Leather on dash delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
https://youtu.be/FGSB9-liAUc

don't think for a second that it doesn't happen but there is definitely a root cause for the failure not cracking the windows when it's really hot out leaving it where the temperatures get freezing cold it's not very durable if you don't take extra precautions so yes the dash with leather is more prone to failure if you don't take precautions

but the alternative is to have a cheap looking Dash that will also break down just take longer for me it's not difficult to throw a dark-colored towel the same color as my interior blue on to the top of the dash when it's going to sit out in the sun all day I do crack my windows the car doesn't go in the rain for a daily driver I'm sure it would be a nightmare and suck but this is a case of not being able to have your cake and eating it too oh well
Corvette has over the years sold many thousands of C7 Corvettes in 3LT trim. Now if it were a big problem you would think at least 20% of these owners would be experiencing this problem. Say there have been 5000 3 LT owners for the sake of arguement. Then using my number of 20% there would be 1000 3 LT owners griping about this. Now, have you seen anywhere 1000 Corvette owners griping about this delamination as a problem? Don't think so, me too! All I have seen is onseys and twoseys. Not much more than that. There has been limited evidence this is a real problem for Corvettes.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,697 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Corvette has over the years sold many thousands of C7 Corvettes in 3LT trim. Now if it were a big problem you would think at least 20% of these owners would be experiencing this problem. Say there have been 5000 3 LT owners for the sake of arguement. Then using my number of 20% there would be 1000 3 LT owners griping about this. Now, have you seen anywhere 1000 Corvette owners griping about this delamination as a problem? Don't think so, me too! All I have seen is onseys and twoseys. Not much more than that. There has been limited evidence this is a real problem for Corvettes.
We nor you have any idea as to the magnitude of the 3LT dash issue. Do you seriously believe that every or even close to most 3LT owners who experienced the leather dash issue has reported it here? Take into consideration how many corvette owners never visit forums.
I, for example, have been involved in Corvettes for over 40 years before I started participating on this forum a little over a year ago. I expect there's many 3LT owners out there who have just accepted their dash is screwed up and are just living with it. IMO, the amount of threads/posts and photos we see here definitely support there's a failure issue even if you seem to be trying to convince yourself there's not.
The following users liked this post:
dbell66253 (06-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
We nor you have any idea as to the magnitude of the 3LT dash issue. Do you seriously believe that every or even close to most 3LT owners who experienced the leather dash issue has reported it here? Take into consideration how many corvette owners never visit forums.
I, for example, have been involved in Corvettes for over 40 years before I started participating on this forum a little over a year ago. I expect there's many 3LT owners out there who have just accepted their dash is screwed up and are just living with it. IMO, the amount of threads/posts and photos we see here definitely support there's a failure issue even if you seem to be trying to convince yourself there's not.

I was going to make the point about the lack of owners on the corvette forums. Additionally, some owners don't observe these issues, some don't care, and some trade their model so quickly it's not worth the trouble. I've talked to a few dealerships who have confirmed that they have seen this issue in the 3LT models.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:33 AM
MMD
Safety Car

If this issue was truly a big problem then this forum, which is a good representative sample of all Corvette owners, it would be lit up similar to the paint issue was a year or 2 ago or similar to the A8 transmission issue reported. Search for yourself and see that the number of people that actually are reporting this issue on this forum is not very significant. You read a lot of griping with people mentioning this or that about what they hear about someone elses vehicle. Some other people accept this issue as gospel without any supporting facts to backup that claim. Look, I am listening. If you or anyone else can demonstrate with any type of factual evidence, not hearsay, that this issue is real I'll join the bandwagon. I just cannot find significant numbers of affected owners on this forum indicating there is a major problem with the 3 LT dash.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JDMvette7

I was going to make the point about the lack of owners on the corvette forums. Additionally, some owners don't observe these issues, some don't care, and some trade their model so quickly it's not worth the trouble. I've talked to a few dealerships who have confirmed that they have seen this issue in the 3LT models.
Your post is proof of what I am saying. Just hearsay with no supporting facts.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMD

If this issue was truly a big problem then this forum, which is a good representative sample of all Corvette owners, it would be lit up similar to the paint issue was a year or 2 ago or similar to the A8 transmission issue reported. Search for yourself and see that the number of people that actually are reporting this issue on this forum is not very significant. You read a lot of griping with people mentioning this or that about what they hear about someone elses vehicle. Some other people accept this issue as gospel without any supporting facts to backup that claim. Look, I am listening. If you or anyone else can demonstrate with any type of factual evidence, not hearsay, that this issue is real I'll join the bandwagon. I just cannot find significant numbers of affected owners on this forum indicating there is a major problem with the 3 LT dash.
You are comparing apples to oranges as the factory paint issues were elevated as related to poor paint quality on new C7s where the 3LT dash issues show up on older C7s drawing much less attention. And obviously the A8 issues are going to draw more attention since they drastically impair C7 driveability and you can't just ignore a bad transmission like you can a cracking/peeling leather dash.

My point is that pretending an issue doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:28 PM
MMD
Safety Car

You are comparing apples to oranges as the factory paint issues were elevated as related to poor paint quality on new C7s where the 3LT dash issues show up on older C7s drawing much less attention. And obviously the A8 issues are going to draw more attention since they drastically impair C7 driveability and you can't just ignore a bad transmission like you can a cracking/peeling leather dash.

My point is that pretending an issue doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.
You haven't made a strong arguement. If I complained about something on the Corvette like say I had a problem with the lug nuts stripping when they're removed, this does not mean that is a big problem for everybodys' Corvettes. You or no one else has yet made a strong case there is a major problem with 3 LT dashes. Unsubstantiated anecdotes and hearsay accounts are not enough for 3 LT Corvettes owners to be concerned. So to get to your point, I am not concerned about the 3 LT dashes on the wide bodies. Moreover, I am not pretending as there is no significant problem to concern myself with. That's the reality.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMD
You haven't made a strong arguement. If I complained about something on the Corvette like say I had a problem with the lug nuts stripping when they're removed, this does not mean that is a big problem for everybodys' Corvettes. You or no one else has yet made a strong case there is a major problem with 3 LT dashes. Unsubstantiated anecdotes and hearsay accounts are not enough for 3 LT Corvettes owners to be concerned. So to get to your point, I am not concerned about the 3 LT dashes on the wide bodies. Moreover, I am not pretending as there is no significant problem to concern myself with. That's the reality.

It will be interesting to see how your perspective changes if/when yours fails. Let's just hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-03-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:45 PM
MMD
Safety Car

It will be interesting to see how your perspective changes if/when yours fails.
I can tell you now if you want an answer. "If" my 3 LT vehicle should ever develop any issue with it's dash then it would be an isolated problem with my vehicle and would not be any indication of greater industry-wide problem with everyone's dashboards. If however, scientifically and statistically supported quality control engineering studies are performed at some point in time that suggest there maybe be a problem here, then I am all ears.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:19 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
You know the more anyone investigates the topic of the "so-called 3 LT dash delamination" the more you will see there is actually very little definitive proof this is actually happening. Yeah there might be a couple of owners here that may have posted a pic but most posts that discuss this topic are nothing more than hearsay. It's pretty much like most posters will read one story about 1 peson having a problem and then everybody jumps on the bandwagon thinking that there is a big problem with the 3 LT leather, Well folks, if you search this forum as I have you will not find much evidence to support the view that there is a big problem with 3 LT leather dashes. Check for yourself. Many posts are just conjecture with nothing to back up any claims. I personally am not concerned with this issue. I don't plan on losing any sleep over leather dashes. Sorry Chicken Little, the sky is not falling.
I love my C7 including the 3LT dash.
MMD (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 01:49 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JFJr
I love my C7 including the 3LT dash.
There are many Corvette owners that also have 3 LT trim in their vehicle who would express the same sentiment. Happy you're loving your dream car.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:06 PM
spc54
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same issue. GM was less than helpful told me to go pound sand.... Originally said it was covered, once I drove 30 mins to the dealer it took them about an hour to tell me sorry it's not covered. Go figure.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:11 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spc54
Same issue. GM was less than helpful told me to go pound sand.... Originally said it was covered, once I drove 30 mins to the dealer it took them about an hour to tell me sorry it's not covered. Go figure.
How old is your car? Can you be more specific? What was their justification for the dealer responding to you negatively the way they did?
Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 PM
spc54
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spc54
Just a wee bit beyond the 3yr 36,000 mile warranty no? What did the dealers say?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I just returned from my local stealership with this exact issue. The leather is pulling back from the opening for the HUD. Stealer took pictures and told me it would be forwarded to a local supervisor for approval. I ask why the need, my warranty is still in effect? Was told all repairs under warranty require approval. Will update when stealer calls me back with an answer.

Last edited by Bubbletop409; 10-03-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:30 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

No way in Hell would I put a dashmat on a Corvette. What I would do, and have done on other cars, is have clear film installed on the windshield.According to the mfg, it cuts the heat and UV penetration by 98%. I don't know how true that is, but I do know the heat in my car after sitting outside for hours has been drastically reduced. I'd say only a few degrees over ambient vs the sweat box it used to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather on dash delaminating

Old 10-03-2018, 04:34 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redzone
No way in Hell would I put a dashmat on a Corvette. What I would do, and have done on other cars, is have clear film installed on the windshield.According to the mfg, it cuts the heat and UV penetration by 98%. I don't know how true that is, but I do know the heat in my car after sitting outside for hours has been drastically reduced. I'd say only a few degrees over ambient vs the sweat box it used to be.
Incredible. Sounds as if someone has found a way to defy the laws of Physics. OK, maybe aliens drive Corvettes also.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:36 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

This is not conclusive evidence. If GM believes there was a problem with the dash they would have established a process to address this.
BWahahahahhahahaha!
Spyderdale (06-12-2020)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
BWahahahahhahahaha!
do you have any idea why GM hires thousands of automotive engineers? Do you know what they they do at GM?
Spyderdale (06-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Leather on dash delaminating