Blocking Solenoid. There is a resistor in the part you buy that makes the car's computer think it did what it was designed to do, so yes the light does light! Just ignore it if you're looking! In the C7 it does not come on in my normal driving.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-05-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:38 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Just install the CAGS eliminator and be done with it. It was one of the very first things I did. I never notice the skip-shift light as I don't drive around staring at my instrument panel, especially to see if I'm over 19 MPH in heavy traffic, to see if it's okay to shift into second gear. I'm watching the car in front of me in case he slams on his brakes at the very same time I'm staring at my instrument panel to see if it's okay to shift gears.

I learned to drive a stick shift car back in 1954. Since then I have never needed an indicator on the instrument panel to let me know if it was okay to shift gears.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-05-2017 at 09:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
JerryU (10-05-2017), JimNeedsC7 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

Beat me by just a few years! Like you, I shift when I feel I want to, don't look at the dash and don't want anything stopping me from shifting when I want!

Also installed mine the day after I brought the Grand Sport home! Did not even need one of the girls from "All Girls Garage" to help!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:18 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, annoyed by a light! Plenty of things in life to get annoyed about but NOT a light!

Yep the CAGS Eliminator just fools the computer to thinking it DID activate the Skip Shift Blocking Solenoid. There is a resistor in the part you buy that makes the car's computer think it did what it was designed to do, so yes the light does light! Just ignore it if you're looking! In the C7 it does not come on in my normal driving.
LOL. Okay maybe a strong word:-). Just don't need the car to tell me when to shift. If I needed that I'd have gotten an automatic ;-)
JerryU (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:33 AM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Skip shift

You can buy a resistor for a dollar and put it in yourself.. It gets dangerous turning left and NOT redlining to shift to second to get out of the way of oncoming traffic.. Funny that SOME PEOPLE SAY give it more gas so you don't BOG the motor down but the skip shift makes you go to fourth at 1500 rpm... Is that bogging? But it still pulls..why shift at 2200 with the torque this motor has? Is 1700 in Sixth bogging it?
JerryU (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saleen556
LOL. Okay maybe a strong word:-). Just don't need the car to tell me when to shift. If I needed that I'd have gotten an automatic ;-)
If you see the light, just treat it as if the wife is asking you to do something in the yard! Make like you didn't hear!
tomtoro (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm now 72 (and a old geezer to some of you) but I know how to drive and do not have skip shift problems. Yes my C7 is a auto now but I have had 4 vechicles with"skip shift "and its no bother.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:52 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sorry, I just can't buy that. It has nothing to do with how little a CAGS defeat costs. I simply can't see how anyone can't figure out how not to shift out of 1st between 15-19mph. If you really want to granny-shift, just do it sooner. Folks like that should be in an automatic.
Ah hem, 'scuse me, but allow a member of the unworthy who usually agrees with you opine and disagree for once. I've been driving manuals for 35 years straight, that stellar record rudely interrupted by a senior moment when I bought a 2015 A8 (now gone). Every person shifts a bit different than the next guy, and in street driving you sometimes can't, or elect not to because of traffic conditions, shift outside the skip-shift algorithm threshold. I rarely hit S/S in my C6 and didn't install a S/S eliminator in that car, but have hit it a bit more in the C7. IMO not hitting it at all is worth the $11 and short time I expended on the task of getting rid of it forever. If there were side-effects like codes or other anomalous behavior reported I would re-think that decision, but there aren't any AFAIK. I would just rather not have to think about where the ECU wants me to shift. As always, YMMV, but I'll continue to struggle through life with a manual in my state of manifold unworthiness. I'm very content there.

Last edited by iclick; 10-05-2017 at 12:58 PM.
tomtoro (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

It's not worth the $20 or the ten minute install time. I bought one in advance--and gave it away without installing it.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:01 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, annoyed by a light!
Actually, I've never noticed the light in either my C6 or current C7.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
No warranty effects for the skip shift eliminator.

$20, a 5 minute install and you'll NEVER have to even *think* about it again. Ever. Seems like a bargain to me.

I daily drive my C7, and still see the 1-4 notice appear a few times a week (just the notice, not the forced shift), but being it is a lot of in-town driving, I'm not always revving it like I'm on an F1 circuit, so maybe that's my problem...
Since it is so easy to drive around the skip shift spending the $20 is a waste of money that could be spent on something more useful.

Skip Shift is only active between 14 and 19 mph under light throttle conditions. To get around the skip shift you can stay in low gear until the speed is above 20, accelerate quickly which disables skip shift or if putt putting behind other cars in slow moving traffic shift to second gear before the speedo hits 14 mph. That is easy to do after a few minutes of practice.

