Tire Temperature Display - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Temperature Display

Old 10-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #21
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,903 Posts

Agreed, given the numbers Zymurgy published above, the lower end of the warm range is actually cold, at least as far as the OEM PSS summer tires are concerned.
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
drs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Zymurgy/Tex/Jerry

Yes, I was just wondering how the poster quoted above was seeing this in his car.
I'm going to guess he is confusing the air pressure readout for temperatures.

Last edited by drs; 10-11-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: grammar
drs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #23
ClydeFrog
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
Another virtually worthless datum I won't need to worry about.
You need to worry about it when the idiot (plenty of them) with cup2s on a 50 degree day thinks he has “warm” tires & is in oncoming traffic....
ClydeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClydeFrog For This Useful Post:
Foosh (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #24
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,903 Posts

Damned right. There was thread published about a week ago at a track outing showing a white C7 that piled into a tire wall on a cool morning, and I suspect that gauge was showing tires "warm."

Last edited by Foosh; 10-11-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #25
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZR1 View Post
I just got back from a 1700 mile trip through the Rockies. One morning leaving Dillon it was 26 degrees. At start up, tires read Warm. Drove a bit and it never changed. I have seen Hot before, so it's reading something. I too found it odd that they never got Cold.

So it's not just you, Jim...
Thanks, I needed that.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #26
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,315 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
With the conditions described in my original post, I can't see how my tires could have been above 46'.
A Z06 in our group also said his tires indicated "Warm" immediately after starting, on another day when the temperature was below 40' after parking outside overnight.

Somethin' strange about the system...
We've already discussed that the system does not actually measure the tire temperature. There are a lot of factors that would affect those temps. The ambient air temperature is only one factor. I imagine the ground is still much warmer than the ambient air temperature was. The tires are sitting on that warm ground getting warmed by it. I'm also guessing that you drove the car prior to parking it and that would have elevated the tire/wheel temperatures. The temperature sensor is inside the TPM sensor which is inside the tire. That a lot of mass to cool off and the air temperature (36) just isn't cold enough to offset the ground heat and existing tire wheel heat. How long was the air temp below 46 degrees? What was the air temp when you parked it? What were the tire temps when you parked it? How hot were your brakes? Just too many variables that we don't know.

I do know that the display does show Cold and others have posted it displaying Frozen.
Zymurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #27
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
We've already discussed that the system does not actually measure the tire temperature. There are a lot of factors that would affect those temps. The ambient air temperature is only one factor. I imagine the ground is still much warmer than the ambient air temperature was. The tires are sitting on that warm ground getting warmed by it. I'm also guessing that you drove the car prior to parking it and that would have elevated the tire/wheel temperatures. The temperature sensor is inside the TPM sensor which is inside the tire. That a lot of mass to cool off and the air temperature (36) just isn't cold enough to offset the ground heat and existing tire wheel heat. How long was the air temp below 46 degrees? What was the air temp when you parked it? What were the tire temps when you parked it? How hot were your brakes? Just too many variables that we don't know.

I do know that the display does show Cold and others have posted it displaying Frozen.
The factors you mentioned are all relevant, but...
On our C5 and C6, I would sometimes check the coolant, oil, and transmission temps, immediately after startup from overnight parking in our unheated garage; and then compare them with the two thermometers on the wall inside the garage. All of the temps would be identical within +/- 2'F.

I have a "laser" thermometer, I should compare the tire temps and air temps a few times during the winter and post the results here.
Somebody remind me if I forget to do it.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #28
Groovepusher Sly
CF Senior Member

I always keep my display on the 4 wheel PSI. You can tell when your tires are warm, because when cold, the pressure is low. So if you air up to correct pressure when the tires are warm, if the car sits in the cold (below 32 degrees), when you start it the pressure will read low, 28-29 PSI. When the pressure comes up to 30 PSI your tires are warm.

Sly
Groovepusher Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #29
speedlink
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
mine reads the actual temp of all 4 tires. Is it broken?
It reads the tire pressure per tire. Not the temp. As discussed in the other replies.
speedlink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedlink For This Useful Post:
kitesurfer (10-13-2017)
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Tire Temperature Display
  •