Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather on dash delaminating

Old 10-03-2018, 04:50 PM
spc54
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Just a wee bit beyond the 3yr 36,000 mile warranty no? What did the dealers say?
My car has an extended warranty through GM due to having quite a few other issues. They originally said it was covered and made the appointment. Drove to the dealer, they changed their tune.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:28 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by spc54
My car has an extended warranty through GM due to having quite a few other issues. They originally said it was covered and made the appointment. Drove to the dealer, they changed their tune.
seems as if you changed your tune as well.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM
spc54
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD

seems as if you changed your tune as well.
changed my tune???

Also met a guy few months ago 3lz z06 same issue. And just saw another vette in a parking lot. Looked to see if 3lt. Same issue as mine. But these are all Florida cars.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:35 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spc54
changed my tune???

Also met a guy few months ago 3lz z06 same issue. And just saw another vette in a parking lot. Looked to see if 3lt. Same issue as mine. But these are all Florida cars.
I was speaking metaphorically. In your first post (#54) you had thrashed your 2 dealers as being evil. Now your saying everything is good.

I wonder if you kept looking and viewed every 3 LT/LZs that has ever been sold by Chevy how many would have your problem. I believe it would be a very low percentage of owners. BTW, Chevy does extensive testing of every new generation vehicle in extreme environments looking specifically for problems like yours. If detaching leather dashes were a serious problem it would have occured during their tourture testing development of the car. I would advise you if you sincerely wish to reduce the risk of your dash having future problems then use a dash mat on your vehicle. A sun shade would additionally provide benefit. There are also commercially available interior UV protectants that you can apply to the dash and other interior surfaces (including leather seats) that effectively reduce UV damage. These products are sold at many of the big online shops that sell professional detailing products.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Not to mention the amount of 3LT owners that DON'T leave their cars in the sun.. dont leave it in the freezing cold etc etc.

and that same tech at a little Chevy dealer in the middle of nj has done 3 of them in the last few months.

I have a 3LZ. I however take the precautions for the dash I knew could become an issue. I'm hoping I can slow the rate of drying out to keep it within tolerance of the adhesive. My garage is between 65f and 75f year round thankfully (was an addition that I had climate control installed and has very high R value).

Blue towel on the dash similar in color to my twilight blue interior and windows ever so cracked. If the car is sitting out at a show or somewhere similar in the heat that happens. And it doesn't sit in the cold anywhere becaise it isn't fun to wrangle this kind of power on top of cold unprepped asphalt . The joys of owning a beautifully trimmed interior comes at at a small price im willing to pay.

And another different location and time to show you it's not bs. It takes two seconds and i adhere to it. You want perfection? Buy a Koenigsegg lol for 98k or in my case discounted to 77.9k, is what it is.

Mine and my buddy who just had his replaced on the left (white C7Z) who still didnt learn but i got him to crack the windows at least lol.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Not to mention the amount of 3LT owners that DON'T leave their cars in the sun.. dont leave it in the freezing cold etc etc.

and that same tech at a little Chevy dealer in the middle of nj has done 3 of them in the last few months.

I have a 3LZ. I however take the precautions for the dash I knew could become an issue. I'm hoping I can slow the rate of drying out to keep it within tolerance of the adhesive. My garage is between 65f and 75f year round thankfully (was an addition that I had climate control installed and has very high R value).

Blue towel on the dash similar in color to my twilight blue interior and windows ever so cracked. If the car is sitting out at a show or somewhere similar in the heat that happens. And it doesn't sit in the cold anywhere becaise it isn't fun to wrangle this kind of power on top of cold unprepped asphalt . The joys of owning a beautifully trimmed interior comes at at a small price im willing to pay.

And another different location and time to show you it's not bs. It takes two seconds and i adhere to it. You want perfection? Buy a Koenigsegg lol for 98k or in my case discounted to 77.9k, is what it is.

Mine and my buddy who just had his replaced on the left (white C7Z) who still didnt learn but i got him to crack the windows at least lol.
I understand your paranoia about your car. Most owners here feel the same way and want to take every precautions to preserve there dream cars anyway they can. Here is something you may also what to conside.

https://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html

There are many other similar products like this you can use to protect your interior surfaces from the harmful effects of UV radiation. UV will ultimately destroy/degrade every surface on your automobile if no steps are taken to block these rays. UV will eventually crack all leather and vinyl surfaces. It will whiten the paint on your car and will eventually rot your tires.

Last edited by MMD; 10-03-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I was speaking metaphorically. In your first post (#54) you had thrashed your 2 dealers as being evil. Now your saying everything is good.

I wonder if you kept looking and viewed every 3 LT/LZs that has ever been sold by Chevy how many would have your problem. I believe it would be a very low percentage of owners. BTW, Chevy does extensive testing of every new generation vehicle in extreme environments looking specifically for problems like yours. If detaching leather dashes were a serious problem it would have occured during their tourture testing development of the car. I would advise you if you sincerely wish to reduce the risk of your dash having future problems then use a dash mat on your vehicle. A sun shade would additionally provide benefit. There are also commercially available interior UV protectants that you can apply to the dash and other interior surfaces (including leather seats) that effectively reduce UV damage. These products are sold at many of the big online shops that sell professional detailing products.
The leather in the Vette and any other GM car has a coating on it Thats why any leather treatment is not recommended since its not getting to the leather and the only thing needed to clean is to wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth if its really dirty GM recommends a mild soap on microfiber cloth
Spyderdale (06-12-2020)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
The leather in the Vette and any other GM car has a coating on it Thats why any leather treatment is not recommended since its not getting to the leather and the only thing needed to clean is to wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth if its really dirty GM recommends a mild soap on microfiber cloth
Jim

Have you ever used the Chevy configurator or have you ever been to your local Chevy dealer parts department? If you do you will notice that both sell car care products for your Corvette. Some products they sell are leather cleaners and leather conditioners. Now, don't you think that Chevy endorses these products if they are selling them directly? They are listed as accessories in the Car Configurator. I have heard all the arguements and read all the posts about care for Corvette leather. I am not a convinced in what has been said. I plan on caring for my vehicle leather interior and just using water and microfiber to me is insufficient to properly clean and protect these surfaces. UV rays will eventually break down any protection these seats have. Continual maintenance will be needed to provide long lasting benefit and protection. Plain water is unable to provide the protection needed.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMD

Jim

Have you ever used the Chevy configurator or have you ever been to your local Chevy dealer parts department? If you do you will notice that both sell car care products for your Corvette. Some products they sell are leather cleaners and leather conditioners. Now, don't you think that Chevy endorses these products if they are selling them directly? They are listed as accessories in the Car Configurator. I have heard all the arguements and read all the posts about care for Corvette leather. I am not a convinced in what has been said. I plan on caring for my vehicle leather interior and just using water and microfiber to me is insufficient to properly clean and protect these surfaces. UV rays will eventually break down any protection these seats have. Continual maintenance will be needed to provide long lasting benefit and protection. Plain water is unable to provide the protection needed.
I only paraphrased what is recommended in the owners manual. How many things are sold just for the profit and dont really do anything for the car. I just clean my interior with a mild cleaner and nothing else looks good but the leather is still coming up on the passenger side. Talked to my service writer they dont repair anything like that its farmed out to an upholstery shop so I may see if they can just re glue it somehow if not I will just live with it
Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 PM
MMD
Safety Car

I only paraphrased what is recommended in the owners manual. How many things are sold just for the profit and dont really do anything for the car. I just clean my interior with a mild cleaner and nothing else looks good but the leather is still coming up on the passenger side. Talked to my service writer they dont repair anything like that its farmed out to an upholstery shop so I may see if they can just re glue it somehow if not I will just live with it
Well, if you believe just cleaning your leather by wiping them down with water then go ahead and follow this advice. I believe if you follow that path that eventually your leather will develop cracks and become very stiff over the course of time.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I don't think there is a systemic issue. Having said that, my 3LT is going in for a new dash for this issue under warranty. A lot of the confirmation posts are from CF members like me that have the issue and post in all these threads - trust me I've read them all.I have to say, there are enough over several years that there is a QA issue to some extent.

I'm guessing GM has a S-load of these dashes sitting in a warehouse and they'd rather use them up then change the design. Boo GM.

In any event - if this is my biggest problem, I have a great life
Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 PM
spc54
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD

no everything is not good. Here is the white z06. Id say the problem is more common than you think.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMD

Well, if you believe just cleaning your leather by wiping them down with water then go ahead and follow this advice. I believe if you follow that path that eventually your leather will develop cracks and become very stiff over the course of time.
Well I want whats best for my car and looked at several sites on leather care and they recommended mothers or maguires leather conditioner. So maybe the owners manual isnt right. and I will have to rethink my cleaning and care thanks for your input
Old 10-03-2018, 09:03 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Check out what Tadge has to say about this subject. You might change your mind: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seat-care.html

MMD (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Check out what Tadge has to say about this subject. You might change your mind: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seat-care.html
I have and I am not convinced.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
I have and I am not convinced.
Seriously? So you are willing to suggest that Chevy condones and even promotes leather treatments because they sell the stuff at their parts departments, but when Tadge, chief engineer for Corvette, advises not to do it, you are not convinced? I am not willing to elevate Tadge to the status of a god or anything, but when he says those treatments could break down the coating on the leather and cause deterioration, I'm inclined to listen to him.

However, I agree with your major point. We don't know enough about these delaminations because we don't know the conditions these users subjected their cars to. If you kept a car out in the sunlight on a continual basis, I would be surprised if the leather did NOT delaminate. There's really not a lot of info to go on, and I disagree that the issue is somehow systemic because a few people have reported it.

Last edited by mschuyler; 10-03-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Well I want whats best for my car and looked at several sites on leather care and they recommended mothers or maguires leather conditioner. So maybe the owners manual isnt right. and I will have to rethink my cleaning and care thanks for your input
Also take a look as some of Sonax's products as well. They make excellent products too. I have used their conditioners on many cars and there products will not leave greasy residue that wipes off on your clothing as some other manaufatures sell. Many of these manufacturers that specialize in automotive detailing products for professionals and consumers have highly educated staff chemists who fully understand the chemistry of leather sold commercially for the auto industry. I would take the word of some of these folks before I take the word of people who are recommending treating leather by washing it with just water. This is one step above doing nothing to care for your leather seats.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather on dash delaminating

Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Tadge addressed cleaning, not conditioning.

The causal factor here is moisture, specifically, a lack of it. Lying a few inches away from the glass and adjacent to air vents, the leather dash covering is receiving the worst of possible elements - even in moderate climates. I don't have a leather dash but based on many of the photos in this thread and others, it seems that a good upholstery craftsman (proper tools) could re-glue the covering without such drastic removal procedures. Beyond that, the need for leather conditioning (moisturizing products) is obvious.Water is not going to do leather any good without additional elements to keep that moisture in the pores of the skin. Same for the seats-

Best of luck with this.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Seriously? So you are willing to suggest that Chevy condones and even promotes leather treatments because they sell the stuff at their parts departments, but when Tadge, chief engineer for Corvette, advises not to do it, you are not convinced? I am not willing to elevate Tadge to the status of a god or anything, but when he says those treatments could break down the coating on the leather and cause deterioration, I'm inclined to listen to him.
I am more inclined to listen to PhD chemists that work in the automotive industry that make many of the auto leather care products sold commercially. These folks are not stupid people. Wiping down leather with water as the only way to care for leather is insane. You can follow this advice. Do so at your own peril. Water does not prevent UV rays from breaking down the chemistry of manufactured materials including GM leathers.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

I can see a leather protectant working on a non coated leather as it will be absorbed into to the leather to protect it but if there is some kind of coating on the leather it would seem to me the protectant would sit on the leather and as you exit and enter the protectant would either evaporate or end up on clothing. I dont know just my thinking.
LimeRay (11-21-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather on dash delaminating