C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found damage on my new C7 ZO6 I bought last week-what should I do?

Old 11-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Sokam
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found damage on my new C7 ZO6 I bought last week-what should I do?

Two weeks ago I got a new 2017 zo6 that had 77 miles that I was assured was in perfect condition that they just took it to a parade. I just got it paint protected and the person doing the install found a spider crack that I couldn't see unless I was laying down on the ground.
https://i.imgur.com/8CiJYAh.jpg

After doing more inspection I found that someone bottomed the crap out of it or hit a curb breaking the fender liner away from the splitter and cracking the paint.

Here is what both sides look like. My left splitter and fender liner is perfect and touching.
https://i.imgur.com/czLbKri.jpg

Here is the right side that was hit. Look how it is pushed away.
https://i.imgur.com/mJ8PD93.jpg

Now for the good stuff. When looking at the photos I took when picking up the car. You can see that it is broken the day I picked it up.
https://i.imgur.com/KcReyTq.jpg

zoomed in
https://i.imgur.com/6urzjMF.png

What should I push the dealer to do?

Should I request a new bumper and all parts that were scraped and money to redo the paint protection?

I dont know if I just want it just repainted because it might look like crap and reduce the resale value.

The dealer is 400 miles away so I don't want to have to go back to them. But I do feel like they tried to screw me so they should make it right.

Thanks for any help. Im not sure why I cant get the photos to come up with

Last edited by Sokam; 11-15-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:04 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I would waste no time going there or since it 400 miles call them and maybe work with your local dealer with the proof of damage if you can prove it was like that when you picked it up. They should fix everything
Good shop of your choice. Should be no worry on the paint.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-07-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Just call the sales person tomorrow that sold you the car and explain the situation that you found with the car. Tell them that you have the delivery pictures and damage is there to begin with right in the showroom. I am sure that they will work with you to remedy the situation locally to you. As for getting a new bumper, I don't know if that will fly but you can try. They should fix and paint it no problem. If you don't ask, you won't know. But for the other damaged parts, they should easily agree to that.

Good luck

Last edited by c54u; 11-15-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

What a PIA! Well you got the Money Shot photo's going for ya.Don't know how much business youv'e done with this dealer? Don't know what you signed before Taking Delivery?
Not protecting dealer here But,You got miles on this.Sounds to me it couldv'e been a Demo with 77Miles? Granted 1 mile or parking lot dick couldv'e damaged it in the lot?Hopefully you didn't sign something releasing them of a damage issue?
Car of that price with miles should of been looked at a little more.
Just saying for the next time.Did you look at it on a lift?
I don't trust ANYBODY.Ex-specially a salesmen.Hopefully they will help for your sanity..
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I said it today in another thread: it's a used car which means it needed to be gone over after that 77 miles by someone, even up on a rack to check the undercarriage. But that's past now.

I agree with the above posts. Give the selling dealer a call. You don't state where you live---are there no dealers where you live? When talking with your dealer, one solution might be to get it fixed locally -- to you -- and paid for by them. It's a long shot but beats an 800 mile trip, all in.

Other than that, expect this to take time---yours--and money, more of yours and some of theirs. Or, vice versa (some of yours, and more of theirs).

If the selling dealer steps up, gives you no problems, does the right thing and makes it good for you, I suggest you "sing their praise" on here, the largest Corvette forum in the country. And tell them you are going to, and WILL do that. You don't have to mention the alternative at all (think: carrot is frequently better than the stick).

Good luck. Come back and tell us how it all turns out.
The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Am I wrong or is the damage just too the Spat and the front spoiler. If so I would just fix it myself because the parts cant be more than $200 and 800 mile trip is a long way. Lesson learned for next time . Good luck and to me anyways seems like a easy fix.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Go to your local dealer and show it to the Service Writer. It is a warranty issue now and GM will take care of it properly. You don't know where that damage occurred, it could have happened before the selling dealer received the car or during the truck delivery at the dealership. If you wait too long it becomes your problem because you may have done it.

Bill
Old 11-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Sokam
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Go to your local dealer and show it to the Service Writer. It is a warranty issue now and GM will take care of it properly. You don't know where that damage occurred, it could have happened before the selling dealer received the car or during the truck delivery at the dealership. If you wait too long it becomes your problem because you may have done it.

Bill
I went to my local dealer. They said its not a warranty issue because the damage was caused by the dealer, not the factory.

I was assured that it was in perfect condition and only use for one parade by the GM. So he lied and I have email and text proof with their names.

