C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate the skip shift. Can I over ride it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The 2.2K ohm is what I'm using in my C6.

I don't know what the resistance is (if it is any different) for a C7.
It's the same!

There was confusion in October 2013 as there were CEL trips with some Eliminators for a C7. (Turned out they were defective!) I finally bought one after talking with the company that made them, it measured the same, 2.18 Kohm. That is in the plug going to the wire harness. You're paying for the two plugs (which are different in the C7 vs C6) and a resistor known to work and not burn out! Mine lasted 3 1/2 years in my 2014 C7 and was working fine when I sold the car. See they are being sold for $11! Can't beat that for a protected resistor with the correct 2 plugs!

Both it and the one I bought for the Grand Sport were one piece with two wires connecting the plugs. Makes it easier to use a wire tie to hold it close to the trans and avoid contact with the exhaust pipe.

The side that plugs into the solenoid read very low resistance. But that doesn't mean anything as the plug going to the solenoid is only being used to keep the connector on the transmission clean! Therefore the wires could be a dead short and the unpowered solenoid would not care! The plugs are NOT connected internally. That is why there was a 25 ohm measurement! The only resistance that matters is that connected to the cars harness.

Made a schematic to show what is happening:

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
All these posts about well, just rev it higher in 1st miss the point. There are times when that just doesn't work like making a slow right turn behind slow traffic. I instinctively shift to 2nd mid turn and then get lugged down in 4th. I know, I could consciously try not to shift but I still mostly do. I don't have an eliminator yet so it bites me once in awhile like that but never on a straight take off.
That is when you shift early. Shift before the mph gets over 14 mph and the shifter will go directly into 2nd. If shifting to 4th at 15 mph won't hurt the car shifting to 2nd at 14 won't either.

I get caught by it every now and then, so, when I feel the shifter heading for 4th I leave the clutch in, let the shifter just touch Gate 4, shove the shifter forward until it just touches Gate 3 and then pull back into Gate 2. It only takes a fraction of a second (about as fast as you can move your hand through the motions while sitting in the house) and the car barely slows during the process. That fraction of a second means nothing since you aren't going anywhere fast anyways with your front bumper 4 ft from the rear bumper of the car in front of you going 17 mph.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Skid Row Joe (10-10-2017), tomtoro (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM
tomtoro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll try this. My guy said to double clutch, but a pause sounds like it works too. Folks are right, no big deal. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:21 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Since I picked up my C7 in May, I've always been able to do the 1-2 shift despite the dash warning. I have never felt it go from 1-4 even when I shift during the dash warning.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

I get caught by it every now and then, so, when I feel the shifter heading for 4th I leave the clutch in, let the shifter just touch Gate 4, shove the shifter forward until it just touches Gate 3 and then pull back into Gate 2. It only takes a fraction of a second (about as fast as you can move your hand through the motions while sitting in the house) and the car barely slows during the process. That fraction of a second means nothing since you aren't going anywhere fast anyways with your front bumper 4 ft from the rear bumper of the car in front of you going 17 mph.

Bill
Originally Posted by tomtoro
I'll try this. My guy said to double clutch, but a pause sounds like it works too. Folks are right, no big deal. Thanks!
Originally Posted by fumbling
Since I picked up my C7 in May, I've always been able to do the 1-2 shift despite the dash warning. I have never felt it go from 1-4 even when I shift during the dash warning.
Yep, if you're on the virge of a lock out, you'll see the light but still be able to shift. It's just a matter of time before it happens.

Hmm, why put up with needing a tricky clutch shift movement, double clutching and just waiting until it locks you out even once! For ~$11 and a few minutes of work it will never happen! It is easily reversed if for whatever reason you feel the need!

Perhaps it's a challenge, but you're just defeating something GM used to get a few more tenths for their corporate average MPG when conducting the Federally mandated driving cycle! I know none of you are short shifting to the next gear when it will bring the rpms to ~1000 as it defines in the Owner's Manual to achieve max mpg! I don't look at the dash to see if my "shift light" comes on and doubt it is very often but it's a none issue with the "Eliminator Installed!"

As mentioned, in my C6 it never happened in 6 years as had the "Eliminator" installed. In my 2014 C7 it happened once in bumper to bumper traffic before I installed the Eliminator! It will never happen in my Grand Sport as I installed the "Skip Shift Eliminator" with ~30 miles on the car as it was jacked up while installing low dust ceramic brake pads!

TO EACH THEIR OWN!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:48 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Are you unaware of federal regulations requiring that manufacturers meet a corporate average mpg target number for all models produced by that manufacturer? Are you aware that the target numbers move increasingly higher over time? Did you know that CAGS allowed both the C6 and C7 to avoid the Federal Gas Guzzler Tax? Do you really think manufacturers designed and implemented things like CAGS and Start/Stop systems because they wanted to?

The 15-19 mph window for CAGS is actually incredibly clever, because it satisfied federal regulators, and the engineers knew full well that the vast majority of customers driving Corvettes would never see it.

And I can push a button to disable Start/Stop, so out the window goes the federal regulations to meet the corporate mpg target.
As dumb as dumb gets.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:51 AM
tomtoro
Racer

It's going to be an issue for me because I'm teaching my son how to drive a stick in a very big parking lot (I know, don't teach him on a Z. We'll go slow) and explaining the h pattern while the car is blocking him out of second is a problem. Can't really go 20mph to avoid the block. I don't want to teach him on the road until he gets the process down.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:10 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

It's going to be an issue for me because I'm teaching my son how to drive a stick in a very big parking lot (I know, don't teach him on a Z. We'll go slow) and explaining the h pattern while the car is blocking him out of second is a problem. Can't really go 20mph to avoid the block. I don't want to teach him on the road until he gets the process down.

Well the hardest part of a stick is simply getting the car moving. I taught 2 kids to drive stick and did not let them out to the road till they got good at that.

Same deal for reverse. Reverse is a bit easier to learn clutch, as the lower reverse gear is more forgiving. Your son will probably be a bit tentative in shifting gears so a slow shift will not engage the skipper.

No I did not teach them with a Vette, but basically a stick is a stick. Kids must have learned something from me as both have class 1 licensees and in fact the older one pulls double bottoms and pulls down a decent salary and is home each night!
The following users liked this post:
tomtoro (10-08-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Invest ~$11 and install a "Skip Shift Eliminator!"

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:22 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
And I can push a button to disable Start/Stop, so out the window goes the federal regulations to meet the corporate mpg target.
As dumb as dumb gets.
Not on a new Chevy... The Chevy engineers say that if the driver needs a disable switch, then we did not design it right..
Our new Malibu has start/stop and there is no disable button on it.
I think Cadillac started out with a button, but may have removed it in later models.
The government will probably make the manufacturers remove all bypass buttons eventually.

As has been pointed out, if you pause before going to second, the car should shift.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-07-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Not on a new Chevy... The Chevy engineers say that if the driver needs a disable switch, then we did not design it right..
Our new Malibu has start/stop and there is no disable button on it.
I think Cadillac started out with a button, but may have removed it in later models.
The government will probably make the manufacturers remove all bypass buttons eventually.

As has been pointed out, if you pause before going to second, the car should shift.
Expect GM and others will have to eliminate a defeat option and perhaps prevent aftermarket solutions! Our BMW always starts with it engaged and you have to put it in Sport Mode to block it. As I have posted, it's so well implemented, with the radio playing cannot tell the engine is off or when it starts. When you lift your foot off the brake it starts before your foot is on the gas pedal. Why not improve mileage around town.

The Viper used the same Tremic 7 speed as the C7 and had "Skip Shift." Apparently an "Eliminator" trips codes. GM would just have to add a position sensor on the blocking solenoid to have that occur! Thank goodness many folks object to spending ~$11 and a short time it takes to install and GM did add one to Vettes! Since manuals are only 23% of the Vettes sold and apparently only a small percentage of us install one, it's a none issue!

Perhaps the small percentage of standard shifts is why we also avoid forced 8 to 4 cylinder, except in ECO Mode. Glad for that!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agree, we have start/stop on all our other vehicles, and it's a non-issue. I always leave it on, and the engine is re-started before I can move my right foot from brake to throttle.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-07-2017 at 11:48 AM.
JerryU (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
The cheapest way to do this is to.... wait for it.... step on the gas!
It's a Z06 stop shifting at 1500 RPM, the redline is over 6k
Old 10-07-2017, 01:15 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

The 2.2K ohm is what I'm using in my C6.

I don't know what the resistance is (if it is any different) for a C7.

"014-2018 C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator

Also called CAGS Defeat

Do you hate the 1-4 skip shift installed on the C7 Manual Transmission? This little device will eliminate that annoying issue.

I know that some ads for C7 bypass actually say for use on C7 only, so I was not sure if the resistance was different. The ones I have seen that have a separate cap and resistor plug do have a lower resistance value.

'"Our Corvette skip shift kit will allow you to disable the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) feature of your C7 Corvette's 7-speed gearbox. This kit comes with the correct connectors, plugs and seals to protect your wiring harness and CAGS solenoid to allow you to re-connect the harness for full CAGS function, if you so desire. This kit is designed for use a C7 Corvette only. Will not fit C5 or C6 Corvette. No permanent modifications are required to install this product."

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-07-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

As I recall the connector plug is different.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:06 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^

As I recall the connector plug is different.
I have noticed that some connectors look the same outside, but have an extra partition in the female connector..
I have some extra connectors, but just need to know the correct resistor to use for the C7.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-08-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

There are three M7 transmissions used in the C7.

If you have a Z51/GS than you would have to go to 2560 RPM to get above the CAGS(20 MPH). Why go that high? It's not needed.

If you have a base Stingray then you would have to go to 2300 RPM to et above the CAGS(20 MPH).

If you have a Z06 then you would have to go to 1975 RPM to get above the CAGS(20 MPH).

Get notified of new replies

To I hate the skip shift. Can I over ride it?

Old 10-08-2017, 07:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

There are three M7 transmissions used in the C7.

If you have a Z51/GS than you would have to go to 2560 RPM to get above the CAGS(20 MPH). Why go that high? It's not needed.

If you have a base Stingray then you would have to go to 2300 RPM to et above the CAGS(20 MPH).

If you have a Z06 then you would have to go to 1975 RPM to get above the CAGS(20 MPH).
Believe it's above 17 mph to avoid the skip shift. In a Z51/GS that is 2200 rpm. Normally not an issue but in bumper to bumper traffic just depends. ~$11 solves it whenever!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:40 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Believe it's above 17 mph to avoid the skip shift. In a Z51/GS that is 2200 rpm. Normally not an issue but in bumper to bumper traffic just depends. ~$11 solves it whenever!
17 MPH is the recommended shift speed for the best gas mileage and it is a forced shift from first to fourth gear. That is not the speed that one has to reach in order to shift directly from first to second gear.
JerryU (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 PM
tomtoro
Racer

He did great yesterday and today. I taught him in a huge parking lot and once he figured out the clutch, it was easy for him. He and I put at least a hundred miles on it over the weekend, just tooling around town. It was tough for him to keep it below the break in RPM's, lol.

You're right, reverse he got right away. The skip wasn't too much of an issue for him for the reason you stated (in the lot). Once we were on the road, he never shifted into second until he was going about 25 or so and yes he was slow to shift so it was moot.

I guess I drive like a grampa. I'm old enough to be...
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Well the hardest part of a stick is simply getting the car moving. I taught 2 kids to drive stick and did not let them out to the road till they got good at that.

Same deal for reverse. Reverse is a bit easier to learn clutch, as the lower reverse gear is more forgiving. Your son will probably be a bit tentative in shifting gears so a slow shift will not engage the skipper.

No I did not teach them with a Vette, but basically a stick is a stick. Kids must have learned something from me as both have class 1 licensees and in fact the older one pulls double bottoms and pulls down a decent salary and is home each night!

Quick Reply: I hate the skip shift. Can I over ride it?