Ordering a Corvette - Allocations and Constraints Explained - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ordering a Corvette - Allocations and Constraints Explained

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a Corvette - Allocations and Constraints Explained

Old 08-05-2018, 06:54 AM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by corvette11 View Post
I just received my TPW a couple of days ago, its 8-27.. I ordered mine on 7-24... It only took about 8 days to get to status 3300. Hopefully I will have it by mid September at the latest.I ordered mine through Mac Mulkin.
Same order date ,same dealer. How did you find out about your TPW?
Old 08-11-2018, 12:41 PM
corvette11
CF Member

I just checked today and I am at order code 3400. Its getting closer... But the waiting
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Slynky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Useful thread. Thanks !

So, I'm going to approach a small dealer (who says they have 4 allocations) and a large dealer (Hendrick). The small dealer is near me.

I don't know if things are actually like this but it seems like I read--back when the 2014s were first being ordered--that dealers with only a few allocations were sort of pushed into waiting while the dealers with lots of allocations were pulled into production first. Is this, or some facsimile of this, correct? AND, can a dealer tell me he has an allocation but is lying to me just to get my order and then let me sit around week after week? How can one verify a dealership actually has an allocation?

Thanks !

PS: Hope this makes sense...
Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 PM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
Useful thread. Thanks !

So, I'm going to approach a small dealer (who says they have 4 allocations) and a large dealer (Hendrick). The small dealer is near me.

I don't know if things are actually like this but it seems like I read--back when the 2014s were first being ordered--that dealers with only a few allocations were sort of pushed into waiting while the dealers with lots of allocations were pulled into production first. Is this, or some facsimile of this, correct? AND, can a dealer tell me he has an allocation but is lying to me just to get my order and then let me sit around week after week? How can one verify a dealership actually has an allocation?

Thanks !

Just order from the large dealer. Right now Macmulkin,which is where I ordered from last month, has 12% off msrp on customer orders and I already have a production date.
The Following User Says Thank You to QUAKEJAKE For This Useful Post:
Slynky (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Slynky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE View Post
Just order from the large dealer. Right now Macmulkin,which is where I ordered from last month, has 12% off msrp on customer orders and I already have a production date.
I thought about Kerbeck but to be frank about it, I don't want to travel to pick up my car. Nor do I want to drive it back to Georgia during the break-in period. Also, I'm not sure about the sales tax situation. If I buy it in Georgia, it's called, GATATV. When paid here, one never needs to pay annual property tax on its value when renewing your tag. As it is, I currently pay property tax every year on my Z because I bought it before the law changed. I don't want some weird law to cause a problem because I purchased out of state.

Thanks, though ! I'll see how close I can get to 12% here.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,997 Times in 1,037 Posts

Useful thread. Thanks !

Thanks !

Yes, a dealer can lie about having an allocation. Unfortunately, there is no way to verify a dealer's allocations. The first year's C7 allocations were based on how many C6's dealers took when C6 demand was vary low. Some dealers refused to take any more C6's, while others (like the big dealers discussed here) took extra allocations even though they were difficult to sell. Since allocations were based on those C6 allocations, those that took very few got very few allocations. The big dealers EARNED their C7 allocations.So, a dealer with very few allocations maybe only got 1 allocation every few weeks. But, it was based what they did at the end of the C6 run and dealers knew ahead of time that this is how it would work.

I thought about Kerbeck but to be frank about it, I don't want to travel to pick up my car. Nor do I want to drive it back to Georgia during the break-in period. Also, I'm not sure about the sales tax situation. If I buy it in Georgia, it's called, GATATV. When paid here, one never needs to pay annual property tax on its value when renewing your tag. As it is, I currently pay property tax every year on my Z because I bought it before the law changed. I don't want some weird law to cause a problem because I purchased out of state.

Courtesy delivery is an option for you to consider. You place your order at any dealership and do a courtesy delivery at a local dealership. The car is shipped directly by GM to the courtesy dealer. Of course, this can only be done with cars that have not yet been ordered (or are very early in the cycle such that the order can be changed). Different dealerships handle the tax situation differently (may depend on the state the selling dealer is in and what that state requires).
The Following User Says Thank You to Zymurgy For This Useful Post:
Slynky (08-14-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:35 PM
corvette11
CF Member