Bill
Old 10-05-2017, 04:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by iclick
I've been driving manuals for 35 years straight, that stellar record rudely interrupted by a senior moment when I bought a 2015 A8 (now gone). Every person shifts a bit different than the next guy, and in street driving you sometimes can't, or elect not to because of traffic conditions, shift outside the skip-shift algorithm threshold. ... If there were side-effects like codes or other anomalous behavior reported I would re-think that decision, but there aren't any AFAIK. I would just rather not have to think about where the ECU wants me to shift. As always, YMMV, but I'll continue to struggle through life with a manual in my state of manifold unworthiness. I'm very content there.
No need to apologize, all those who complain they won't spend <$20 bucks just don't jack up their car! Some will complain if you don't do what they think is best for you! I frankly don't care what they do and just chuckle at their attitude!

Think they need that young girl from "All Girls Garage" to show them how to do it in 2 minutes as she did on TV! Yep is doesn't happen very often but have the car jacked up and I waste $20 on far less useful things! To Each Their Own!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-05-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Ah hem, 'scuse me, but allow a member of the unworthy who usually agrees with you opine and disagree for once. I've been driving manuals for 35 years straight, that stellar record rudely interrupted by a senior moment when I bought a 2015 A8 (now gone). Every person shifts a bit different than the next guy, and in street driving you sometimes can't, or elect not to because of traffic conditions, shift outside the skip-shift algorithm threshold. I rarely hit S/S in my C6 and didn't install a S/S eliminator in that car, but have hit it a bit more in the C7. IMO not hitting it at all is worth the $11 and short time I expended on the task of getting rid of it forever. If there were side-effects like codes or other anomalous behavior reported I would re-think that decision, but there aren't any AFAIK. I would just rather not have to think about where the ECU wants me to shift. As always, YMMV, but I'll continue to struggle through life with a manual in my state of manifold unworthiness. I'm very content there.
OK, fair enough, and relax. This is an opinion forum, and disagreement is a routine part of it. If it makes you happy, that's great.

That doesn't change the fact that I just can't get my head around why some feel the need for it. I don't think about when to shift, don't look for lights, and it never occurs to me to shift out of first until I hear what I consider to be the appropriate engine note. That's never before 2500 rpm, which corresponds to slightly above 20 mph. That's not aggressive driving by any stretch of the imagination, and I've never seen a traffic situation that forced me to shift into 2nd before 20 mph.

I've only seen CAGS twice, once in my C6 Z06 10 years ago, and once in my C7, right after taking delivery, which in both cases was me purposely wanting to see what the 1-4 skip-shift felt like.

Get notified of new replies

To I hate the skip shift. Can I over ride it?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I come from a long line of high revving sports cars and have never had the skip shift feature turn on.

Just give it more gas. The car is more fun to drive above 2K rpm
^^^THIS^^^
In 33,000 miles I’ve never once been forced into a 1-4 shift. Sure, I see the message at times but it’s simply ignored. I can’t understand shifting this car out of first at the speed/RPM affected by CAGS. Guess it’s to eek out MPG?
Old 10-05-2017, 04:58 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
OK, fair enough, and relax.
I'm retired and relaxed by default.

That doesn't change the fact that I just can't get my head around why some feel the need for it.
It would be a waste of $11 for you. Not for some of us with different shifting habits. Different doesn't push us down a notch to the A8 level where we can't get into trouble . (Just kidding, A8 owners.)

I don't think about when to shift, don't look for lights, and it never occurs to me to shift out of first until I hear what I consider to be the appropriate engine note. That's never before 2500 rpm, which corresponds to slightly above 20 mph. That's not aggressive driving by any stretch of the imagination, and I've never seen a traffic situation that forced me to shift into 2nd before 20 mph.
I agree that it's not necessarily aggressive driving, it's just that if you take 100 M7 drivers you'll probably get 100 different overall behaviors. There are times when I might want to shift <2500 rpm or otherwise within the ECU's pre-defined window for SS--like in slow traffic up a grade when I might want to go into 2nd, not rev in 1st until the traffic moves faster, and 4th is not a good choice. I've often elected to move to 3rd rather than be forced into 4th, which it will accept, but I want to make the decisions!

Last edited by iclick; 10-05-2017 at 05:05 PM.
pdiddy972 (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since it is so easy to drive around the skip shift spending the $20 is a waste of money that could be spent on something more useful.

Skip Shift is only active between 14 and 19 mph under light throttle conditions. To get around the skip shift you can stay in low gear until the speed is above 20, accelerate quickly which disables skip shift or if putt putting behind other cars in slow moving traffic shift to second gear before the speedo hits 14 mph. That is easy to do after a few minutes of practice.

Bill
I can appreciate your stance on it, and that it works for you. Mine is just that $20 is cheap, and after that, I can then choose to drive like a grandpa *or* aggressively, however I feel like driving at any particular moment. These cars have a LOT of torque off idle, and allow a lot of leeway in short-shifting when just schlepping around town.

Last edited by Kent1999; 10-05-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: I hate the skip shift. Can I over ride it?