They are a tiny dealer me putting them on blast wont do anything as they dont move many corvettes. They better make it right and pay for everything including new paint protection.

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Am I wrong or is the damage just too the Spat and the front spoiler. If so I would just fix it myself because the parts cant be more than $200 and 800 mile trip is a long way. Lesson learned for next time . Good luck and to me anyways seems like a easy fix.
There is a spider crack in the paint also.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-07-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

The problem is once you leave the dealer's lot it's hard to prove ownership of the damage. That is way it is critical to fully and completely inspect the car throughly before paying for it.

That said, I hope you find the dealer helpful.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Sokam
There is a spider crack in the paint also.
Sorry did not see that but that will need to be addressed .
Old 11-15-2017, 08:58 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Bill
Sorry but you are flat wrong. Cosmetic issues are not a warranty issue unless you had it documented BEFORE you drove it off the lot.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-15-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I hope the dealer is good to you.
I was a 22 year old salesman for 4 months at a high pressure Ford dealer in 1986. I learned how the dark side of the business works. We had a bad reputation but we sold more cars than anyone around. This place would do nothing for you, I'm sure as they were only looking for one sale and to never see you again-dicks...
One day, the wash bay guy took a new Mustang SVO out for a ride to "dry it".
He lost control and bottomed out the drivers side under the driver door. It was some major damage. This dealer filled the damage with bondo, painted it and put on the showroom floor. You could easily see the damage. A guy came in and bought it totally unknowing, even though all of the dealership knew. If we said anything, we would be fired-we lived in fear!! At delivery, he noticed and cancelled. The management would have allowed it to go down the road. I believe people in this day and age are better than this. Sorry if I scared you but somebody at that dealership knew about this. Wash bay guy? Good luck.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Bill
Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Sorry but you are flat wrong. Cosmetic issues are not a warranty issue unless you had it documented BEFORE you drove it off the lot.
What? Like the photo that he took at the dealership as he was taking delivery that shows the damage was present. You mean that type of documentation? RIF
Old 11-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Sokam
Cruising

I feel like the multiple pictures that I have is pretty good proof it was damaged before I got it.

How much do dealers care about getting good reviews? I have yet to file one but they really pushed me to do it giving them all excellents. Not sure I can do that after this ****.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Sorry, but I have been there and picked up the T Shirt. I have had cosmetic issues that weren't noticed until a week or so after I took delivery taken care of under warranty before. They will cover it if he doesn't act like an *******. They can tell when somebody is trying to pull the wool over their eyes and they definitely won't suffer an *******.

Bill
Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Sokam
Cruising

Sorry, but I have been there and picked up the T Shirt. I have had cosmetic issues that weren't noticed until a week or so after I took delivery taken care of under warranty before. They will cover it if he doesn't act like an *******. They can tell when somebody is trying to pull the wool over their eyes and they definitely won't suffer an *******.

Bill
My dealer doesn't do their own body work. Do I need to go to a dealer that does to get it covered under warranty?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:34 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Bill
Serious question. Where does it state that being an ******* voids a warranty???

Get notified of new replies

To Found damage on my new C7 ZO6 I bought last week-what should I do?

Old 11-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Bill
Again, once it leaves the lot they are not responsible to fix any cosmetic damage unless they feel it's good will to do so. In fact when I factory ordered my 2016 from MacMulkin Chevrolet and had a courtesy delivery to Oregon MacMulkin told me to fully inspect the car's cosmetics before driving it off the lot. They said everything else was covered under warranty.

3 years/36,000 Miles Limited Warranty Coverage
"Chevrolet is committed to ensuring satisfaction with your new vehicle. Your Chevrolet dealer also wants you to be completely satisfied and invites you to return for all your service needs, both during and after the warranty period. To help keep things in proper working order, Chevrolet will warrant each model year from bumper-to-bumper for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first; see dealer for details) with no deductible, from the delivery date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs that are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship."

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-15-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

my question is WTF did you ever buy it knowing it was hit already?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Sokam
Cruising

Originally Posted by Red Devil Z51
my question is WTF did you ever buy it knowing it was hit already?
I didn't know it was hit. My clear bra guy found the tiny crack and I took it to the dealer and they found everything else. But looking back at the pictures I can see the asymmetric fender and splitter that I took on delivery. They assured me it was prefect and no one was bout riding in it.

If I pushed hard enough I bet I could make them buy it back. But I would be happy with just getting everything fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found damage on my new C7 ZO6 I bought last week-what should I do?