I don't know what kind of Corvette your going to order,but when I ordered my GS they were giving 13% of the msrp. I was going to do a courtesy delivery and they wanted $500.00 which is not bad, but I have never been to the Museum so I did the Museum delivery. I called MacMulkin on a Thursday and they had 2 allocations that week for a GS, so I built the car and the order went through on Tuesday July 24. I received my TPW of 8/27, 8 days later. Last Friday my car went to order status of 3400. I called the Museum and they said my car should be built by 8/28. So hopefully I will get my car mid September. In Louisiana we have a one time tax payment (9.9% ouch) Good Luck on your decision
The Following User Says Thank You to corvette11 For This Useful Post:
Slynky (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Slynky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
Yes, a dealer can lie about having an allocation. Unfortunately, there is no way to verify a dealer's allocations. The first year's C7 allocations were based on how many C6's dealers took when C6 demand was vary low. Some dealers refused to take any more C6's, while others (like the big dealers discussed here) took extra allocations even though they were difficult to sell. Since allocations were based on those C6 allocations, those that took very few got very few allocations. The big dealers EARNED their C7 allocations.So, a dealer with very few allocations maybe only got 1 allocation every few weeks. But, it was based what they did at the end of the C6 run and dealers knew ahead of time that this is how it would work.

Courtesy delivery is an option for you to consider. You place your order at any dealership and do a courtesy delivery at a local dealership. The car is shipped directly by GM to the courtesy dealer. Of course, this can only be done with cars that have not yet been ordered (or are very early in the cycle such that the order can be changed). Different dealerships handle the tax situation differently (may depend on the state the selling dealer is in and what that state requires).
Thanks for your time and reply. These are some things to think about. A helpful thread.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 AM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

I don't know what kind of Corvette your going to order,but when I ordered my GS they were giving 13% of the msrp. I was going to do a courtesy delivery and they wanted $500.00 which is not bad, but I have never been to the Museum so I did the Museum delivery. I called MacMulkin on a Thursday and they had 2 allocations that week for a GS, so I built the car and the order went through on Tuesday July 24. I received my TPW of 8/27, 8 days later. Last Friday my car went to order status of 3400. I called the Museum and they said my car should be built by 8/28. So hopefully I will get my car mid September. In Louisiana we have a one time tax payment (9.9% ouch) Good Luck on your decision
Everything you stated with regard to dealer,order date,TPW and status is a carbon copy of my order. Hope my build date is the same as yours.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 PM
dony45

Default MacMulkin

Originally Posted by ralphrides View Post
I have been trying to get a C7 LT1 Stingray priced for two years now. I do a build sheet and ask for a final price and get BS. I contacted at least 10 local dealers around the Philly Baltimore area. the dealers just don't want to take orders only sell inventory. I want a base model in blue with all the stingray badging and magnetic suspension with auto 8 sp. its very disturbing and I reported this to GM twice. see what happen this time around.

Try MacMulkin. To order a corvette from GM it is 13% off sticker. I ordered mine exactly the way I wanted and deducted 13%. I sent them an email and they confirmed the price. They are really easy to work with and they send the car to your nearest Chevy dealer, how great is that.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:04 PM
breakskeet
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DCDano View Post

Once it gets to Event Status Code 3800 (vehicle produced) is when the VIN is assigned.

​​​​​​VIN is actually assigned before this. I had a Museum Delivery with an Engine Build and a Buyers Tour. I knew my VIN before I went up to build my engine. Probably happens around 3400.

Had my VIN on 11/7/16 and car was built on 11/17/16

Last edited by breakskeet; 08-31-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:13 AM
dony45

July 25 2000
Aug 3 3300
Aug 16 3400
Aug 30 4B00
Sept 6 4200 Shipped

Last edited by dony45; 09-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 PM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

Placed order 7/24 ,accepted 7/26, tpw 8/27,built 8/28 ,shipped 9/04 and at the dealer 9/05
Old 09-05-2018, 09:57 PM
corvette11
CF Member

Placed order 7/24 ,accepted 7/26, tpw 8/27,built 8/28 ,shipped 9/04 and at the dealer 9/05
Congrats!!!!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:38 AM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

Congrats!!!!
Thank you, Can't wait to just see it during lunch. Driving it home tonight.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:39 AM
JDSC7VETTE
CF Senior Member

That's awesome and it didn't take long for you to get it from the time you ordered. What did it take? 6 weeks? I can't wait for mine.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 PM
corvette11
CF Member

Your making me jealous!!! I am glad you got to pick it up tonight. You are going to have to put up some pictures later. I hope you are having fun out there driving around. I still have to wait until next Saturday to pick mine up at the Museum.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 AM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

Your making me jealous!!! I am glad you got to pick it up tonight. You are going to have to put up some pictures later. I hope you are having fun out there driving around. I still have to wait until next Saturday to pick mine up at the Museum.

Waited 6 weeks and a day for this baby. Could not be happier with the process and the way she turned out.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:40 AM
QUAKEJAKE
CF Senior Member

Old 09-07-2018, 06:06 PM
corvette11
CF Member

Waited 6 weeks and a day for this baby. Could not be happier with the process and the way she turned out.
Sharp looking car....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering a Corvette - Allocations and Constraints Explained

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: